Caanoo / WIZ Wiz Free Memory Problems

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
Im running into a problem with the amount of memory that available on the wiz:
Error: unable to virtual allocate 16777216 bytes

Ive been trying to get quake2 to run I had been getting this error with the nanoGL version. Well I just compiled ioquake2 using SDL and the same has occurred. This used to work but I think after upgrading to a new firmware this started happening.
I think the reason for the problem is the fact that GPH in the recent firmware is allocating 16 mb for the 3d frame buffer or a least I think thats way I understood it when GPH mentioned it.

Seems 64 mb isnt enough.

Update: Okay reducing the sound sample rate or turning sound off is enough to get it running. But I think there is still a problem and potential risk

'Pickle' said:

Ive been trying to get quake2 to run I had been getting this error with the nanoGL version. Well I just compiled ioquake2 using SDL and the same has occurred. This used to work but I think after upgrading to a new firmware this started happening.
I think the reason for the problem is the fact that GPH in the recent firmware is allocating 16 mb for the 3d frame buffer or a least I think thats way I understood it when GPH mentioned it.

Seems 64 mb isnt enough.

Update: Okay reducing the sound sample rate or turning sound off is enough to get it running. But I think there is still a problem and potential risk
You can also use the upper memory, with the mmu hack there would not be performance hit...

Last edited by a moderator:
Franxis said:
'Pickle' said:

Seems 64 mb isnt enough.

You can also use the upper memory, with the mmu hack there would not be performance hit...

ok in the wiz's case that about 15 mb right? and isnt some of that reserved for other things?
Im not sure exactly how to use it.

quake2 currently uses CODE

membase = mmap(0, maxhunksize, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0);
I think to use the upper memory its the same method using mmap, but the memory offset address is different?

It was about 24MB, but they might have changed it on this firmware. Speaking of which, since you're posting now, could you PM me with info on how to get said firmware? Thanks :(

Im looking at how this was done on the gp2x and I dont see exactly how I can make it work with the current method used. Plus I dont have any idea where things are like the framebuffer.
I would like to use this if i can though.

Back