Wine Running On A N900 (Maybe Pandora Too...)

darionapole

just found this. Watching the video, wine seems to run pretty decent to me, maybe some devs should give it a try. Some light weight windows 95 apps like ACDSee 2.24 are very usefull and as back in those days there weren't high resolution displays, they should very well run in a 800x480 screen.

http://wine-reviews.net/wine-reviews/news/wine-running-on-a-nokia-n900.html

Even if it only means I get to run notepad, this is dead cool.

Also might be cool:

MS Paint, Notepad++, Solitaire, various Win 3.1 games without the need for Dosbox?

You gotta be kidding right?

"ARM based superphone N900 running the x86 wine binary via a statically compiled arm qemu binary, within an x86 chroot."

So it's an ARM-based emulator of an entire PC (presumably a Linux based PC), running a Wine program which is emulating Windows programs. It's running like a stunned sloth as it is and they don't show *anything* complicated running at all. The second video shows a program - Progman.exe - that is from Windows 3.1 and just needs to display a couple of windows with a close button... it used to run BLINDING fast even on just an old 386. Watch the video, they can't even run that fast enough to have a click/drag recognised.

This is one of those "I do it because it's possible" projects that will never have any practical use whatsoever. You're emulating at least two ENTIRE layers within that single "test" - first is emulating every single bit of hardware of a PC (with a program with which my Dual-core can barely match 486/Pentium speeds unless I enable native acceleration - which you *can't* do on ARM), next is running that to the point of having a working Linux machine emulated, next is ON THAT EMULATED LINUX MACHINE running Wine which can add anything up to 50% more processing to every task you want to do even on a modern, native dual-core desktop.

If you really want to wait for about 30 minutes for a basic Windows program to load up, feel free. If you want to double-click, any two clicks within about 2 minutes of each other would probably be recognised as a double-click, the software is running so slow.

This is actually starting to make me fill physically ill, just a little bit. I don't know why.

If this can run Win95 Games I will be sooooooooooooooooooooo happy I will forget about the stupid volcano.

skeezix said:
Yay, Starcraft at 2fps ftw :)

lol can;t wait to use internet explorer on my pandora!

Last edited by a moderator:
3.1 on DOSbox is the way forward for people who want to do this I guess. I would recomend crerating a 40mb ram disk, mount it as C: drive and copy the pre-installed windows 3.1 files to the off SDHC to the C: ram drive before loading though as it may improve read/write access to a point that makes at least some old stuff work at a feasibly (if not feebley) useful speed. For Windows games, I really reccomend SCUMMVM or looking for ports to SNES, