GP2X Worminator 3

zear_

Hi there. I managed to compile Worminator 3 for the GP2X.
It's an allegro based 2D platformer-shooter, similiar to Duke Nuken or Jazz Jackrabbit series.

ca9bc158ebb2752ddd078d7f077ca3.png
5687eaafd61157046315b8fdae5d17.png

The only problem is that I'm not a programmer, so I can't code a couple of things that are left for the port to be playable.
That is:
1) joystick input
2) mouse emulation in the menu

Besides that two things the game already runs on GP2X.
The demo-mode that launches after a moment of inactivity shows that the game runs quite fast and should be playable once the input is implemented.

Here's the binary of my non-playable port if you want to check it:
http://www.2shared.com/file/9848835/37438042/worminator-gp2xtar.html

Here's where you can get the game's sources:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/worminator/develop

Is there anyone with proper skills interested in finishing that port?

Edit: Crap, haven't noticed there's a "I need help (dev stuff only)" section of the forum. Sorry for the problem, I hope a mod can move this topic to the right place.

Looks like a very fun game to play. Unfortunately I cannot program but will eventually start to learn in my spare time. Hope that this game can be ported soon!
cool.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Got mouse control working but it's over sensitive at the moment. I haven't looked at it for a few days - really busy at work at the moment.

(I'd have put some updates on my gp32x.de blog but I don't have access to add posts anymore :( just edit old ones)

Just got a chance to have another look. Mouse control is fine now.

Few things though:

1) In the demo, the particle effects e.g. make it grind to a halt - can turn off some effects in the options
2) Memory is on the limit, connecting though telnet is enough to make it run out - I've added a bit of swap for now
3) It uses over 20 keys (some in combination). I think there are probably enough controls with some adaptation e.g. weapon select is keys 0-9 maybe L and R could be used to step through the selection.

The upshot is that will be quite a bit more work than I expected.

Great to hear you're still working on it.
Hope you can make it till the end :)

zear_ said:
Hope you can make it till the end :)

Made some progress [ and ] cycle through the weapons so that didn't end up as too much of a problem. I think there should be enough keys if I use the volume control (volume can be changed in the options menu).

There are a few glitches, it uses scrolling which is a bit cpu intensive for the GP2X.

I'll try a put an alpha version up soon for your comments.

Parkydr said:
zear_ said:
Hope you can make it till the end
smile.gif

Made some progress [ and ] cycle through the weapons so that didn't end up as too much of a problem. I think there should be enough keys if I use the volume control (volume can be changed in the options menu).

There are a few glitches, it uses scrolling which is a bit cpu intensive for the GP2X.

I'll try a put an alpha version up soon for your comments.
Sweet! Can't wait!
cool.gif

Just tried on F200 and look and play very well ...thank's a lot it's a great game, and thank's also to zear_ for suggest.. :)
Loading time is a bit long at first ..but in game is all ok.
It's a beta or final ?

I'd say it's alpha/almost beta, there's still a bit more to do, like being able to enter a name in the high score but it is basically functional.

That's a great job Parkydr, however i noticed that the game runs faster on my non-playable port.
You can notice in the demo mode, that in my port, the game doesn't lag at all, and in your port, it lags on explosions, or triggered objects, like big foots trying to squash you, or falling cigarette butts.
Also, the second episode is unplayable due to big lags.

Anyway, that's a wonderful job with the port, and I hope you can make it even better! :D

Edit:
I forgot to mention, that the sound is too low in my F-200 4.1.0 (can barely hear anything). A common problem with that firmware I think.

I'll do a comparison with your version.

The volume can be changed in the options menu (There weren't enough keys to use the volume keys for volume).

Parkydr said:
The volume can be changed in the options menu (There weren't enough keys to use the volume keys for volume).
Yeah, it's set to 255 (max) and still can barely hear anything

zear_ said:
Parkydr said:
Yeah, it's set to 255 (max) and still can barely hear anything

I think I've fixed the lagging, but the volume seems to be at maximum. Do you know how to fix it?

Parkydr said:
I think I've fixed the lagging
Awesome!
but the volume seems to be at maximum. Do you know how to fix it?
Well, nope, but the sound in my port is always fine, and I noticed, that if I first run my port, and then yours, the sound in yours is fine too.

zear_ said:
Parkydr said:
I think I've fixed the lagging
Awesome!
but the volume seems to be at maximum. Do you know how to fix it?
Well, nope, but the sound in my port is always fine, and I noticed, that if I first run my port, and then yours, the sound in yours is fine too.

The only real difference is allegro_fix, I assumed it just used SDL to initialise the blitter, it doesn't do any sound stuff too does it?

Parkydr said:
The only real difference is allegro_fix, I assumed it just used SDL to initialise the blitter, it doesn't do any sound stuff too does it?
Yup, it just initializes the blitter, no sound stuff in it.
Maybe it's because of the toolchain?
I use some (probably) outdated version of open2x.
I could try to recompile your version with my toolchain to see if it makes a difference.

Back