Win2X : Alternative Frontend

chp said:
JayWhite said:
K i'll be patiently waiting. In the meantime I'll design some more stuff! Anything you want me to design? Or work on?
Hmmm...There is indeed if it is not a bother...I would very much like a nice startbutton(with any label or icon you like).Thank you Jay for your contribution!

That's gonna be tough, as for the canvas space is so small. but I'll try to think of something.

Last edited by a moderator:
JayWhite said:
That's gonna be tough, as for the canvas space is so small. but I'll try to think of something.
Don't want to bother you withthis as it is of no much importance.You have already made a good job with the keyboard.
Anyway, if there is something else that you don't like in Win2X and want to change just tell me.

chp said:
JayWhite said:
Don't want to bother you withthis as it is of no much importance.You have already made a good job with the keyboard.
Anyway, if there is something else that you don't like in Win2X and want to change just tell me.

I'd like a windows window appearance, not necessarily a minimize to task bar option, but a maximize window option. A button up near the close X button that when clicked, it brings it full screen, yet when clicked again, it re~sizes the window to your current window settings which you have now.

It's not really that big of a deal if I'm the only one wanting the option though..

chp said:
JayWhite said:
K i'll be patiently waiting. In the meantime I'll design some more stuff! Anything you want me to design? Or work on?
Hmmm...There is indeed if it is not a bother...I would very much like a nice startbutton(with any label or icon you like).Thank you Jay for your contribution!

Claustrophobic. lol

SB.png

It has a white border around it. It won't show up on GP32X, yet it should on the WiZ.

JayWhite said:
It's not really that big of a deal if I'm the only one wanting the option though..
No you are not the first one.But such an option requires much of reconstruction and it is not likely to implement it.

chp said:
JayWhite said:
How's it working? Perfectly!
Like a charm...You'll see yourself in the upcoming release.I also added a scroll effect when showing up the keyboard.

So CHP on this scroll effect, explain. Scrolls from left, top, right, or bottom?

When hitting shift, does the caps KB scroll in also? or does is just appear above?

Also, :lol: , when exiting out of the KB completely, does it scroll back out? or just ~vanish~?

JayWhite said:
So CHP on this scroll effect, explain. Scrolls from left, top, right, or bottom?

When hitting shift, does the caps KB scroll in also? or does is just appear above?

Also, :lol: , when exiting out of the KB completely, does it scroll back out? or just ~vanish~?
Nice questions....The scroll effect is from top to bottom,the caps KB just appears over and upon exiting it just vanish.

chp said:
JayWhite said:

Nice questions....The scroll effect is from top to bottom,the caps KB just appears over and upon exiting it just vanish.

Do you think it could scroll out also upon exiting? It'll just make it look more better when it scrolls in, and scrolls out..

JayWhite said:
Do you think it could scroll out also upon exiting? It'll just make it look more better when it scrolls in, and scrolls out..
Scroll in and scroll out....Already done!It is much nicer this way... :)

chp said:
JayWhite said:
Scroll in and scroll out....Already done!It is much nicer this way... :)

Yes sir!!!!!

I was wondering if the other suggestions I made were ever implemented? Things like a larger icon window (more icons), boot menu with the options to set, and keep, a certain menu (ex: Make win2X default, Make original default) so that you don't need to hold R on every boot. How about folder support either on desktop or window?

Also with all of these fancy animations, sound effects, scrolling keyboards, big startup-screens hasn't the startup time ballooned up due to all of the extra features? Can some of these be disabled to make boot-up faster? I would just want to get to my apps fast and not watch slideshows of startup screens etc. Is that possible?

Thanks for the good work.

JayWhite said:
Update:

Changed the blue, The fonts still remain a puzzle, as to different users want different stuff.

I'm thinking this should do it for the color.

KB5L.png
If anybody wants their own certain font, I can upload a blank keyboard and you can fill in the void. :lol:

Can you do another color other than blue? Blue is the absolute most OLED hostile color there is. The blue emitter wears/burns the screen fastest and takes the most power of any color. Yellows, browns etc are better for that.

DaveC said:
I was wondering if the other suggestions I made were ever implemented? Things like a larger icon window (more icons), boot menu with the options to set, and keep, a certain menu (ex: Make win2X default, Make original default) so that you don't need to hold R on every boot. How about folder support either on desktop or window?

Also with all of these fancy animations, sound effects, scrolling keyboards, big startup-screens hasn't the startup time ballooned up due to all of the extra features? Can some of these be disabled to make boot-up faster? I would just want to get to my apps fast and not watch slideshows of startup screens etc. Is that possible?

The slide shows of start up screens I'd like to see.

What color would you like? Also, how is the font? Want a different font that you have in mind? Which one?

JayWhite said:
DaveC said:

The slide shows of start up screens I'd like to see.

What color would you like? Also, how is the font? Want a different font that you have in mind? Which one?

The startup screen takes time to load, I would like an option to get rid of it, same with sound effects. I don't need to see (and wait for) a pretty picture everytime I boot up. It gets old for me after the first few times and I would just like faster boot times. This is especially important when testing games etc where you need to boot allot.

