Windows Mobile

jsnds99

Still Fresh
Hi,
I have been thinking that people have emulated windows 95 on the gp2x which must be hard and the gp2x isn't that fast. However why hasn't someone tried to emulate windows mobile because its made for handheld touchscreen devices with a cpu around 200Mhz so it would work great on the gp2x f200 :gp2x . I don't have any idea on how to emulate it but it might be worth trying.
Elliot

:gp2x is the best

Or you could skip emulation entirely and just run Windows Mobile on your GP2X, which has been done before (and also even on the GP32)

Obviously there are no links to download it as that would be illegal.

If you decided to 'emulate' instead for some reason (I'm thinking something like WINE for Windows Mobile), you would still need all the DLLs, which would be illegal to distribute, so everyone would need a device running Windows mobile already to get them from, and if you have that, why not just run the apps on that?

Squidge said:
Or you could skip emulation entirely and just run Windows Mobile on your GP2X, which has been done before (and also even on the GP32)

Obviously there are no links to download it as that would be illegal.

If you decided to 'emulate' instead for some reason (I'm thinking something like WINE for Windows Mobile), you would still need all the DLLs, which would be illegal to distribute, so everyone would need a device running Windows mobile already to get them from, and if you have that, why not just run the apps on that?
Well, as in my case (hypothetical since I don't own a GP2X, but I think it would be interesting to see Windows Mobile/CE on the Pandora or Wiz, via either a port or WINE) one might have one or more Windows-based Pocket PCs with a broken screen and/or dead battery. Or one just might not want to carry around multiple devices.

A port might involve too many legal problems, but how hard would something like WINE be to implement anyway? I doubt the Windows Mobile API is anywhere near as complex or strange as the full Windows ones, and isn't it largely a subset anyway, meaning that a lot of work from WINE could be reused?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back