Wolf3d For Gp2x

At least 1942 isn't illegal anymore... that was this brutal game where you had your plane fly arround and shoot other planes... it had tons of gore and violence... umm actually it was just an ordinary shooter, I guess it was indexed because of the name "1942" :lol: :ph34r:

19420013.jpg

...how violent!

Why not leave it the way it is and just have the data files be in the same directory as the binary? If you want to make "links" to the programs so you can have the programs runnable from the root of the SD (or some other centralized location), just make a script like:

#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/path_to_game/
./gamefilename.gpe

and name it game.gpe, and put it where ever you want. Hardcoding the locations just makes it more of a pain to get things into the expected spot the program wants, and who knows... maybe once the rest of the NAND space is accessible for user storage, someone might not want to even put a given program in /mnt/sd.

Thanks BradN, I tried making a script earlier to do that but failed miserably, I'll give it a go using your directions above and see if I have some success!

BradN posted on Dec 11 2005 at 10:35 PM said:
Why not leave it the way it is and just have the data files be in the same directory as the binary?  If you want to make "links" to the programs so you can have the programs runnable from the root of the SD (or some other centralized location), just make a script like:

#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/path_to_game/
./gamefilename.gpe

and name it game.gpe, and put it where ever you want.  Hardcoding the locations just makes it more of a pain to get things into the expected spot the program wants, and who knows... maybe once the rest of the NAND space is accessible for user storage, someone might not want to even put a given program in /mnt/sd.

Why? because I have NO knowledge of linux and besides doing all of that is a pain in the ass.

All of the other apps have the gpe in the root with the data files in a subdirectory (like DrMD for example). This is also how it was set up on the GP32 as well. Having everything in one directory is a mess. It makes adding or removing different versions of a game a pain. How do you know what data file goes with what version etc? Not impossible, just messy and for no benefit that I can see. Can you imagine if every emu and port did this? All gpe and data files in root? It would get unmanageable FAST.

Last edited by a moderator:
DaveC: I've already told you nothing NEEDS to be in the root folder and the script idea is great because then anybody can setup the directories they want very simply!

Personally, I don't find anything wrong with placing all the files in a folder, navigating to that folder, and sorting through the misc files to find the .gpe. It's like some people have never heard of DOS before. Wolf3D for the PC is like that. SoD is like that. Descent is like that. Keen is like that, etc, etc. Just because you have to navigate a little bit doesn't alter anything as far as the game goes.

DaveC, a suggestion: Instead of everything being in the root,
Set up a dirtectory tree:
root\games\Wolf3d\launch.gpe (along with other misc files)
root\games\Quake\launch.gpe
root\emulators\frodo\frodo.gpe

That's how I've set up my PC, that's how I will set up my gp2x.
It's not hard, and it's definitely more organized that having a bunch of launchers in the root dir.

Rayek posted on Dec 12 2005 at 11:40 PM said:
Personally, I don't find anything wrong with placing all the files in a folder, navigating to that folder, and sorting through the misc files to find the .gpe. It's like some people have never heard of DOS before. Wolf3D for the PC is like that. SoD is like that. Descent is like that. Keen is like that, etc, etc. Just because you have to navigate a little bit doesn't alter anything as far as the game goes.

DaveC, a suggestion: Instead of everything being in the root,
Set up a dirtectory tree:
root\games\Wolf3d\launch.gpe (along with other misc files)
root\games\Quake\launch.gpe
root\emulators\frodo\frodo.gpe

That's how I've set up my PC, that's how I will set up my gp2x.
It's not hard, and it's definitely more organized that having a bunch of launchers in the root dir.

That still is a mess because everything is all dumped into one place, demo, shareware, SOD, GPEs, everything. If I wanted to move/delete anything it would involve sorting through everything to cherry pick out just the right files. Then I would have to do all kinds of navigating through folders to get to it and it wouldn't show up with the rest of the games when I go to load it. Again I don't see the advantage to it.

I don't understand why everyone is so against the method that I suggested which is gpe in root, data in subdirectory. It is simple, clean and easy. All other GP2X apps are that way and so was the GP32 so why are you so against it here? It would be consistant with the rest of the stuff. Not everyone is a linux guru that knows how to mess around with scripts and stuff as well. Plus when HH is released and used those methods will all be thrown out anyway.

DaveC posted on Dec 12 2005 at 05:20 PM said:
That still is a mess because everything is all dumped into one place, demo, shareware, SOD, GPEs, everything. If I wanted to move/delete anything it would involve sorting through everything to cherry pick out just the right files. Then I would have to do all kinds of navigating through folders to get to it and it wouldn't show up with the rest of the games when I go to load it. Again I don't see the advantage to it.

No different programs would be in the same directory, the way I had it laid out. I have no clue what you're referring to... If you're talking about updating files, and not knowing which programs they go to, the directory tree method that I mapped out would solve all those problems.. All the data for one game goes in its own folder, and the data for another game goes in another folder. For updating the specific programs, navigate to the file and simply overwrite the files that need updating. this seems much simpler than having ALL .gpe s in one place. That seems more confusing to me than navigating to the right one.

You must have a lot of shortcuts on your desktop right? Cause what you're talking about sounds like clutter to me.

