Wma & Mp3 Player Ver 0.37

Just wondering if/how you can encode artist/songtitle info in the mp3 files. I've been making mp3's lately with Soundforge and Wavelab, but only get a '?' in the artist/songtitle slots.

winamp can do it. just put the file into the playlist and right click it and select "view file info"

Thanks, that did the trick!

Hi all,

I'm adding the these features now for ver 0.40.

- Shuffle(random) mode
- Reset key change from "START" to "START+SELECT" combination.
- ID3 tag can display Korean as well as English. (yes, I'm Korean^^)
- Full screen will be used.

Any feed back okay..

Thanks,
- omega5 -

P/S.

Also, you can totally remove the volume control with up and down !
Changing the volume is absolutely not needed as we already have a external volume modifier on the GP32....
Somebody still needs software volume control.

And for the "hold" combination, i'd also prefer "select+right" than the actual "select+Left"...
When I put the GP32 into my backpack and hear the music,
I felt "select+Left" combination is more safe than "select+Right".

I was longing for good MP3 players for some time and suddenly we have two almost simultaneously :) - It's impossible not to compare both of them.

I really like the sound quality of this player - nice bass!
The long filename support is excellent - I didn't think I would see this so soon on the GP.
Track seek is great! Excellent implementation.

However, look into madMP3 for what I consider some better examples of implementation. I would mention:
- Interface. mad's looks more polished and less cluttered overall, with great fonts and readability. You don't necessarily need the "Fast Forward, Play, Stop" etc buttons, since most of those functions should be accessed directly with the buttons. I suggest an option where you could switch between a "complete" interface and a more simple interface (no file list) using "Select+R".
I also don't think there is a need for the file name to scroll around. Make the ID3 tag names for group and music larger and make the file name font smaller.
- Button assignment - "L" and "R" buttons should be for track skipping - sometimes you want to skip tracks reaching the GP in your pocket and using the stick for this does not work. Using the joystick for volume (up and down) and track seek (left / right) is a nice option, but only allow this in combination with another button (Select, for instance) - the joystick is too sensitive and will certainly move inside a pocket. Of course the key lock solves the problem, but does not allow for track skipping.
- Don't use "Start" as a reset button. Resert should be done only with the combination of several buttons (Such as Start+Select+L+R)
- "A" for pause / play
- "B" for stop

Other details
- The first track on my tracklist was supposed to be the last one (started with the letter q). Looks like the file order is not obeying the alphabetical order.
- Transition between tracks should happen faster
- Equalizer presets are welcome :)
- And also an option for blank screen - if it saves batteries.
- The fonts could be better. I just don't like those "GP32-looking" fonts.

This is a great development overall! I'll use it from now on because the sound quality is really good!

Hi phoda,

Thank you for your feedback, :p

- Interface. mad's looks more polished and less cluttered overall, with great fonts and readability. You don't necessarily need the "Fast Forward, Play, Stop" etc buttons, since most of those functions should be accessed directly with the buttons. I suggest an option where you could switch between a "complete" interface and a more simple interface (no file list) using "Select+R".
I also don't think there is a need for the file name to scroll around. Make the ID3 tag names for group and music larger and make the file name font smaller.

I absolutely agree it.
But, you also need to know the Asian character set.
KCJ(Korean/Chinses/Japanese) has over 30,000 characters. :(
I can't make great fonts and readability. :(
Additionally, we have not good CDDB. So, Korean popular music has not enough
ID3 information. As a result, we are using the long filename to describe song info.
So, I'm considering swtichable feature between long-filename and ID3 tag.
But, ID3v2 is very different from ID3v1. They have different code(UNICODE).
So, it is not easy to support the internationallization. :(
BTW, the changeable UI is considerable & interesting. :blink:

- Button assignment - "L" and "R" buttons should be for track skipping - sometimes you want to skip tracks reaching the GP in your pocket and using the stick for this does not work. Using the joystick for volume (up and down) and track seek (left / right) is a nice option, but only allow this in combination with another button (Select, for instance) - the joystick is too sensitive and will certainly move inside a pocket. Of course the key lock solves the problem, but does not allow for track skipping.
- Don't use "Start" as a reset button. Resert should be done only with the combination of several buttons (Such as Start+Select+L+R)
- "A" for pause / play
- "B" for stop

- I think we need wider pocket for track skipping :lol:
I'll do bench marking with my friend. B)
- Okay, I'll change it as your recommendation for reset funtion.
- I tried to implement the PAUSE funtion. But, it was not easy due to
the IIS-DMA buffer issue. :(
- STOP function needs more squence i.e., stop->browse files -> select a file -> play.
I'll try to implement it.

