Windows On Pandora

Status
Not open for further replies.

paddy

Website
Visit site
I know nothing about linux but all i am reading is that pandora will utilise linux in a big
way,does this mean i will have to know command line functions and will i have to install
libs and stuff to the pandora gui in the native linux fasion ?

i would prefer a simple to use menu system gui and if i want to run homebrew and other
apps then it would be an icon or something simular,on top of this would linux os then be
run from one of these icons that then opens up something different to the user.

this is where my question comes in , can windows os be installed and run on the pandora
just like a linux distro ? or is the fact that its non x86 mean no microsoft unless its
running off linux-xwine emulation.

i only know of some of this linux detail as i have a modded xbox with xbmc and linux
xdsl distro installed,i do want pandora to be an easy to use non linux must learn enviroment.

This question has been asked plenty of times.
Unless you want to develop for the Pandora, you will need practically NO linux knowledge. The homebrew, emulators, music and video are just drag 'n' drop to the sd card.

Windows would run if you emulated the x86 chip but performance would be slow to the point of unusable.

Don't know what this would be in terms of Frames Per Second, anyone know?

can't you guys just let go of communist microsoft? common, We want this OPEN SOURCE, linux is linux for a reason, and do you see Windows source code freely available online? No. It is called OpenPandora for a reason.

if windows cant be run then fine doesnt mean i think any differently about the pandora ,its just a question as i like most, prefer windows over linux and would love the possibility of using windows,and the other side of the question was that tho i admire and respect all that linux is,i just dont want to be forced into learning commands and stuff related to linux unless i choose to ,this could also be said for windows95 and dos as i wasnt the most into learning anything about that either.

lets not turn this into a windows or linux thing as i know little about
both os's and just like to keep it simple.

There will be a GUI on the pandora you dont have to lern the commands.
The PSP or the DS arent windows but you dont have to learn anything new.

NnnononooO!

wooow.gif

Microsoft is not "communist," they're a capitalist corporation. Communists happen to support open source. ;)

paddy said:
its just a question as i like most, prefer windows over linux

If the GUI creators do their job right (and I'm pretty sure they will) then you wouldn't even know it's Linux unless someone told you.

It's like asking what operating system an X-Box runs on. It doesn't matter. It's an X-Box.

(Though, I'm sure a penguin will show up somewhere. You just can't keep them away from a Linux project.)
no microsoft unless its running off linux-xwine emulation.

Even WINE and it's closed-source sibling Cedega will not run on Pandora. Wine does not emulate the CPU. The only thing WINE "emulates" is the interface between a program and the OS. (If you run a game on WINE, the game thinks it's talking to Windows, but it's really talking to Linux.) The programs themselves will still require an x86 CPU, without that they can't even get to the point where Wine would help.

Kloplop321 said:
communist microsoft

Klopop321 is obviously from the Mirror Mirror universe. Say 'hello' to Evil Spock for us!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, remember that you would either have to purchase a copy of Windows for Pandora, or it would have to come shipped, which would drive the price of the unit up.

I *really* wouldn't worry. I am far from a Linux pro, I only installed Ubuntu about a month ago. That being said, it is no more difficult than Windows to use for everyday tasks, and in some ways it is a lot easier.

Unless you plan on doing coding, porting or other development, you will probably not even use the command line. At most, you would be copying and pasting something somebody else has written up.

Pandora is going to be as simple or as complicated as the individual user wants it to be. That is actually one of the coolest things about it.

paddy said:
I know nothing about linux but all i am reading is that pandora will utilise linux in a big
way,does this mean i will have to know command line functions and will i have to install
libs and stuff to the pandora gui in the native linux fasion ?

i would prefer a simple to use menu system gui and if i want to run homebrew and other
apps then it would be an icon or something simular,on top of this would linux os then be
run from one of these icons that then opens up something different to the user.

this is where my question comes in , can windows os be installed and run on the pandora
just like a linux distro ? or is the fact that its non x86 mean no microsoft unless its
running off linux-xwine emulation.

i only know of some of this linux detail as i have a modded xbox with xbmc and linux
xdsl distro installed,i do want pandora to be an easy to use non linux must learn enviroment.
I'm not sure, but it seems you're seeing windows as "the graphic os" and linux as "the command line". This is a common misunderstanding. Linux has many comparable to or better than windows graphical user interfaces. Normal users don't usually need to touch the command line (textual) interface of linux except for some administrative purposes. With a device like Pandora, I doubt you'll ever have to use the CLI in normal use.

RedStar1949 said:
Microsoft is not "communist," they're a capitalist corporation. Communists happen to support open source. ;)
Libertarians, too, which makes for a strange meeting of the minds.

VRAndy said:
Kloplop321 said:
communist microsoft

Klopop321 is obviously from the Mirror Mirror universe. Say 'hello' to Evil Spock for us!

Microsoft has given me plenty of issues and a mirror against a mirror is the same as the first :p

Yes they are under capitalism, but they are a monopolist, and under communism the government owns just about everything, therefore, if they are on everything they are near to be communistic :p

Kloplop321 said:
a mirror against a mirror is the same as the first :p
Not if they're at different angles.

Hang on... a mirror against a mirror gives the infinate corridor effect.

Mithrildor said:
You seriously don't want windows. Windows = baaaaaaaaaad! (Ok I use windows because I have no choice as a gamer.) Kloplop is right , they are a monopolist.
As much as I'd like it to be, Linux isn't good enough for a lot of people's needs. The same is true of Open Source software in general, even though there are some shining gems.

Things are improving though, and I think Linux and OSS are the future.

Mithrildor said:
Windows has alot of apps yes. But they were porting the mobile version of windows , right?
The point of this is to be open. Windows is not open. Windows is not being ported. The only way you could run windows is to emulate it. I wish people would stop asking about windows.

Mithrildor said:
Windows has alot of apps yes. But they were porting the mobile version of windows , right?
The mobile version of Windows is a different OS that shares the Windows branding. They run seperate applications, sorry.

Search button please. I've been around Pandora forums for about two months or so and this question has already been answered several times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back