Win2X : Alternative Frontend

Neil L said:
Another excellent update, thank you.
Thank you Neil L...About your suggestions...
1.I'll fix it...
2.This is connected with the above issue...
3.Requires much of reconstruction but I'll see what can be done...
4.It will be done!
5.For the moment...no.
6.I think you are suggesting a left sidebar with the GPH apps?Hmmm...in that case the taskbar button will be useless...
7.Yes I know.This is not permanent and I will rearrange some items in the next version.
8.Yes it can!Just press the MENU button.
9.I'll see to it.
10.I haven't found some time to test this yet but I'll fix it when I find some...
11.Ok to that too..
Thank again Neil L for the feedback!

Last edited by a moderator:
chp said:
Neil L said:
Another excellent update, thank you.
6.I think you are suggesting a left sidebar with the GPH apps?Hmmm...in that case the taskbar button will be useless...
i suggested that 2 pages ago.You can move [link text] and [link description] from window area to task bar, for now is a waste of space,if you do that this place will be more useful and you have more space for icons.

rorque said:
i suggested that 2 pages ago.You can move [link text] and [link description] from window area to task bar, for now is a waste of space,if you do that this place will be more useful and you have more space for icons.
The previous post refered to the desktop SideBar.
Well,even if I move these fields(text and description) to the taskbar,we will need double this size plus some more in order to have an extra icon row.

Would it be nice to add a some sound,is it everything very beautiful but too much silent,even to complete the screensaver with some image in movement type a logo of Win2x,thing done think of it?
However compliments for the good developed job ;)

rasteryx said:
Would it be nice to add a some sound,is it everything very beautiful but too much silent,even to complete the screensaver with some image in movement type a logo of Win2x,thing done think of it?
However compliments for the good developed job ;)
Indeed...I'm thinking on it...and I will do add some sound unless it slows things down...maybe some start up sound mostly would be nice...
The screensaver's purpose is to save battery energy by turning the screen light off and preventing the "burn" issue that other users have.But a
screensaver with image is just an effect without the previous purpose...So..sorry but I do not think that I'll implement something like this...
Anyway thank you for your suggestions!

Ok but if you change mind I have gotten by something using the paint,I hope you like unfortunately I don't have best tools to disposition

is there any chance to do icons behavior like thumbnails here?

http://www.m4de.com/

rorque said:

Hmmm...interesting suggestion rorque...I will consider this one...Yes,it can be easily done, but please remember that any visual effect added into Win2X requires more RAM and eventually more CPU cycles.I just want to keep Win2X as plain and faster as it can be...It is a fact that in the past many good programs fell in the
trap of "visual effect" gaining in visual appearence but losing in speed and usabiblity.So...for any visual to be added I need to test first that it
does not slow the system down...Anyway I like your idea...

chp said:
rorque said:

Hmmm...interesting suggestion rorque...I will consider this one...Yes,it can be easily done, but please remember that any visual effect added into Win2X requires more RAM and eventually more CPU cycles.I just want to keep Win2X as plain and faster as it can be...It is a fact that in the past many good programs fell in the
trap of "visual effect" gaining in visual appearence but losing in speed and usabiblity.So...for any visual to be added I need to test first that it
does not slow the system down...Anyway I like your idea...

i`m asking about that not for eyecandy effect[not only ;)] bo maybe it can do touch screen usable more than now.You can extend touch area with icon.Correct me if i wrong.

Thanks for taking my previous comments on board, one other thing I thought of is there a way to mount & unmount the SD cards (maybe with an option rather than having to turn the wiz off to change them) and is there a way (maybe an INI file) to get Win2X back after going to the old GP2X menu? (without starting a game & quitting it)
All we need now is for someone to make a new skin for the original front end to have the same style/colours as Win 2X. (So the videos page etc. don't look so odd)
Cheers, Neil

BTW, the 1.2 file you had trouble uploading the other day has now (finally) appeared on the archive, so there's now 2 on there! :)

At the moment if you remove the SD card and replace it with a new one while the Wiz is on, it won't see the new card unless you restart the Wiz.
I brought this up on an earlier post ( http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?/topic/49698-swapping-sd-cards/ ), Squidge mentioned the mount/unmount problem (in the last post on this page)
I thought if you could manually unmount the SD card (the wallpaper icons would disappear), change the card, then manually mount the new card (the wallpaper icons would appear again for the new card), without having to turn the Wiz off.
I hope this makes sense!
Cheers, Neil

Neil L said:
Thanks for taking my previous comments on board, one other thing I thought of is there a way to mount & unmount the SD cards (maybe with an option rather than having to turn the wiz off to change them) and is there a way (maybe an INI file) to get Win2X back after going to the old GP2X menu? (without starting a game & quitting it)
All we need now is for someone to make a new skin for the original front end to have the same style/colours as Win 2X. (So the videos page etc. don't look so odd)
Cheers, Neil

BTW, the 1.2 file you had trouble uploading the other day has now (finally) appeared on the archive, so there's now 2 on there! :)
Thank you Neil L for the info!According to my code,you do not have to turn of the WIZ in order to change SD.You can do it on the fly and Win2X will recognize it...
Please try it if you can,and let me know if it works....
OK...I didn't read you last post..Win2X recognizes the SD removal but not the new SD insertion.So in the next version
I will add a complete on-the-fly function...