As for the color, you are the artist, I would just like something that doesn't use much blue in it. The font should be something more elegant and not like a handwritten or cursive type font in my opinion. Are these graphics user changeable? If so then you need not bother as we could bring into a paint program and change the color to what we like.

The two boot screens I would love to see gone are the GP2X screens. I doubt it can happen?

The login screen I can understand. I'd like to keep it, while others would not. I think chp is making this an option.

I was actually thinking of making a template of the keyboard, so that the users can indeed make it how 'they' want. I use photoshop. I can upload the psd file, or I can even make a blank png file with nothing but the outlines, that way any color and any font can be added.

DaveC said:
DaveC said:

The startup screen takes time to load, I would like an option to get rid of it, same with sound effects. I don't need to see (and wait for) a pretty picture everytime I boot up. It gets old for me after the first few times and I would just like faster boot times. This is especially important when testing games etc where you need to boot allot.

As for the color, you are the artist, I would just like something that doesn't use much blue in it. The font should be something more elegant and not like a handwritten or cursive type font in my opinion. Are these graphics user changeable? If so then you need not bother as we could bring into a paint program and change the color to what we like.
First of,I haven't forgot your suggestions DaveC.As I said before bigger windows is not in my plans.
Second,the options you'd like to have in the recovery menu,will be in the next release.
Also I will add an option to disable the welcome screen,so don't worry about the boot load any more.
And finally the graphics are totally changeable(just edit the appropriate image file you need)so we don't need to bother JayWhite all the time
about the color,the font etc...Any changes could be user-dependent.
Hope to cleared things out for you.Thank you for the appreciation.

Forgot to mention that the "fancy" effects do not affect the boot loading time and the same goes for the sounds.
I think that I clearly stated in a previous post,that if someone don't want to have sounds,then he can set the volume to 0(mute) and in that way he preserves CPU and RAM cycles(as the sounds don't load up in memory).

Win2X will remain as clean as it is.

chp said:
First of,I haven't forgot your suggestions DaveC.As I said before bigger windows is not in my plans.
Second,the options you'd like to have in the recovery menu,will be in the next release.
Also I will add an option to disable the welcome screen,so don't worry about the boot load any more.
And finally the graphics are totally changeable(just edit the appropriate image file you need)so we don't need to bother JayWhite all the time
about the color,the font etc...Any changes could be user-dependent.
Hope to cleared things out for you.Thank you for the appreciation.

Forgot to mention that the "fancy" effects do not affect the boot loading time and the same goes for the sounds.
I think that I clearly stated in a previous post,that if someone don't want to have sounds,then he can set the volume to 0(mute) and in that way he preserves CPU and RAM cycles(as the sounds don't load up in memory).

Win2X will remain as clean as it is.
Ok thanks for the info. I thought you said in previous posts that you would consider larger window in a later release. I am still finding the reduced resolution pretty cramped as 320 x 240 is low enough without limiting it even further. There really wasn't a reason stated why this is not possible. Even if you wanted to keep the number of icons low at only 15, a larger area would allow longer icon names, and for icons to be spread out further making them not look as cramped together. It just makes more sense to do that than not, unless it is some coding nighmare to do.

Thanks for the work though.

DaveC said:

maybe you like skin i work in.
syswin.png
usbwin.png

ofcourse, after finish i make diffrent colorset, and maybe ask Chp to change some in windows like bars position and colors.
BTW, Chp, i have idea of little visual feature, can you fill screen behind active window with 50% alpha image, or 1pixel grid?It can easly focus user attention on active window.

DaveC said:
Ok thanks for the info. I thought you said in previous posts that you would consider larger window in a later release. I am still finding the reduced resolution pretty cramped as 320 x 240 is low enough without limiting it even further. There really wasn't a reason stated why this is not possible. Even if you wanted to keep the number of icons low at only 15, a larger area would allow longer icon names, and for icons to be spread out further making them not look as cramped together. It just makes more sense to do that than not, unless it is some coding nighmare to do.

Thanks for the work though.
It is not a code nightmare at all.But it would take some time to implement as it would require much of re-coding and many re-calculations.
It would be the same as writing Win2X from the beginning(almost).And time is really on pressure on me...so I choose to fix and implement more
urgent issues for now.

But in the future you may see windows resizing aswell as pdf and text support(sth I want to do).It depends on Win2X's support and !mostly! on my
free time..!

Blank.png

Color what you will, use font what you will.
Just remember, there are two keyboards to complement the 'shift' factor.
So refer to my previous keyboards in this forum for key letter/symbol positions.

rorque said:
maybe you like skin i work in.
ofcourse, after finish i make diffrent colorset, and maybe ask Chp to change some in windows like bars position and colors.
BTW, Chp, i have idea of little visual feature, can you fill screen behind active window with 50% alpha image, or 1pixel grid?It can easly focus user attention on active window.
I like you skin rorque!Although the system window is a bit vertically streched...Anyway aplha blend can easily be done.
In fact I have already done it(to catch the users attention-as you said too) but I gave it up, as for some reason, it is a slow process and
causes more CPU cycles.Sorry to tell,but no effect will be implemented that makes Win2X to slowdown and consume more battery energy.
Good work with the skin!I'd like to see it a complete skin and include it in Win2X.(please keep the windows images as the same size as you can).

Back