Would this IPS screen work on the Pandora?

The answer is probably "It depends how much tinkering around you're willing to do!"

Both look to be "Display Parallel Interface" devices, with a 3x8bit parallel connection, plus sync triggers, etc. What little experience I have with that kind of display says it takes are fair bit of tweaking timing patterns and bit orders to make it work. You might want to have a look at the schematics for the Pandora lid PCB/FFC (combining the display and speakers) to work out what order the pins are in.

Making the capacitive touch layer work sounds additionally tricky - since they work very differently from resistive touch panels. Possible, certainly - if you like hardware hacking - but non-trivial.

If you do decide to have a go, I'd be interested to hear how it works out!

Well, i am certainly not a hardware hacking expert but i really would like to upgrade my display to a better IPS one (even a resistive one although i prefer capacitive). I hope @EvilDragon or some other community member will offer such service in future.

Reactions: rSl
That service is called: Buy a Pyra.

Srsly, possible or not, unless you are an hardware hacking expert you can not modify it anyway making this question kinda pointless.

But according to some Posts, the Pyra Screen is awefull because of the Touch Layer?
Pandora and Pyra are a bit difficult to MOD on the Screen because Handheld Screen arend that Plug and Play as an TV where you just plug your HDMI Cable in and it works, there is a lot of Timing, Software Hacking, and the right Cable involved..

And the Pandora Lid isnt that easy to open..

Has anyone done a successful screen upgrade with the Pandora, using this or anything else? It would be nice to have something a little brighter, and with better contrast.

Well, one way to get a brighter screen with better contrast is to get a Pyra. Unfortunately at time of writing, you still need to preorder one if you want one.
If the answer is "buy another device" then there are a million options out there for cheaper.

It would take a serious feat to allow a modern IPS screen to work on the Pandora, if you can get something to work with custom circuitry, then you also likely run into the issue that almost every screen released now seems to be portrait biased ex 720x1280 resolution vs 1280x720 due to the cellphone market. There would have to be some serious software and hardware updates to handle that. Finding a 800x480 IPS screen would be difficult and unlike computer monitors, these LCDs don't automatically scale up lower resolutions to higher ones, so you would be forcing decade old hardware to try and scale up to higher resolutions to accommodate the modern LCD resolution.

.... so lots of things to consider. Just a brief thought dump... I'm on my cell phone so sorry for my sloppy response.

Back