X button seems to be broken

Aethix

The X button on my Pandora doesn't seem to do anything when I push it. I'm not sure if the button isn't pushing down properly, or if it's stuck in the down position. Is there anything I can try to fix this?

When you state that you push it do mean during a game?

Have you tried remapping the buttons to see if it registers there?

Last edited:
On HF6 there exists a menu option under XFCE: bring up the menu, choose settings, and select Pandora Input Tester. It also exists in Minimenu under the System tab. If you're on HF5 or earlier you can open a terminal and type "op_test_inputs" on the command line for the same thing.

What you'll see is a representation of the keyboard. Don't worry about the nubs, they need to be specially setup before running this app to do anything, but we're ignoring that setup for now.

An unpressed key will be grey, a pressed key shows as green. In HF6 an additional feature was added: a key that was pressed but has been released will show as yellow instead of grey. You can use this program to determine if your key is not responding properly.

Thanks, I used the input tester (although it was in System on the menu, not Settings) and the X-button stayed gray, so the button just isn't responding correctly, I suppose. Is there anything I might be able to do myself to fix it, or do I have to send my system in?

Last edited by a moderator:
It has been seen to happen once or twice that the conductive paint on the underside of the keys has not been applied properly. If you're feeling bold you can very carefully open it up, remove the keymat, and inspect the underside. If the X button is missing the conductive paint it'll be obvious. This can be fixed with a tiny bit of your own paint which can often be bought at hobby shops for $5 for a tiny bottle. I can't think of anything else it may be.

Well, I have neither the confidence nor the expertise to be opening up the console, so I suppose I'll just have to send in the system for repairs.

Look man : go take a look at this video :

https://www.youtube.com/embed/l8GfjAsbmK8?feature=oembed
This shows EvilDragon step by step guide on how to change a lcd cable. I know you dont need this, but it shows how to carefully and securely open the case without breaking anything. You might want to take a look at that and try it by yourself : the process is about 15 minutes long, you just unscrew 5 screws, unplug the wifi antenna from the board, unplugging the lcd cable and taking a look at your keymat. Sending it for an rma will be a waste of time IMO... ED has a lot of other thing to do, IMO.

Try it before sending it.

Please try it before sending it in, the risk of breaking something while opening the Pandora will be zero to none if you follow ED's video guide JeFF posted. Unless you drop your Pandora on the floor during the repair which I doubt will happen....if you are careful about it. :)

Back