Wip Gp32 Mame 2.1

slaanesh

Certified Guru
Website
www.slaanesh.net
WIP GP32 MAME 2.1

- Futher optimizations to game drivers.
* 1943, Gunsmoke and Ghost n Goblins (and clones) minor speed improvements.

- Improved drivers for Data East 16-bit games.
* Modified some core handling in the way MAME allocates and frees RAM.
* Optimizations to Data East drivers; split the graphic memory regions.

- Data East 16 bit game status
* Baddudes vs Dragonninja (US) / Dragonninja (Japan) - Fully playable with sound.
* Slyspy (revision 2 and 3) - Fully playable with sound.
* Robocop (bootleg) - Fully playable with sound. (Woohoo!)
* Heavy Barrel (US / Japan) - Fully playable with sound.
* Midnight Resistance - Fully playable with sound.
* Hippodrome - Fully playable with sound (apart from driver instability). BTW, does anyone know anything about this game? I've never seen it before MAME came along.
* Hu6280 core is all good and ready to go! The GP2X version of MAME should be able to benefit from this too. ie. full sound for the above games and Dark Seal.
(All these run really well with no sound and FS=1, ie 100% speed and 30FPS).

- Still to do for Data East 16-bit games:
* Analog rotation (ie. in Heavy Barrel and Midnight Resistance) control is mapped to main joystick. This means that when you move left or right you also rotate around left and right. :)
These really need to be mapped to buttons other than the joystick to be really playable.

- Other future improvements:
* Including samples. Maybe for GP32 MAME 2.2
* Further optimizations to other game drivers.

- Dreaming:
I'm sure a 6502 ASM core would improve these greatly (and useful for a number of other games).
Even better, a 6809 ASM core would also be rock 'n roll and would cover pretty much all the other non-Z80 games. Any one? :D

- Suggestions?
Feel free to suggest improvements to current games. I know about the lack off 1942 playability after the first level. Looking into this. Any other problems with other games? Missing sounds, etc? (excluding lack of sounds due to samples, of course).

Just add a reply to this topic.

fantasic news :)))

thx a lot

now if you can make wrestlefest work i dont need to buy a 2x :)))
(i know its not in mame gp2x either)

pongplaya posted on Apr 10 2006 at 02:33 AM said:

thx a lot

I'd say you'd have to get a gp2x for wrestlefest as the ROM size is larger than the gp32's memory! :)

WarmFluffyUK posted on Apr 10 2006 at 05:33 AM said:
I would love Paperboy on the GP32....
And unfortunately Paperboy requires CPUs that are not available on MAME 0.34/0.35. The screen resolution of Paperboy is also 512x384! The screen fit function would only scale one direction, not both. So, although it would be possible it would be very diffficult... :)

But thank your for your suggestions... all suggestions considered!

Last edited by a moderator:
slaanesh said:
pongplaya posted on Apr 10 2006 at 02:33 AM said:

thx a lot

I'd say you'd have to get a gp2x for wrestlefest as the ROM size is larger than the gp32's memory! :)

sooner or later i have to buy a gp2x.....

so on gp2x it might be possible ? :huh: :blink:

slaanesh posted on Apr 8 2006 at 07:35 AM said:
- Suggestions?
Feel free to suggest improvements to current games. Any other problems with other games? Missing sounds, etc? (excluding lack of sounds due to samples, of course).

Just add a reply to this topic.

Many games are missing sound (Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Venture, PepperII, Berzerk, Phoenix, Space invaders, Asteroids, more) I know some of those are because of samples. Couldn't a newer driver that emulated sound instead of using samples (if that is too slow) be used for example Donkey Kong which has some sound?

Also the controls for Millipede are borked. It moves up and down fine, but left/right aren't working right. Centipede works fine and they are similar so it is weird.

Thanks for everything. It is good to see that your additions (like Gaplus) are incorporated into the GP2X version too (that is the one I use now).

pongplaya posted on Apr 11 2006 at 07:44 AM said:

sooner or later i have to buy a gp2x.....

so on gp2x it might be possible ? :huh: :blink:
Yes very possible. If it wasn't for the size of the ROMs it could be done on the GP32.
The GP2X has easily sufficient RAM to do this.

DaveC posted on Apr 11 2006 at 02:17 PM said:
Many games are missing sound (Donkey Kong, Zaxxon, Venture, PepperII, Berzerk, Phoenix, Space invaders, Asteroids, more) I know some of those are because of samples. Couldn't a newer driver that emulated sound instead of using samples (if that is too slow) be used for example Donkey Kong which has some sound?

Also the controls for Millipede are borked. It moves up and down fine, but left/right aren't working right. Centipede works fine and they are similar so it is weird.

Thanks for everything. It is good to see that your additions (like Gaplus) are incorporated into the GP2X version too (that is the one I use now).
Yep, I'm looking at supporting samples. Managed to get some playing in Zaxxon but it still needs some work.

Ahh.. I found the problem with Millipede. I'm pretty sure that's it. Not reading the port correctly. I'll fix the code and it should be all good in GP32 MAME 2.1.

I did a simple fix for Defender. Using five buttons to control the ship was driving me nuts. So now joystick can be used to reverse and thrust... :)

slaanesh posted on Apr 11 2006 at 03:44 AM said:
Yep, I'm looking at supporting samples. Managed to get some playing in Zaxxon but it still needs some work.

Ahh.. I found the problem with Millipede. I'm pretty sure that's it. Not reading the port correctly. I'll fix the code and it should be all good in GP32 MAME 2.1.

I did a simple fix for Defender. Using five buttons to control the ship was driving me nuts. So now joystick can be used to reverse and thrust... :)

Cool thanks for the great work.

Millipede is great, the only bug was the control. If that is fixed it will rock.

I too had trouble with Defender. I know the arcade was set up that way (buttons) but it just seems so unintuitive that way, joystick is better, thanks.

I hope it won't be too difficult to implement in the Gp2x version. I have a Gp32 BLU so I can play it on that too. I like the screen color saturation, contrast and brightness on my GP2X though.

Thanks

chaos engineer posted on Apr 13 2006 at 08:05 PM said:
Hey Slaanesch, when can we expect the release of GP32 Mame 2.1 - I cannot bear waiting any longer. Since your last release I am experiencing a gp32 revival.
I've added a few more games: Salamander, Lifeforce. Added a new sound chip for Salamander.
Added the rest of the Data East 8-bit games (like Shackled, Gondomania, Captain Silver, Last Mission, etc). I've actually never seen these in Australia - anyone know anything of them? They were easy to add so I did so.
Probably release v2.1 on either Sunday or Monday (Australian time). Sorry it won't be sooner than that.

Vigilante seems to run out of RAM now - actually this has been happening since before v1.9. I'll see if I can nudge it back in.

Hopefully full sample support will be in v2.2.

"sorry it won't be sooner"

yeah you had better be sorry, we're all ready to smash your face in!!!!

of course not, please take your time and do the best you can.. i am as anxious as anyone for this next release, but you know we users are just hankering a the thought of better GP32 Mame and still appreciative of yoru efforts at this point, when much GP32 dev has slowed to a crawl - and in this case, you're working on such a high-profile application.

i remember seeing rlyeh's early Mame32 screenshots like...3 yrs ago (i think it was?) and now we've only had a released "proper" emulator in this past year.. like i said, i am as eager as anyone to get my hands on it, but just know that your work and time is appreciated, so don't feel rushed. You get my gist!

thanks again!

Back