Rayek posted on Dec 13 2005 at 12:27 AM said:
That still is a mess because everything is all dumped into one place, demo, shareware, SOD, GPEs, everything.  If I wanted to move/delete anything it would involve sorting through everything to cherry pick out just the right files.  Then I would have to do all kinds of navigating through folders to get to it and it wouldn't show up with the rest of the games when I go to load it.  Again I don't see the advantage to it. 

No different programs would be in the same directory, the way I had it laid out. I have no clue what you're referring to... If you're talking about updating files, and not knowing which programs they go to, the directory tree method that I mapped out would solve all those problems.. All the data for one game goes in its own folder, and the data for another game goes in another folder. For updating the specific programs, navigate to the file and simply overwrite the files that need updating. this seems much simpler than having ALL .gpe s in one place. That seems more confusing to me than navigating to the right one.

You must have a lot of shortcuts on your desktop right? Cause what you're talking about sounds like clutter to me.

That is probably because I am used to it because that is the way the GP32 is.

The way you describe is ok except for the fact that when you go into "games" you will need to work your way through all of the paths to load the file. It is not a big deal but it is just more steps.

The GP32 was the best and fastest because you would just turn it on and the icons just appeared and you loaded the game without all of the menu selecting.

Maybe the HH will be more like that. It seems like linux just overcomplicates things.

I agree, but I'm a fan of organization-over-function. Probably I could set up a "games' folder, move the .gpe s there, and the files into a seperate folder. Cut one step out.

I see what you mean.

DaveC posted on Dec 13 2005 at 02:51 AM said:
Rayek posted on Dec 13 2005 at 12:27 AM said:

That is probably because I am used to it because that is the way the GP32 is.

The way you describe is ok except for the fact that when you go into "games" you will need to work your way through all of the paths to load the file. It is not a big deal but it is just more steps.

The GP32 was the best and fastest because you would just turn it on and the icons just appeared and you loaded the game without all of the menu selecting.

Maybe the HH will be more like that. It seems like linux just overcomplicates things.
Well, it's still good to have the possibility to organize my programs how I want them because one list of a few hundred of them at startup isn't exactly comfortable to navigate either.

DaveC posted on Dec 13 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
I don't understand why everyone is so against the method that I suggested which is gpe in root, data in subdirectory. It is simple, clean and easy. All other GP2X apps are that way and so was the GP32 so why are you so against it here? It would be consistant with the rest of the stuff.

That is a mess... You have to scroll down through hundreds of subdirectories to get to your gpe file.

Having Roms, Games, Programs, Movies, Emulators, Music and Photos Folders in the root dir is much neater, with everything inside those. Then when you want to launch a file you go into Emulators and Launch DrMD or Games/Wolf3D and Launch Wolf3D or SOD.

Ok, DaveC, I didn't hardcode the paths BUT I did make a v0.3 release with it having scripts that you can put in the root and the EXACT directories you wanted SD://wolf3d/wolf3d ect. for each different game just copy the contents of the .rar over to the root of your SD card and you should be ready to go! If you don't like the paths I chose feel free to edit the scripts and change them (It's no harder than editing a .bat file if you look at it)

Saving/Loading is now working properly and you can quit and go back to the GP2XMenu also

couple other little small things might have happened but I'm too lazy to list them.

Cool, thanks for your continued work on this Hooka.

edit: So which data files do I need in each folder?... it was nice and easy before with all the files in one folder... now I have no idea what goes where.

Never mind I just copied all the gpe files over into the old install dir.

Iorgy77 posted on Dec 13 2005 at 02:03 AM said:
DaveC posted on Dec 13 2005 at 12:20 AM said:
I don't understand why everyone is so against the method that I suggested which is gpe in root, data in subdirectory.  It is simple, clean and easy.  All other GP2X apps are that way and so was the GP32 so why are you so against it here? It would be consistant with the rest of the stuff. 

That is a mess... You have to scroll down through hundreds of subdirectories to get to your gpe file.

Having Roms, Games, Programs, Movies, Emulators, Music and Photos Folders in the root dir is much neater, with everything inside those. Then when you want to launch a file you go into Emulators and Launch DrMD or Games/Wolf3D and Launch Wolf3D or SOD.

Speaking of mess I don't like the way the subdirectories show in the "games" section. Usually I need to scroll past a bunch of directories to get to the gpes. Come to think of it the launcher on the GP2X kind of sucks period. It would be nice to be able to add or remove catagories to the "desktop". It would also be nice to be able to hide directories in the game or other folder and just show executables or links. Like in windows, you don't see all the subdirectories in the start menu or desktop, just executables and links.

Then for example you could have everything in directories where you want like DrMD executable and ROM subdirectories in a "Megadrive" directory and just put the link in the root "games" dir.

DaveC posted on Dec 13 2005 at 08:02 PM said:
Speaking of mess I don't like the way the subdirectories show in the "games" section. Usually I need to scroll past a bunch of directories to get to the gpes. Come to think of it the launcher on the GP2X kind of sucks period. It would be nice to be able to add or remove catagories to the "desktop". It would also be nice to be able to hide directories in the game or other folder and just show executables or links. Like in windows, you don't see all the subdirectories in the start menu or desktop, just executables and links.

Then for example you could have everything in directories where you want like DrMD executable and ROM subdirectories in a "Megadrive" directory and just put the link in the root "games" dir.

LOL

Anything new on this, Hooka? I'm salivating. This is the FIRST thing I get on the GP2X, and I'm wondering what's going on with it?

BTW, you're still my favorite paerson ;)

Back