Windows Xp

It seems that compaq didnt support Windows 2000. Im not going to XP bloat shit. I might go to 98SE, its more stable than ME. Or Ill buy a new motherboard. If I buy a new mother board is that me free of all the compaq shit? Like Bios and all?

Pretty much, but you might have difficulty finding drivers for the components.

What kind of graphics do you have. If they're on board then they'll probably be some kind of geforce MX or equivalent.

You can buy a motherboard with that on board for I dunno... around £35-£45?

But better yet, you'd be better of buying a seperate card. The MX series is really cheap but even better, I saw a geforce 4200ti 128MB (same card as me ;) )go for £30 on ebay.

Or check out here: http://www.videocardshop.co.uk/?source=adwords

I'm just trying to give you the cheapest options so as not to put you off. Seeing as all you want to do is install another version of windows.

Yeah, you should be fine then.

Don't forget to find out what kind of ram and processor you have (I.E. ddr? Athlon XP?) So you can buy a compatable motherboard.

btw, I've got an ECS K7S5A I want to sell. It takes 4x AGP, AthlonXP (officially up to 2600+ I think), DDR ram and it has on-board sound.

I'd sell it for hmmm... £15 to you sir.

£25 with a mint condition (afaik) case with PSU.

How much would an Athlon XP be?

A 2600+ one?

I might take that off your hands cause im thinking Ill just build my own computer, and donate this one to my annoying sister.

EDIT: Whats the best processer to get if im looking around 2.4Ghz?

EDIT: Is that board of yours compatible with this?

Hi! I'm also building a PC... and I did some research of processor speeds. Intel is always a little bit cheaper but I'd go with Athlon anyway, I just trust them more. Get 64-bit if you can afford it, since that's where we're headed. And there is no 'sweet spot' from what I've seen - the higher you go, the more expensive it gets, more or less uniformly. There's nowhere where it's cheaper £/GHz or anything. So 2.4-2.6 is a good choice. Check ebuyer for prices...or http://www.cclcomputing.co.uk/ which is my shop of choice.

For a setup, I use a hardware firewall in my router, with most ports blocked. For incoming protection I use the free Sygate Personal Firewall which is about as good as Zone Alarm but a lot faster. For virus checks, I don't bother with a commercial one since a good firewall will stop most things, and people without firewalls are going to be hit by attacks that slip past their virus checker. Just use http://housecall.trendmicro.com/ to scan anything suspicious - it's free, ActiveX, runs in IE, and is always updated to the max.

thecheat posted on Jul 29 2004 at 09:01 PM said:
you want real stability, go for Unix (you thought i was gonna say mac, huh?)
Heh, of course OS X is built upon a UNIX clone...

Last edited by a moderator:
Well it depends what you want to spend.

I'm going to get a 2500+ barton, as they're excellent to overclock up to xp3000+ speeds and only cost around £40 from ebuyer.

Get my motherboard if you just want a quick cheap upgrade/replacement. But if you want to spend out on a fast PC then you'd be better of with an nforce2 or 3 board or something.

finty101 posted on Jul 30 2004 at 01:18 PM said:
Ill leave it then, Im going for a really good PC, dont care how long it takes me!
...Then you could go for one of the nforce3 boards ebuyer recommends on the right of the page on the link you provided

...Add a gig of PC3200 or better ram and an expensive nvidia or ATI graphics card and enjoy doom3.

generalnmx posted on Jul 30 2004 at 01:37 PM said:
pubjoe...PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THE EDIT FEATURE, IT'S THAT BUTTON ON THE TOP-RIGHT THAT SAYS "EDIT", THANK YOU!!!
I think it was to do with quotes. You did it on this page too.

EDIT: No, that was rico. sorry.

You didn't ask me, but anyway:

I've recently got myself one of these:
EQ3702.jpg

And put a 160GB and an 80GB (for emu's etc) HDD in it, my DVD drive and a LG Dual Layer 12x DVD writer
dvdlg.4120ba.jpg

, And, almost forgot, my 21inch phillips monitor.

My next step is to buy a AthlonXP 2500+ barton and overclock it to 3000/3200+
P0047843_C0000022_P0000000.jpg

Then buy 2 x 1GB sticks of Kingston Hyper-X DDR 400
80097-45.jpg

Then if I'm feeling flush, buy a Gainward GeForce 6800 256MB DDR 2.8ns AGP, "Ultra/2200 Golden Sample

Now all I need is about £600-£700 pounds :rolleyes: , Mmm... How much do I have left on my credit card

generalnmx posted on Jul 30 2004 at 01:37 PM said:
pubjoe...PLEASE LEARN HOW TO USE THE EDIT FEATURE, IT'S THAT BUTTON ON THE TOP-RIGHT THAT SAYS "EDIT", THANK YOU!!!
Please don't shout for such trivial matters.

I kept the posts seperate as I was replying on different subjects (also posted seperately).

Oh, allright then...

flinty --- merged as politely requested <_< said:
Errr.... thanks, but it's really not as top of the range as all that. Everything I've bought so far, I've got pretty cheaply (the monitor was £50). The 2GB of ram is maybe splashing out a bit too much, but I've got the bug now!!! And at that price (as linked) it's very cheap for HyperX, ebuyer sells half as much for more cash!

But the case is nice though isn't it? I never thought I'd get one of these until I saw it come up on ebay. It had top Motherboard for the time and has constantly surprised me on how stable, cool & quite it is. :lol:

Bah the emphasis was just a joke :p Seriously though, everyone should just use the QUOTE tag manually instead of the "Quote" button if you feel the need to quote multiple posts in a row. Remember that scrolling down will give you all the posts on the current page.

Don't worry pubjoe, you know I love you :wub:

Back