Wma?

dooglex

Still Fresh
hi,

does anyone know whats happenening about wma support? as it was promised as upcoming, then some sites listed it as working bit i know with 2.1 it still doesnt work.

Does it work with 3.0?

will it ever work?

Many thanks

dooglex posted on Feb 4 2007 at 08:57 AM said:
hi,does anyone know whats happenening about wma support? as it was promised as upcoming, then some sites listed it as working bit i know with 2.1 it still doesnt work.

Do you already know about the proprietary nature of WMA? It's Microsoft's DRM-locked format. You ight want to consider getting away from it. Almost all portable media players have MP3 support, but fewer have WMA support. Just free advice, take it or leave it. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
i know i try to avoid it but media player doesnt seem to like syncing things and converting them to mp3 on the fly. silly thing.

So Basically your saying WMA costs money to use and so it wont ever happen? thats fair enough i suppose.

Not only does it cost money to use, but Microsoft demand a royalty payment for every sold device. If GPH implemented it in a future firmware, they would have to pay MS for every GP2X that was capable of using that particular firmware (isn't that like 50,000 devices or so in the UK alone?), or the alternative method - get sued.

Now, of course, when your using Microsoft stuff like Media Player, it's going to want to convert the files to MS's own file formats, so what you need to do is find something not written by MS, and it'll convert to MP3 much happier :)

dooglex posted on Feb 4 2007 at 05:31 PM said:
i know i try to avoid it but media player doesnt seem to like syncing things and converting them to mp3 on the fly. silly thing.

So Basically your saying WMA costs money to use and so it wont ever happen? thats fair enough i suppose.

Try CDeX for converting your CDs to MP3. Much better than WMP.

Redeeman posted on Feb 5 2007 at 12:04 AM said:
or use cdparanoia and oggenc

Yeah, OGG is great. But how much support does it have with portable media players? Not much that I'm aware of. I'm not about to re-encode MP3s to OGGs. Sure, OGG works with the GP2X. But that's my gaming console, not my primary music player. :)

I really hate WMA.

I write my own music and I stupidly converted some files to WMA. After reformatting my PC I was told that I didn't own the licence for the files and the MS site it took me to refused to give me the licence for my own material. In the end I just gave in and found the original WAVs on a backup and converted them to OGG.

Now I stick to MP3 or OGG, depending on the device I am using.

Back