- The first track on my tracklist was supposed to be the last one (started with the letter q). Looks like the file order is not obeying the alphabetical order.
- Transition between tracks should happen faster
- Equalizer presets are welcome
- And also an option for blank screen - if it saves batteries.
- The fonts could be better. I just don't like those "GP32-looking" fonts.

- I think you need the file-name based sorting funtion.
At this moment, it support only entry-order.
I also need this funtion. :D
But, I need to consider the character set of Asian friends. :rolleyes:
The sorting algorithm will be very complex. :(
- I'll reduce it.
- I can't make EQ now. I need to study and find the source code over internet. :(
- It can't save battery at all.
- I can't forget my Asian friends. I'm so sorry.

Once again, thank you for your recommendations.

- omega5 -

While we are on the subject:

gpamp pre-release

Here's a pre-release of my winamp skin renderer. Hey omega5, maybe you want to use this for your player? It's ansi-C, has a very low CPU impact, and it looks cool :)

Also, the mp3/wma player looks cool, I'm going to test it in the train on my way to my girlfriend :)

/Inopia

Sounds cool keep up the good work.
Perhaps try and add support for ogg files and then it will be near perfect

Hi all,

I hope this is the final version. :D

wma_mp3-v043.zip

What's changed & new from V0.39....

- Shuffle(random) mode. Use 'B' button. [new]
- ID3 display for English as well as Korean. [improve]
- Play/Pause feature added. Use 'A' button. [new]
- More song information on larger skin [improve]
- Faster(about 30%) track transient. [improve]
- L & R is used for track skipping instead of <- & -> [change]
- <- & -> is used for seeking instead of L&R [change]
- Reset key is changed from START to "L+R+START+SELECT" [change]

I started this project for my personal hobby because I love music & GP32.
I've felt so good with your response and freedom of free-software.

I'll be back....
- omega5 -

EDIT : I've changed it to Ver 0.43.
There was a serious bug in 0.42 !!!.

Please use Ver 0.43 instead of Ver 0.42. :) :rolleyes:

I know this is gonna sound like I'm whining, but can we attack Ogg Vorbis playback? I've been converting my CD collection to Ogg to replace old MP3s, as Ogg sounds better, and it'd be great to be able to play them on the move without paying £280 for a hard disk MP3 player

Pretty much as perfect as you could hope form an equaliser or bass boost setting would be pretty magical though... But not too bothered if you dont make it its a tall order to do one of those i think :/ Anyway amazing work already

w00t great :)

Very good player, it's my new player :)

Add the Ogg Vorbis support, and you'll become a legend :p

awesome player. CONGRATULATIONS!!!!. An OGG suport could be possible in a future. One question: it runs to 133 mhz ?

great player!
excellent job, really, though it would kick ass if you could make it slower than 133mhz... drains my batteries VERY fast :unsure:
except of this (and of course ogg vorbis but take your time) this is a wonderful program :p

Version 0.43 rocks! Here are my comments:

- On the interface, get rid of the "play, pause, stop, REW, FF" buttons. They are not needed.
- Entering / getting out of LOCK function seems somewhat unresponsive, for whatever reason.
- When the volume is reduced, it does so too fast. For instance, on the first 1/10 of the volume scale it's like the volume is reduced by 90%. The other 9/10 of the scale correspond to 1/10 of reduction in volume.
- Track transition is better now. However, it seems to me that the last second (or half second or so) is being skipped.
- The button assignment is way, way better! I would only insist on having volume up/down and track seeking done in combination with the SELECT button. This way you can keep the GP32 inside a jacket pocket and, without locking it, you can skip tracks using the L or R buttons. It's just that the joystick is pretty sensitive. Of course, if the user wants to lock everything it's fine.

Once again, great job. I doubt anyone is using Gamepark's original MP3 player by now. ;)

And by the way - there is never a final version. B)

Back