Win2X : Alternative Frontend

milkawax said:
docterry said:
Yes, able to copy to nand over USB cable. And games seem to work.

I accidentally said that gp2x was in /usr/bin. It is /usr/gp2x. However, the "links" directory is still empty. The "apps" directory contains the *.gpe and *.png for "LineDraw", "FlashVideo", "Music", "FlashGame", "Ebook", and "Photo". There is a file "TCPMP.png", but no accompanying gpe. Bummer. I loved TCPMP on my Palm.

We are going to get a bit closer to the problem...

If you are in explorer of Wiz go to /usr/gp2x dir and delete links and apps folder.
You can delete them with select button of wiz then you see delete / rename...
Then put Win2X 1.1.1 to your sd and my funpack.
Run first uninstall win2x then install.
Then for test my installer of funpack.

Then go into browser again and look into links folder in nand
/usr/gp2x/links/apps for example and say what you see...

I modified this version to make the folders in links if not avail
Run testinstall.gpe after installing Win2X

http://rapidshare.de/files/48934396/milkawax.rar.html

After this there should be these folders

/usr/gp2x/links/apps
/usr/gp2x/links/emus
/usr/gp2x/links/games
/usr/gp2x/links/ports

and in the /usr/gp2x/links/apps folder must be some link files.

Hallelujah! It worked! Win2X is even cooler when it works!

Thanks, milkawax. You are a guru.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nixot said:
I love this menu! It is far better than the infreme GPH menu! A suggestion for the next release is, could you add a INI importer? I know you said that the data files will be compatible through all new releases, but there may be many people who have billions of INI files and they would have to add all of their programs again.
Additionally, it would be great if you added a quick Notepad-like text editor with a QWERTY keyboard, as WizWrite is proving quite annoying to use.
Thank you Nixot!As I said before,INI is not necessary and implementing would take much of reconstruction of Win2X's data files.Maybe I'll add this
in a future release..
For the text editor...Yes.I will include an internal text editor/reader for basic text(like NotePad).

docterry said:
Hallelujah! It worked! Win2X is even cooler when it works!

Thanks, milkawax. You are a guru.

This makes me real happy ....

Dunno for real what the failure is but for now this problem is gone.

Win2X is the best for me and should also be it for all other, so have fun with it.

:D

Hi,very beautiful and useful menu however when I go out of the applications added by milkawax do I return to the menu GPH,thing I am wrong?

rasteryx said:
Hi,very beautiful and useful menu however when I go out of the applications added by milkawax do I return to the menu GPH,thing I am wrong?
Running the media apps that Milkawax kindly created,you enter in the original frontend from which you cannot return to Win2X automatically(except the Media Player).The only solution is to create a .gpe script that points back to Win2X and run it from within the GPH frontend.The script is like this:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/gp2x
exec gp2xmenu

chp said:
rasteryx said:
Running the media apps that Milkawax kindly created,you enter in the original frontend from which you cannot return to Win2X automatically(except the Media Player).The only solution is to create a .gpe script that points back to Win2X and run it from within the GPH frontend.The script is like this:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/gp2x
exec gp2xmenu

Just have a look into readme.

If you push Wiz MENU button out of these apps you get back into Win2X...

Great work chp!

I have some information on the problem running gp2xpectrum - the zx spectrum emulator. When I run from win2x I get a blank screen and have to switch off & on. However, if I run the default launcher and run from there it loads fine, after exiting the emulator it drops back to win2x, now when I run gp2xpectrum from win2x explorer it works!

This would indicate the when the default launcher is run, it is doing something that win2x isn't at bootup.

Hopefully this will help get to the bottom of the problem.

frolik said:
Great work chp!

I have some information on the problem running gp2xpectrum - the zx spectrum emulator. When I run from win2x I get a blank screen and have to switch off & on. However, if I run the default launcher and run from there it loads fine, after exiting the emulator it drops back to win2x, now when I run gp2xpectrum from win2x explorer it works!

This would indicate the when the default launcher is run, it is doing something that win2x isn't at bootup.

