Wind And Water: Puzzle Battles Teaser Demo Soon!

YuanHao

Website
www.yuanworks.com
Hello! This is Yuan Hao.

We at Yuan Works wanted to anounce you that the Teaser Demo of the commercial game Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles will be available this Sunday on our website! The Demo will include several playable modes, tutorials, puzzles, and some other hidden surprises! Be sure to check our website for news, blog, and special announcements like the Wind and Water Contest! Hope you have fun!

Here are some screenshots for those who haven't seen the game:

puzzle.jpg

tutorial4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks cool. Howcome the play area is so small though? Shouldn't it fill the screen more?

Other than that the graphics are real nice.

Looks cool. Howcome the play area is so small though? Shouldn't it fill the screen more?

Hi DaveC, first of all, thank you for the good comments :)

There's a combo and chain system, and if the playable screen were bigger it would be harder to dominate the full screen (for instante, a full combo is a move where you clear all the blocks of one color). Also, like Tetris, the game has several rules, and the play area is n-rows by m-columns.

And yes, the main reason is that:

I think it has a '2 player' (ie human vs cpu) version that filled the screen more...?

Our puzzle game's forte is the 2 player battle mode. A lot of people have told us to add USB joystick support for the game so that two players can actually play in one GP2X, and we'll definitely do it for the full release. You also get to battle the AI in 2 player mode :)

Here's a video of us playing in 2-player VS Battle, sorry about the quality, it's a little bad :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iWpPiqJwlXs

i can't wait for this to be released!

edit: i'm a little confused about your past works...have there been any releases? and is there any chance of porting one of the past games listed in your history page to the gp2x? i'd even be interested in playing the windows versions, but there's no downloads :(

I've been waiting eagerly for this ever since it was first announced, can't wait to try it tomorrow. If it's anywhere near as much fun as it looks I will definitely be supporting the devs by purchasing it.

On a side note, it's incredibly refreshing to meet a dev that is so polite and pleasant to talk to. I'm not sure why but far too many think they need to be arogant and rude.

i can't wait for this to be released!

edit: i'm a little confused about your past works...have there been any releases? and is there any chance of porting one of the past games listed in your history page to the gp2x? i'd even be interested in playing the windows versions, but there's no downloads :(

Depending on how W&W fares on the GP2X, we'll consider porting some of our older games :)

I've been waiting eagerly for this ever since it was first announced, can't wait to try it tomorrow. If it's anywhere near as much fun as it looks I will definitely be supporting the devs by purchasing it.

On a side note, it's incredibly refreshing to meet a dev that is so polite and pleasant to talk to. I'm not sure why but far too many think they need to be arogant and rude.

Thank you :) We like good comments from the community and it helps us develop our game :)

Hi! It's Yuan-Hsi. How are you all doing?

Thank you very much for all the positive feedback! It's very appreciated.

Yeah, we might be in the game industry and what not, but we're not too different from you guys! We love our GP2X and the community, and we enjoy the programs and games other people make for this great console, just like everybody else here.

And besides, how could we not be polite to people willing to purchase our game? We're the ones thankful for all the great support we've gotten so far :p

Well, gotta go back to work on the Demo! Hope everyone likes it!

Yuan

Looks cool! Can't wait for the demo. Oh and you could up the size of everything so as to have a larger screen with the same amount of playing area, it would just look bigger.
Or they could add an "rotation mode" for full-screen 1-field-gamemodes. :) :) :)
So you turn the gp2x 90° and play with stick and vol-Buttons like some vertical Mame-Games. ;)

I really like such Puzzle Games. And without "Super Puzzle Fighter II" on GP2X I still search for the ultimate GP2X Puzzle Game (Tilematch was close on that ^^)

Can't wait for the Demo. Hope the Download will be 56k-Modem-user-friendly (don't laugh ^^""" )

And I have the song "Fire Water Burn" from the Bloodhound Gang in my head when I think on this game here....hm...just why.... :lol:

Hi DaveC, first of all, thank you for the good comments :)

There's a combo and chain system, and if the playable screen were bigger it would be harder to dominate the full screen (for instante, a full combo is a move where you clear all the blocks of one color). Also, like Tetris, the game has several rules, and the play area is n-rows by m-columns.

Hi,

I am not quite sure what that means. Why does the combo system need a small screen area? I really don't understand. It is just that it looks like the game play area is GBA-micro sized. If you mean icons have to come on screen and you need space for those ok but there may be better ways. Maybe you could make tranparent overlays that slide on screen, then slide off etc. As far as multiplayer, cool but finding 2 people with GP2Xs that are within 30 miles and know each other is probably kind of rare.

Hi there! My name is Yuan-Hsi Chiang and I'm in charge of most of the art, sound, and design in Yuan Works.

DaveC and everyone else with this question, I'll try to explain as best as I can.

More space equals more blocks. The game has Combos and Chains, and some moves, like the full Combo, would be very difficult with more blocks. The rules for the game are the same for single player and puzzle battles; that is: ten columns and eight rows. And the things that slide throught the screen are semi-transparent already.

If you watch a Tetris, Puzzle Fighter, Panel de Pon/Tetris Attack, Pnickies, Puzzle Bubble, Hexic, etc. game, you might notice that the whole screen isn't filled, even when there is only a single player, and it's because of the same reason.

For multiplayer you don't need another person with a GP2X. You can play (in the full version, of course) with two players on one GP2X by connecting a USB controller. There is also a big part of the game that consists in battling against the computer in increasing difficulties.

I hope this clears it a bit more, and please feel free to download the teaser demo of our game soon!

Thank you for your interests and comments.

Yuan

I really like such Puzzle Games. And without "Super Puzzle Fighter II" on GP2X I still search for the ultimate GP2X Puzzle Game (Tilematch was close on that ^^)

Can't wait for the Demo. Hope the Download will be 56k-Modem-user-friendly (don't laugh ^^""" )

And I have the song "Fire Water Burn" from the Bloodhound Gang in my head when I think on this game here....hm...just why.... :lol:

Hi, I too love puzzle games and puzzle fighter is one of my favs :)

It's not too 56k-modem-friendly, but it's about 10MB (with music) but we did the best we could :) hope you can download it and if you can't we'll split the zip file, just tell us.

Never heard that song! But if I did you could swear the name for our game is a ripoff! :D

Back