Windows Mobile Wine?

Jourdy288

http://yokozar.livejournal.com/20155.html

Does anybody think we'll ever see a usable version of WINE for the Pandora, but one for Windows Mobile programs?
EDIT: Also, I apologize for any lack of clarity this post may have, I wrote it right off the top of my head. My question still stands, however...

I understood it fine, though I'm hoping more for a wine + qemu merge that can run desktop windows applications at a decent speed, if such a thing is possible. One post saying it should be able to achieve 50% of x86 speed clock by clock did get my hopes up though, but it would probably be no simple task. Running WM apps would make good usage of the touchscreen though, something the current apps designed for desktops doesn't.

Edit: Though, windows mobile isn't really all that touch screen friendly either, WebOS, iPhone OS and Android is much better in that aspect.

what do you mean by windows mobile wine? windows mobile can be built to run on ARM machines too...

I think he mean a complete reimplementation of the windows mobile API So you could run windows mobile apps within the pandora OS.
Just like wine does on x86 for the windows API

Please remember that wine took 17years to become what it is...

sebt3 said:
I think he mean a complete reimplementation of the windows mobile API So you could run windows mobile apps within the pandora OS.
Just like wine does on x86 for the windows API

Please remember that wine took 17years to become what it is...

if it's what he means, building a CE platform from TI's BSP and the beagleboard windows CE project would surely be easier and faster than this "wine for CE" crazy things... but I guess he has not understood, that only application build for a target that's similar to the pandora would run on this target... a windows CE apps will only run on the machine it's designed for, and not on any windows CE machine as some people seems to think...

Last edited by a moderator:
Jourdy288 said:
a usable version of WINE for the Pandora, but one for Windows Mobile programs?

That would be like using the Oxford dictionary of English to read a book in Chinese. That is... good luck.

Elwing said:
what do you mean by windows mobile wine? windows mobile can be built to run on ARM machines too...
Wine is software that lets you run x86 Windows programs on x86 Linux.

He wants software that lets you run ARM WindowsCE programs on ARM Linux.

Theoretically possible anyway. It'd be a big project, though.

Are there many apps for Windows Mobile that people would actually want to use, and that an alternative couldn't be made for?

Did no one here read the article that Jourdy linked? Relevant line:
The article said:
The Windows Mobile API was designed to be as close to Win32 as possible.  This means that getting Windows Mobile apps to work inside Wine isn't that much of a stretch - the code changes may even be trivial, at least for Windows Mobile apps on x86.
According to the article, the actual challenge is that all the Wine devs have always targeted x86, so porting to ARM might be tough, but no one's ever actually tried it.

VRAndy said:
Elwing said:
Wine is software that lets you run x86 Windows programs on x86 Linux.

He wants software that lets you run ARM WindowsCE programs on ARM Linux.

Theoretically possible anyway. It'd be a big project, though.

Thank you, that's just what I'm getting at.

You could probably (?) run Windows Mobile on a Pandora in the first place, You don't really need to emulate it IIRC.

Back