Caanoo / WIZ Wiz Game Engine

@traylorpark: I'm developing 2 games at the moment: a mini-golf game and a shooter (both 3D). I'm hoping to have something concrete by the time GPH opens their app store later this month. I've just about finished the engine, so I'll be starting on the actual games in the next week. If you can produce assets for either one that'd be great!

Hmmm ... well, by the end of the month, I don't think I have enough time to fill out an entire game with assets, got my own work and all. Maybe a few? Is that cool? :p
I do have some premade stuff, such as ...
lamp-rotate.gif
mill-base-rotate.gif
raised-house-rotate.gif
trees-turn.gif
windmill-rotate.gif
itabashifudouson_present.jpg
josoline_present.jpg
treesmansion.jpg
tiles_final.jpg

Those are pretty much all set to go ... but I don't know how much they will help you. A little? I can send you whatever you want :lol:

Those are SERIOUSLY good, but they don't quite fit the games I'm making at the moment :) Do you do contract work? What are your rates like? PM me details if you don't mind.

i really like your style! i've already seen them on your page.

[sub]sorry kurtkz to hijack your thread ;) [/sub]
the japanese style house makes me think about a tiny game i had in mind for months now, which should be a mixture of minigore's "gameplay" and mini ninjas stylewise. i'm on always-no-time-for-freetime-projects, too, thats the reason why i dont bother very much about big games ;)

No problem, crow_riot. I'm in the same boat as you guys - I'm holding down a 9-5 dev job and doing several other projects on the side. Game dev is a hobby that I get waaay too little time for :p

crow_riot said:
i really like your style! i've already seen them on your page.

[sub]sorry kurtkz to hijack your thread ;) [/sub]
the japanese style house makes me think about a tiny game i had in mind for months now, which should be a mixture of minigore's "gameplay" and mini ninjas stylewise. i'm on always-no-time-for-freetime-projects, too, thats the reason why i dont bother very much about big games ;)

Thanks sir crow_riot!

and to kurtkz, PM'd

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi all,

another small update - mesh-mesh tests were waaay too expensive on the Wiz, so I've rewritten the collision system to use OBB intersection tests. It runs much quicker and should work just fine.

Cheers
Kurt

kurtkz said:
another small update - mesh-mesh tests were waaay too expensive on the Wiz, so I've rewritten the collision system to use OBB intersection tests. It runs much quicker and should work just fine.

how did you resolve this? is it sweep test or just static obb collision? that point really interests me, i never made collision detection by myself :)

Last edited by a moderator:
At the moment it's just static AABB-AABB, OBB-OBB and OBB-triangle collisions. When I need sweep tests, I'll add them but for now the static tests seem sufficient :)

Aaaargh, turns out OBB-triangle collisions are too fiddly and slow to be used in semi-complex scenes. I'd prefer higher polygon counts to more accurate physics - so for the moment I've removed OBB-triangle collisions and am working on an automatic optimal OBB algorithm...once that works I'll upload a new demo...

Actually on second thought, I won't try to code an OBB fitting algorithm; instead I'll just do a simple tri-tri test and include physics meshes in the engine. I think I've been trying to overcomplicate things - at the moment I have a working demo of simple FPS/platformer style physics. I'll upload it once I have a decent level and have ironed out some of the kinks.

@rtb7: I'm not sure yet...I don't think I'll release the source code, but I'll probably release a library. All this is quite a way off though. I haven't optimized the engine at all (although it runs decently as-is) and I still need to add lots of features to round it off. If you guys/girls have any feature requests, you're more than welcome to post them here :)

@Peter R: I doubt the engine will be worth licensing :p buuut if it ever does reach that level of completion I'll probably licence it for free for hobby purposes. The engine is probably a month away from a beta test I guess.

Another small update:

- added WaveFront OBJ and MTL support (multiple objects and materials)

I updated the first post to reflect the change.

Cheers
Kurt

I'd love to use your engine, and assist in any way possible .. any chance you're going to open it up a little? Your "done" list is sorta like my "todo" list, heh heh ..

@torpor: It's definitely not in any kind of state to be open sourced (it's been ported fairly quickly from my C# engine) - but I'll probably license the library for free for personal use at some point. If you need any assistance with your own engine in the meantime, I'd be glad to help out where I can :)

I'm only 'building an engine' on the basis of the Wakebreaker sources, which I find provides more than enough for my needs right now, but things like model file loaders and so on are quite interesting .. to be honest, the whole GL ES technology is a massive sea of confusion at times, but it sure is nice to learn from threads like this ..

Back