Wolfenstein 3d ''officially'' Ported To Iphone

Pickle

Mega GP Mania
Website
Visit site
CODE
http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Wolfenstein-3D-iPhone-doom-carmack,7367.html

Basically this is a port of a wolf redux for the iphone done by Carmack himself.
First off this should be portable to the pandora, we of course dont need the iphone controls and what not, but it might be interesting to do. Looks like a version of doom is to follow.
Also ive already have woflf4sdl running which is sw rendering based, but this might be just fun to try.

The bigger thing I see from this it the interest Carmark has in the iphone. Its kind of frustrating we couldnt get his atttention on the pandora. The pandora will blow away the iphone in all techinal aspects, but the iphone has the support base and volume. Maybe one day?

Excellent news! Wolf on the Pandora is definitely on my gaming list :)

Carmack has been extensively interested in mobile gaming. As far as he is concerned it's the future.

It wouldn't be hard for somebody higher up to shoot him an email, perhaps talk about Doom 3 too.

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
Id are well aware of the Pandora & ipad, if we could get some official action from them it would be superb.
Hand them a couple of production or dev units with stuff on them to prove they're for-real, and they might just do it. I'm pretty sure John would do it for you without thinking twice about it- bandwidth of the people doing the work, not withstanding. I'm also pretty sure that 3DRealms would also be interested as all get-out on Pandora stuff if they got handed one or two as well.

'Svartalf' said:
'craigix' said:
Id are well aware of the Pandora & ipad, if we could get some official action from them it would be superb.
Hand them a couple of production or dev units with stuff on them to prove they're for-real, and they might just do it. I'm pretty sure John would do it for you without thinking twice about it- bandwidth of the people doing the work, not withstanding. I'm also pretty sure that 3DRealms would also be interested as all get-out on Pandora stuff if they got handed one or two as well.

I'd buy that, considering his history and the apparent ease of porting it. I wouldn't necessarily mind buying a copy specific for the Pandora, although I do have a general policy against buying programs that I've already bought.

I'd personally rather see Commander Keen or Halloween Harry (Alien Carnage?) on the Pandora, but that's probably because violent video games outside seems like a bad idea. You know the old stuff before Epic and ID decided to be big in shooters.

Which makes me sort of wonder if we couldn't get some of the old Bullfrog games made available via Pandora in some fashion...

Tripmonkey_uk said:
That's one game that I haven't had the pleasure of playing yet, so I look forward to giving it a try A.S.A.P :)

Well if you have a GP2X/GP32 its already supported.

The source actually has some game files with it, Im certain that it has at least everything for the first episode and it appears to have more.

I'm just hoping Id is waiting for a release to show some serious interest.

@hedwards: Good heavens yes, I absolutely loved Commander Keen! How cool would a Pandora remake be?

'Pickle' said:
'Tripmonkey_uk' said:
That's one game that I haven't had the pleasure of playing yet, so I look forward to giving it a try A.S.A.P :)

Well if you have a GP2X/GP32 its already supported.

The source actually has some game files with it, Im certain that it has at least everything for the first episode and it appears to have more.

Yeah I noticed cheers Pickle, but I've been putting off playing all the main games like that for years until I can get a hand held with decent controls.

I have one hell of a back catalogue, just waiting for my Pandora to arrive B)

Wasting Nazi's never gets old. I still love Wolf 3D.

hedwards said:
Which makes me sort of wonder if we couldn't get some of the old Bullfrog games made available via Pandora in some fashion...
Two letters... E. and A.

Falcon Delta said:
@hedwards: Good heavens yes, I absolutely loved Commander Keen! How cool would a Pandora remake be?
Dead awesome. The only rub would be that they did a LOT of x86 assembly, from my understanding to make it go on the original targets- and I don't know if Scott and Co. kept the source code lying about in a way that it'd be usable. We can always ask 3DR if they would be interested in it or in allowing a select individual or individuals doing something with it for them.

Falcon Delta said:
Not very, I don't think, but a Commander Keen 7, done up in 3D the way Tom Hall had wanted, would be awesome!
There's several fan games, fan remakes, and straight fan clones flying around. I imagine the source for at least some of these could be acquired and easily modified to fit the Pandora.

Back