XBMC for Pandora ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Website
Visit site
Not sure if the Pandora will ever see xbmc tho it can be run within linux ,its my fav gui for everything you would want on a console-handheld with only one problem being theres no real multitask functionality and not really updated much these days.

Would love to have a Pandorised version or Something simular but with more
features and multitasking all the way.

ideas
-----

Boot time -pandora starts wifi,sound,graphics and other drivers - Splash
main menu - games/music/pictures/movies/apps/settings/
(also displays time/date/weather/news feed - live running on bootup)
games menu - shows games/emulators/
(has options to display content in different views)

under apps - web browser and radio player - or better if on main menu
under settings - time/date and so on , but will have themes,themes can
change the entire layout of the gui.

all the other menus would be the same as games menu, tho all menus including games
menu should also have a read from samba directory and if a usb hd is plugged in it would
also apear for browsing into,each menu has a defined theme,music has musical background
image and so on.

now , the multitask bit ...
at any time on any menu,or running any app,game or whatever ,you can press a (home/function button) and this will give options to ....

---------------------------------
music (plays currently selected music directory)
radio (plays currently selected in station list)
web browser (starts the integrated web browser,tho if loaded and minimised it will bring it up)
standby
shutdown

Like xbmc and linux ,there could be an updates menu where you can browse for
things to install/update like themes,backgrounds,sounds and animations,visulisations
plugins and so on ,in the same kind of way aptget works for linux and xbmc update scripts
work.

I know that the more apps you have running the less responsive a game/app will
run ,when running games, you should be limited to music and radio,no net browser
as i would imagin it taking too much cpu and memory.

Thats how i see a good gui,if the pandora could be something like that then it would
be very cool,if you guys havent seen xbmc ,have a look at it on youtube for an idea
of what im trying to say.

I love XBMC, but I would be uneasy having it on the Pandora. If it was pulled off correctly, it might work out kind of nice...Hmm

I just like that we will be able to have choice.

I found this post on gp32x.de

TaG said:
Not sure if we'll ever see XBMC on Pandora forums. Oh wait... Here we go! XBMC!

Worse, we get to read this on both forums. Joy.

By the way, the search button is at the top right. Or google "site:gp32x.de XBMC".

Bloody annoying this duplication, isn't it.

Last edited by a moderator:
can i ask to have this removed as it anoys some people that i have double posted
on gpx32 as well as here,i thought this was a good idea as there seems to be as much
activity here as on the gp32x forum.

sorry if that really hurt anyone.

Sorry paddy, it hasn't hurt me, and I hope you don't take offense at my post. I think that duplication is inevitable if we carry on with two forums. I have to be honest, I thought 'hang on, haven't I read a different reply to this' then twigged.

Over on GP32X there is a lengthy discussion on XBMC, so you might find some of that interesting. There are quite a few good threads there (and some dross too..)

I asked about this on the XBMC forums (in an existing thread about ARM). I'm ninja posting from work so I can't go looking for it, but if you go to http://www.xbmc.org and search for posts by Gruso and you'll find the thread. (I only have 2 posts there).

No one is actively working on an ARM port, but there is some interesting info in the thread (for coders in particular). They're pretty helpful over there. Interest might pick up once Pandora ships.

I will be looking into porting the XBMC Live disk image to DirectFB and ARM after I get my Pandora. It's not high on my list of things to do though...first I'm probably going to make a game engine and a small game to showcase it. I'm still not sure whether or not I will start with porting XBMC to OpenGL ES first and then switching over to DirectFB later, as I have never used DirectFB...so it will be a learning experience to say the least. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back