Windows Xp Usb Problem

Yeah they all show up on the pc and can be accessed fine via the gp2x cable, seems the GP2x does not like XP format style (fat or fat32), just acts like the card isn't there.

Problem is windows puts a lot of odd system folders etc. on the card, some its doing something the GP2X does not like.

I'm going to try formatting it on something else.

On the windows system tray do you have the safely remove hardware icon got the green arrow on it pointing left. Are you clicking on that to unmount the device? Something else to rule out.

Is the card being recognised by the GP2X?

When you reconnect are all the files showing on your PC as still being on the card?

Nope, unmounting the device using that method didn't work. I don't think it's recognising the card, but it's always got an option to read from SD memory if there's a card inserted or not, and the files are all still on the card when I access it through the USB cable/windows.

If this is a mounting problem as Craig has suggested it would make a certain amount of sense - the same thing happened to the GP32 if you tried to format the SMC using Windows... :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah they all show up on the pc and can be accessed fine via the gp2x cable, seems the GP2x does not like XP format style (fat or fat32), just acts like the card isn't there.

Problem is windows puts a lot of odd system folders etc. on the card, some its doing something the GP2X does not like.

I'm going to try formatting it on something else.

So does the GP2X not have a utility for formatting the card built in?

I ask because my Fuji S7000 won't read CF cards formatted in WinXp, but WinXp can read cards formatted by the camera. :huh: Like you say windows does funny things during a format when it creates its own folders, and I always use Slubmans fimware to format my SMC's over windows because of reliability afterwards.

I can only sepculate how many different ways you have tried it, but if the GP2X can format the card, then try reconnecting it windows if you have usbmon.exe installed.

Best of luck

Nope, unmounting the device using that method didn't work. I don't think it's recognising the card, but it's always got an option to read from SD memory if there's a card inserted or not, and the files are all still on the card when I access it through the USB cable/windows.

If this is a mounting problem as Craig has suggested it would make a certain amount of sense - the same thing happened to the GP32 if you tried to format the SMC using Windows... :(

So we might end up needing a utility like the one which we used when formatting
our SMCs in WinXp :eek:

Hi Folks
just entered the world of GP2X and have been directed here by the distributors.
I'm running Win XP Pro SP1 on two different computers, neither of which list the console in my computer. Downloaded the usbmon exe. file to both and it made not a jot of difference.

I transferred a film in avi format, an mp3 and ogg music file via the card reader on one of my computers and the console plays the music faultlessly. The film is played at high speed but the sound track is in normal time!
The games I downloaded to the sd card in the same way refused to load.
None of my Linux distros list the console either (SuSE 9.1, Puppy and Kubuntu).

From the discussion here, it seems that the usb problem "dealt with" just before release hasn't worked.

Has anyone managed to access their GP2X through the usb lead via their pc?

Regards
Mark

I have tried to connect via USB using both of my computer systems.

The first sys. has a combination of both USB1.1 and USB2.0 ports and runs WindowsXP Pro SP2. It would not detect the GP2X...even with that USBmon util. I've tried flipping between USB1 and 2 ports, but nothing.

My second computer duel boots with Windows2000 (Server edition SP4) and GNU/Linux (ubuntu 10.x [Breezy]) and has USB2.0 ports. Again, it failed to communicate with the GP2X in anyway in both Linux and Win2k.

I have a USB miniport digi-cam which works perfectly on both systems and across all three OS's, so I tested the GP2X with its lead but again no luck!

Let's just hope Radix have actually wired the USB controller chip correctly!

Huxley, I've got the EXACT same problem, now I wonder if my SD got killed while formatting.

Test to browse it with the Explorer mode.... I can see som corrupted-looking font where the items should be...

when i order mine in a few days. When i get it ill try to devote a bit of time to testing this with my various different cables etc but i dont think that that will help.

I have xp sp2, found it straight away no problem on usb... But i do have a card reader that required drivers (trust unit) maybe this helped.

Right, just an update on this one.

I haven't solved the problem, but I did manage to re-format the card properly using an SD card reader. It can now read & write files to the SD card either through USB or a card reader, and the GP2X will recognise the files.

Basically, because GPH haven't yet provided a proper format tool, you may have difficulty using the GP2X without a card reader. Or at least format the SD using one, and then you should be able to transfer files across using the USB as intended. But it's well worth getting a proper card reader for the battery saving implications alone.

Craig: I'm using XP Home. I formatted the card using a card reader on XP Pro, though. Once the card is formatted properly everything works fine regardless of OS. It's formatting the card through the USB that's the problem...I think :S

I completed a new computer build this Saturday, Win XP Pro SP2, I've reformatted my SD card using a card reader and still the GP2X doesn't register on my computer when plugged in via the usb lead.
The games loaded on the SD card do not load onto the GP2X either.
Hopefully a firmware upgrade will cure this usb problem.

Can someone please explain how to install upgrades from the SD card. My association with this device so far has not been a happy one, nothing appears to work, or have I got a duff one?

What card are you using? size? brand?
Did you format it to fat32? (use the card reader when formatting)
Skip usb completely for now and use the cardreader for all transfers.

What card are you using? size? brand?
Did you format it to fat32? (use the card reader when formatting)
Skip usb completely for now and use the cardreader for all transfers.

The card is a Viking 1GB, formatted to fat32 via the card reader. Music can be played, ogg and mp3. Movies tend to play at high speed with the audio track played at normal speed.

WinXP's USB support isn't the greatest, try booting with a Linux live CD to see if Linux recognizes the GP2X, if it does you know this is a software problem. I post my instructions on how to clean up all kinds of USB stupidity here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=298781

I don't have a GP2X yet, but this method has helped me with other USB devices that have problems being recognized by WinXP.

WinXP's USB support isn't the greatest, try booting with a Linux live CD to see if Linux recognizes the GP2X, if it does you know this is a software problem. I post my instructions on how to clean up all kinds of USB stupidity here:

http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showt...ndpost&p=298781

I don't have a GP2X yet, but this method has helped me with other USB devices that have problems being recognized by WinXP.
Hi, thanks for the reply.
None of my Linux distro's SuSe 9.1, Puppy live, Kubuntu live, recognise it.

Back