Running Starcraft On Wine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
mindlord said:
I submit that for the longest time we haven't had anyone ask a "something Wine something something Darkside" question, but shortly after you unsticky that particular thread, we get one. If ever there was a thread that deserved a sticky outside of the Information Index, it's the Windows/Wine thread.
And the best part about that thread was that you didn't have to actually read it, the topic said it all.

Edit:
The way it is now you have to enter the thread, find the link to the FAQ (one of many) and then do a search for WINE because the FAQ is pretty big. The average newbie either won't have the patience or the intelligence (or both) to find the answer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Awakening said:
mindlord said:
I submit that for the longest time we haven't had anyone ask a "something Wine something something Darkside" question, but shortly after you unsticky that particular thread, we get one. If ever there was a thread that deserved a sticky outside of the Information Index, it's the Windows/Wine thread.
And the best part about that thread was that you didn't have to actually read it, the topic said it all.

Edit:
The way it is now you have to enter the thread, find the link to the FAQ (one of many) and then do a search for WINE because the FAQ is pretty big. The average newbie either won't have the patience or the intelligence (or both) to find the answer.

I have to agree here. I was crazy enthused to see the subsiding tides in WINE questions with that sticky there. It was the first thing I saw when I entered the boards and I never actually read the content. I was even going to suggest we add another sticky saying something like "Pandora cell phone possibilities...discuss here" based on how well that one did.

Awakening said:
Except the title was wrong since one can run Wine using QEMU on an ARM machine.
But I agree that goes beyond what a newbie needs to know :)

Look, if someone starts a new thread asking something that is clearly answered in the FAQ, all you have to do is provide a link to it and then stop posting in that thread. There doesn't need to be two pages of discussion over a question that was answered in post #2.

Chip said:
Look, if someone starts a new thread asking something that is clearly answered in the FAQ, all you have to do is provide a link to it and then stop posting in that thread. There doesn't need to be two pages of discussion over a question that was answered in post #2.

Yes, but if it does tend to prevent such topics by leaving a sticky with a title that answers their question, why not? Then we don't have to see such topics cluttering the front page.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Then we don't have to see such topics cluttering the front page.
Instead you have dozens fo stickies cluttering the front page. Redundant and unnecessary threads are only there until people stop posting in them and they fall off. Stickies are there always. To prove how fast unnecessary threads fall off the front page if only you would stop posting in them, I'm locking this one now. By tomorrow, you won't even remember it was here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back