Wine Running On A N900 (Maybe Pandora Too...)

Notepad mangled all my edited GPE's on the Wiz, till I learned I had to use a linux friendly editor.

OFFTOPIC.

B-ZaR said:
SomeGuy99 said:
I'm sure people rolled their eyes at the first guy to walk out of Africa (when humanity was still half-monkey).

Humans are still 98% monkey :p

wait what! its 99.8% against apes! or was it against pigs? well back to the topic.

/OFFTOPIC

nice, now lets try 95 and 98.

Last edited by a moderator:
TitanUranus said:
Notepad mangled all my edited GPE's on the Wiz, till I learned I had to use a linux friendly editor.

Linux uses a different text format. I'm not sure who's breaking from the universal format though.

SomeGuy99 said:
Linux uses a different text format. I'm not sure who's breaking from the universal format though.
Technically Linux is. Sort of. Depending on who you ask. Back in the history of computing, output was done on teletype machines (printers). To get to the first column of the next line required two characters: one character was formfeed (advance the paper one line) and carriage return (return to the very first character). By sending just a carriage return, you would simply return to the start of the current line and begin overwriting it, or just a formfeed would only drop by one line and continue at the same column it left off. Together, they went to the start of the next line.
IBM continued to use this same format for its text files. Even after the video monitor became more widespread, they continued to use the same two-character new line, possibly for backwards compatibility. Unix came along and decided that, since we weren't dealing with printers anymore, a single character would suffice. Linux continues that single character tradition.
I'm not sure where Mac fits into all this.
Most text editors at least have the ability to view both styles, even if they only write files in their native format. Notepad, however, only shows a new line if it contains both formfeed and carriage return characters.

WizardStan said:
I'm not sure where Mac fits into all this.
Mac uses a different format. Windows uses the old IBM standard of carriage return + line feed (CR+LF), Unix-likes uses just LF, and Mac uses just CR. Once text formats were standardized, it was agreed that any of those formats are correct, and any text reader should be able to interpret all three correctly. So none are breaking from "standard" unless they don't read the others. For example, Windows Notepad is a jerk and will only accept CR+LF. I take it that whatever reads GPE files is a similar kind of jerk.

Read more about it! According to that article, CR was only used on Mac up until OS9; OSX is Unix-based, so it uses the Unix-style LF.

Say what you want, but I still love Notepad.

You can't take away my love. Please... :eek:

windows apps, on a miniature Linux device, like taking a dump on a cupcake.... starcraft would be the sprinkles

Random things:

- QEMU can now use KVM or Xen to avoid having to translate code (of course this means you run for instance x86 on x86)
- QEMU on ARM can reach the speed of ~K6 @100 MHz (see here)
- having the Wine libraries compiled as x86 libs isn't the way to go :)
- Wine on x86 has performance issues; I had to switch back to Windows in order to play WoW raids 25 without going down to 8 fps (and under Windows I'm most of the time above 60 fps in the same conditions).

WizardStan said:
Back in the history of computing, output was done on teletype machines (printers). To get to the first column of the next line required two characters: one character was formfeed (advance the paper one line) and carriage return (return to the very first character). By sending just a carriage return, you would simply return to the start of the current line and begin overwriting it, or just a formfeed would only drop by one line and continue at the same column it left off. Together, they went to the start of the next line.

I think you'll find that was linefeed - formfeed spat the whole page out and moved to the top of the next page, assuming you had continuous paper or, later, a "sheet feeder".

Back