Thanks for that, if only GPH took as much notice to what the customers want! :)
Cheers, Neil

One little thing while I'm here, could a & be added to the keyboard to save space on link names/descriptions? (BTW. & shows up as _ in the explorer), and the U in item names looks a bit like a V

Careful unplugging an SD card with your Wiz on, I lost 16 gb doing that - only happened once and I've done it a few times since, but I'd make sure I had a back up and certainly wouldn't risk it if I wasn't near my PC at the time.

TitanUranus said:
Careful unplugging an SD card with your Wiz on, I lost 16 gb doing that - only happened once and I've done it a few times since, but I'd make sure I had a back up and certainly wouldn't risk it if I wasn't near my PC at the time.
Yes,Titan I have had some problems too...Any SD card has its own signature that is recognized from any system that uses it.If a process requests memory access to an SD that is not there any more(or a different has replaced it) the results are unpredictable.But this situation can be (theoretically) avoided.I will make some experiments but if I see that is not completely safe,I will not support or recommend a function like this with Win2X(or any other software).

I love the layout of this frontend. I like being able to change the wallpaper too since I make wallpapers for my own use a lot. Earlier today I made a dragon wallpaper to go with the blue theme.

I have a couple suggestions:

It'd be nice to include an option if possible that would allow the user to choose either double-tapping the screen or single-tapping the screen when selecting things. I personally don't like the double-tap.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Gmenu2x had a built-in overclocking option that could be used with any application. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where. I never used Gmenu2x myself since my Wiz came with firmware 1.1. However, if it did have that feature built-in, then I think it'd be a nice addition for you to add to Win2X.

fett42 said:
I love the layout of this frontend. I have a couple suggestions:

It'd be nice to include an option if possible that would allow the user to choose either double-tapping the screen or single-tapping the screen when selecting things. I personally don't like the double-tap.

Also, correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that Gmenu2x had a built-in overclocking option that could be used with any application. I read that somewhere, but I don't remember where. I never used Gmenu2x myself since my Wiz came with firmware 1.1. However, if it did have that feature built-in, then I think it'd be a nice addition for you to add to Win2X.
Thanks fett42 for your feedback!
1.Your first suggestion will be a little bit uncomfortable if implemented.Because with the touchscreen(in comparison with a mouse device)you can execute an option by single-clicking on it but you can't select an item by just moving a cursor on it...So the select option would be unavailable..

2.There is an overclocking option!First you create a link(under any categroy window-e.g emulators).Then on the selected link you can press SELECT (or click on the respective taskbar button) and select the "CPU clock" under the pop-up menu.Finally you enter your desired cpu frequency(in MHz) and click on "Save changes".

chp said:
fett42 said:
I love the layout of this frontend. I have a couple suggestions:

Thanks fett42 for your feedback!
1.Your first suggestion will be a little bit uncomfortable if implemented.Because with the touchscreen(in comparison with a mouse device)you can execute an option by single-clicking on it but you can't select an item by just moving a cursor on it...So the select option would be unavailable..

2.There is an overclocking option!First you create a link(under any categroy window-e.g emulators).Then on the selected link you can press SELECT (or click on the respective taskbar button) and select the "CPU clock" under the pop-up menu.Finally you enter your desired cpu frequency(in MHz) and click on "Save changes".

1. That makes sense I guess. I never thought of it like that. I guess the double-click is the best option in the case of Win2X after reading your reply and thinking it over. Aside from not being able to use the select option, which completely slipped my mind, I can see where it'd be easy to also click the wrong icon or accidentally select an icon while trying to scroll using the stylus.

2. I just found the overclocking while messing around! lol. I came here to edit my post and say I found it, but you beat me. :p Thank you for replying though.

Anyway, Win2X is my favorite non-game download so far for the Wiz.

Neil L said:

I've just downloaded the Candy skin (from here: http://dl.openhandhelds.org/cgi-bin/wiz.cgi?0,0,0,0,50,284 ), this colour scheme is almost identical to the Win2X blue one. :)
It's just a shame about the orange start up & shutdown screens. :( (Can these be changed?)

Cheers, Neil

Back