Hopefully this will help get to the bottom of the problem.
Thank you frolik!As I suspected,it is like the ts_calibrate problem.Obviously when WIZ boots up, it doesn't do the whole lib initialization but leaves some for the launcher aswell.On the other hand,there are some programs(like the ZX you mentioned) which depend on this initialization but don't do it themselves...The problem is that right now I'm so busy preparing Win2X's next release and I have so much to do,that I have no time to attend this...Anyway I'll look to it when I can...Thank you!

milkawax said:
chp said:
rasteryx said:
#!/bin/sh
cd /usr/gp2x
exec gp2xmenu

Just have a look into readme.

If you push Wiz MENU button out of these apps you get back into Win2X...

ok I have now understood thanks

Love the look and feel of the latest version. One issue though: whenever I select any of the link windows from the menu (apps, emulators, games, etc.) the screen just goes black and I have to reboot the Wiz. Everything runs fine if I run it from the explorer, but I can't access my links at all. Anyone else having this problem, or have any idea as to what's up?

Again, awesome frontend. Been a fan since its early inception.

EDIT: Just ran a reinstall of the frontend with new link folders and got it running just fine. Apparently it doesn't like the old link folders. :p

RocketNumber09 said:
I select any of the link windows from the menu (apps, emulators, games, etc.) the screen just goes black and I have to reboot the Wiz.

probably you copy links files from older version of win2x to newer witch is incompatible.Delete it from install folder and install again.

RocketNumber09 said:
Love the look and feel of the latest version. One issue though: whenever I select any of the link windows from the menu (apps, emulators, games, etc.) the screen just goes black and I have to reboot the Wiz. Everything runs fine if I run it from the explorer, but I can't access my links at all. Anyone else having this problem, or have any idea as to what's up?

EDIT: Just ran a reinstall of the frontend with new link folders and got it running just fine. Apparently it doesn't like the old link folders. :p
Thank you RocketNumber09 very much!I do my best to improve this frontend as much as it can be...
The links of v1.0 are incompatible with v1.1 and newer...so that is the problem.

chp said:
RocketNumber09 said:

Thank you RocketNumber09 very much!I do my best to improve this frontend as much as it can be...
The links of v1.0 are incompatible with v1.1 and newer...so that is the problem.

Ah, got'cha. I see that in the readme file now too. Silly me. Maybe in the next version, we can get a clear guide and how we should go about preserving our links so we can update without needing to re-do them? I know it's likely a simple matter of keeping the links folders, but still, it'd be nice.

Thanks again, man. You do great work.

RocketNumber09 said:
Ah, got'cha. I see that in the readme file now too. Silly me. Maybe in the next version, we can get a clear guide and how we should go about preserving our links so we can update without needing to re-do them? I know it's likely a simple matter of keeping the links folders, but still, it'd be nice.
Thanks again, man. You do great work.
You are right but for now there is no need for a guide.Any future releases will be compatible.But in case that something changes,I will make an upgrade script instead of a pure installation one.

OK...I have updated Win2X to v1.2.Here's the changes:
> Added recovery screen (Press and hold R at Win2X startup)
> Added GPH apps taskbar button for desktop and apps window(with no extra link files and the scripts are self-created.)
> Fixed overclocking (now runs on the default 533Mhz)
> Improved font appearance
> Added image rotation for Slideshow(see documentation)
> Changed desktop time to 24H format
> Added desktop icons text
> Expanded start menu response area
> Added custom icon auto-save
> Changed explorer list sort to alphabetical
> Added taskbar icon and touch screen support for explorer pop-up menu
> Fixed explorer copy/paste/delete/rename function. Now supports filenames with spaces
> Explorer R key mapped to “navigate the selected folder”
> Improved explorer list scrolling
> Other minor changes and fixes.
As I stated before,any new version will be compatible with v1.1 and newer...So just run "install.gpe" to update.
Thank you for your support.

Peter R said:
Where can we download this version from?
You can download it from here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?,0,0,0,7,286
I have already uploaded it,but as I can see it hasn't been refreshed by the server yet...

chp said:
Peter R said:
Where can we download this version from?
You can download it from here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?,0,0,0,7,286
I have already uploaded it,but as I can see it hasn't been refreshed by the server yet...

EvilDragon must approve the files manually, so it can last a while...

Back