Wiz Emulators

aesir911

aesir triumphs
What emulators have all of you gotten to work (well that is...). Which one is your favorite? How hard was it to get them to work?

aesir911 said:
What emulators have all of you gotten to work (well that is...). Which one is your favorite? How hard was it to get them to work?
I made work all the emulators i´ve tried. The problem is with certain roms, for example in the Amiga emulator the working status is very variable. In others emulators, like Mame and neogeo(GnGeo 0.7), you must find the correct version of the roms. Lemonboy worked very bad in the past, but recently has improved greatly and now almost every game is playable, and the sound is perfect. Even you can play the Pc-engine cd games (Temper), requires some work to put the roms in shape but once you get it worth the pain, i´m playing now Castlevania Rondo of Blood and Dinastic Warriors flawless.

In the other hand emulators like pocketsnes 6.5.0 and the GBA one (gpSP) one are easy to use, any roms works, and runs smooth and fast.

Try every emulator you find and you´ll be amazed.

(sorry about my lousy english)

Last edited by a moderator:
The only emulators I haven't gotten to work are the Neo Geo and Neo Geo Pocket ones, but that's because I don't know what to rename the BIOS file to get it to work. But than again, I haven't really spent much time researching it as I've been mainly playing SNES and Genesis games.

blueshift said:
The only emulators I haven't gotten to work are the Neo Geo and Neo Geo Pocket ones, but that's because I don't know what to rename the BIOS file to get it to work. But than again, I haven't really spent much time researching it as I've been mainly playing SNES and Genesis games.
NeoGeo Bios has to be named "neogeo.zip", without the ".

I have tried Lemonboy2x (GB & GBC), Gpsp (GBA), DrPocketSnes (SNES), Finalburn2x (Neogeo/Arcade), Picodrive (Genesis) & gfceu (NES) and they all worked flawlessly. Really - every ROM I tried worked perfect.

Mame 4 All, SNES and Scumm VM 1.0 (ahh...monkey Island...) all working fine.

Passy said:
blueshift said:
I tried renaming it that in both the roms and the emulator's root directory. The loading screen comes up and that's all that ever happens. The BIOS was originally called "usa_2slt.bin".

blueshift said:
Passy said:
blueshift said:
I tried renaming it that in both the roms and the emulator's root directory. The loading screen comes up and that's all that ever happens. The BIOS was originally called "usa_2slt.bin".

Well you're using the wrong one to begin with! The file you need to acquire is neogeo.zip, and this must be unzipped and its contents placed in the ROMs folder of GnGeo.

I've had my Wiz for a day now and so far I've got MegaDrive (PicoDrive), SNES (PocketSNES), Spectrum (GP2Xpectrum) and NeoPocket (RACE) working. The Picodrive has run perfectly with everything so far. Others have had some issues. The NeoPocket can't scale yet cos it osn't finished but apart from that it seems pretty solid.

I can't get the Atari ST working yet but I think it's cos I can't get hold of usTOS 1.02. I've got TOS 1.0 in the right place (I think) but it doesn't seem to like that. Apart from that it's been plain sailing.

*deit* got it now from here:
http://www.doperoms.com/files/roms/atari_st/TOS+v1.02+%281987%29%28Atari+Corp%29%28Mega+ST%29%28US%29.zip/33391/TOS+v1.02+.zip

Sorry if that breaks any rules. I don't think it does but let me know and I'll take it down.

The only rules I can see that you are clearly breaking are those of grammer and spelling. As far as I know the TOS rom is now freely available and comes included with some emulators. I suspect that actually guiding people to a site that contains illegal roms though might be controversial, even though you are not giving a link to any illegal roms...

That seems a legitimate link to me, and I urge everyone not to look further on that site or you might find lots of fantastic game roms you do not legally own, for all kinds of great systems emulated on the Wiz - and that would be really very naughty.

TitanUranus said:
As far as I know the TOS rom is now freely available and comes included with some emulators. I suspect that actually guiding people to a site that contains illegal roms though might be controversial, even though you are not giving a link to any illegal roms...

Although I couldn't find anything that states that the TOS ROM is now publicly available, I did find an alternate site that has several edition of TOS for download, in case the other one is taken down because of the other hosted ROMs on that site.

http://vintagecomputercafe.com/atarisystemdisks.htm

I'm still feeling a little iffy about it, though, because I remember that people still get all worked up over posting links to the original PSX BIOS, and in effect this is sort of doing the same thing (not entirely the same, but it still has that 'feel' to it).

TitanUranus said:
The only rules I can see that you are clearly breaking are those of grammer and spelling. As far as I know the TOS rom is now freely available and comes included with some emulators. I suspect that actually guiding people to a site that contains illegal roms though might be controversial, even though you are not giving a link to any illegal roms...

That seems a legitimate link to me, and I urge everyone not to look further on that site or you might find lots of fantastic game roms you do not legally own, for all kinds of great systems emulated on the Wiz - and that would be really very naughty.
I see you're using the less orthodox spelling of the word grammar.

I wasn't sure because I remember a friend of mine being shocked to find the Amiga Kickstart 1.3 was still for sale when he wanted to play a few old games.

It's all good.

Pocket SNES is very good but nothing else I've tried runs as smooth as the PicoDrive. Still can't get outcaST working and I've been fiddling with DOSbox all day to no avail.

There's an option in the emulator that says "controls" I believe and you can change it from swapped or normal. I think normal maps the buttons to match their names so "A" on the SNES equals "A" on the Wiz. If you set it to swapped it changes the mapping to correlate to the original SNES layout but the button names will no longer match.

I think its set to normal by default which is silly because I'm sure anyone thats played a SNES before wants the buttons in their right place regardless of what the Wiz labels them as.

Back