Wireless Network?

OmarNawaz

I have a prism 802.11g network card on my laptop and i bought a 802.11b for my pc

Both have xp installed how do i go about networking them and sharing my cabel connection between the two computers.

When i setup it up i could "see" the laptop from the pc but when i try to connect it asks for wpe key even though i disabled it on both computers.

I need to tell you that the laptop hasn't got drivers for everything installed is that the cause of the problem?

well it depends on what you are trying to do with the network... are you trying to make it so you can use programs that another computer has?... or are you just trying to be able to access drives for file transfer?...

right:

install all the drivers, thats like expecting knex set to be built without pushing the things together.

create a new connection on the computer with the net connection, make sure firewalls are off and the net sharing on (found within the net details within network connections)

call the connection what ever you like, assign the IP address of 192.168.0.1 to the host pc, subnet should automatically become 255.255.255.0

make sure that you have made it an adhoc network as well, will disable security further.

now go the laptop, create a connection with the same name (exactly the same) and give the laptop the IP 192.168.0.2, subnet again 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 192.168.0.1, make the first DNS box the same as the host IP 192.168.0.1

now turn on both and try and connect, you should be able to access the net on the laptop, if not, try google!

right:

install all the drivers, thats like expecting knex set to be built without pushing the things together.

create a new connection on the computer with the net connection, make sure firewalls are off and the net sharing on (found within the net details within network connections)

call the connection what ever you like, assign the IP address of 192.168.0.1 to the host pc, subnet should automatically become 255.255.255.0

make sure that you have made it an adhoc network as well, will disable security further.

now go the laptop, create a connection with the same name (exactly the same) and give the laptop the IP 192.168.0.2, subnet again 255.255.255.0 and gateway as 192.168.0.1, make the first DNS box the same as the host IP 192.168.0.1

now turn on both and try and connect, you should be able to access the net on the laptop, if not, try google!

oh yeah that ip range thing i forgot about that

Last edited by a moderator:
do you have the internet connection going into 1 pc and you want to acces the internet on the other pc?, then you'll allways have the have the other pc on if you want to acces the net.
I have the dsl connection going to my wireless router, that way you dont have to have both pc on(I acces the net directly trough the router).

do you have the internet connection going into 1 pc and you want to acces the internet on the other pc?, then you'll allways have the have the other pc on if you want to acces the net.
I have the dsl connection going to my wireless router, that way you dont have to have both pc on(I acces the net directly trough the router).

yeah but my main rig is always on practically i've got some parts laying around, is there a linux distro that would allow you to use a pc as a dsl router and firewall?

yeah but my main rig is always on practically i've got some parts laying around, is there a linux distro that would allow you to use a pc as a dsl router and firewall?
As a firewall probably, but as a dsl router?? do you have the right hardware for it?

Back