Windups Site Down

Forevereon

Still Fresh
Website
Visit site
Hi, I'm very virgin to the GP32 scene, as my Gp32 is still in the shipping process from LikSang. Now I'm freaking out because I started collecting emulators and utilities a while ago and put them on a floppy for safe keeping, and anyone can guess what happened to that floppy. =\

So last night I started collecting utilities like shell replacements and firmewares to try later on, and all sorts of neat things, and I noticed that some sites and dowloads were gone, and the one that shocked me the most was Windups site, which keeps bringing up a message BANDWIDTH FOR THIS SITE EXCEEDED.

What I was wondering was if anyone knows how long this has been, how long it could take to fix, a place for me to get windups other than from the official site, or if anyone is willing to email me the windups fxe so I can have it when the GP32 arrives probably Monday or Tuesday so I don't have to rock back and forth crying like a baby because my expensive portable emulator has no shell to play with? *gasp run on sentance*

I would appreciate from one hard core gamer/sftwrepirate to another. Please please pleae.

Thanks

You know it does come with the original firmware. You kind of implied that the GP32 is useless without Windups, when it isn't. Also, I'd recommend that you just flash to MultiFW and use Pacrom - YAFL, as many consider it to be a lot better than Windups.

Well, in my opinion, you should use either gpbios, because this allows you to easily boot up any fxe you want. All you have to do is flash to this firmware and then is starts up just like how the gp32 started, with the original firmware. Then you just use the pclink tool and put any program that you want on there by naming a file boot.fxe and putting it in gpmm or butting a firmware called boot.bin on. Windups can be found on the gpbios site. www.gpbios.tk

Nah, I did not mean it was useless with Windups, in fact I really want Windups, and I know it comes with firmware, I just have heard that it's quite frustrating. I thought about flashing it too, but I'm worried about doing that because I just got it, and if something goes wrong I could be screwed. Like I said, I'll flash it later if I feel like it, I just want a new shell for doing neat things.

Also, Pac-Roms happens to be one of the sites that did not respond to me.

And I tried YAFL on the GeePee32 emulator, and it does not seem that great, it's just a loader. I liked the idea of treating my GP32 like a do-all PDA with a custom desktop ect. I heard there was going to be something called WinGp but that got cancelled or put on hold, I could not get a straight answer.

WinGp was created by Guyfawkes, but it got canceled. I'm telling you, gpbios is the best thing to flash to for beginers, because it starts exactly the same as the original bios, and you can change your launcher programs all on the gp32 by just renaming files. No need for new tools.

Holy crap, thanks so much. Yeah, I'll think about GPBios, but still it's flashing, and as many people call it safe, I still have insecurities, like I said, I'm so a virgin to this thing it's not funny. I mean it would be ok if it were like when I modded my playstation, and it was cheap and reversable if something went wrong.

I emailed Mr. Spiv awhile back about reflashing it if something happened and I don't remember what he said, but I'm sure it did not make a lot of sense to me and then I lost the email on accident.

So if I flash it and hell breaks out what do I do?

Well its really rare that a gp32 misflashes, in fact I think thats a bad word, because the only time it happens is if you turn off your gp32 or your gp32 runs out of batteries during the 30 second process. If it does "misflash" then I guess you'll have to build a jtag cable or send the gp32 to someone who has one so he can reflash it. Jtag info can be found at http://www.cobbleware.com/

Well see the thing that worried me the most is I heard to use Mr Spiv's Mulitfirmware2, which sounds all good, but when I went to his site the other day his latest post was

"Right.. my GP32 died due a bad flash. Anyone dare to reflash my veggie GP32? :) As a side note my JTAG is not able to reflash it.."

While the JTAG comment was added in the last five hours, it's still a bit nerving. I thought to myself, no offense to Mr. Spiv who was very nice to me when I emailed him awhile back on this subject, but if I guy involved with firmware misflashes his GP32 and needs someone else to do it, what are the chances a dork like me has on not breaking it? lol

But probably in his case he was testing out a new firmware and it did not work like he wanted it to.

So this JTAG cable, if no one finds me annoying yet, how does it work and how hard is it to cuncoct it?

The one thing I'd like to see is a good website where people can upload their own Windups icons, and maybe backgrounds. It'd be nice to see a website that allows you to do that automatically.

"Right.. my GP32 died due a bad flash. Anyone dare to reflash my veggie GP32? :) As a side note my JTAG is not able to reflash it.."
this guy probably switched off the gp32 or his batteries were dead. YOU CANT GO WRONG as long as you are using new batteries or an adaptor. It takes 20 seconds at the most and i highly recommend it since the default firmware is shit.

Last edited by a moderator:
well, since no one has done it, Welcome to gp32x!
enjoy your stay and feel free to ask many questions
but please try and remember the search button , but we will answer dumb questions
( just not that many in a row )
:D

~Octavious

o ya, use MFW2, I do, got Windups on there
then I installed Windups again with version 1.0 and I was set!

Mr. Spiv has reflashed many, many GP32s with his JTAG stuff. I suspect this guy's homemade JTAG was somehow improperly set up so his reflash failed. It's not a common problem, and I don't think I've heard of anyone on this forum suffering a misflash. I'd recommend it also :)

ive had my gp for just over a year now and I've reflashed twice.. First time for Mr.Spiv's old mfw, the 2nd time for GPBios which is perfect for my requirements (and I can't see me changing it).

reflashing is definately recommended !

malty

Back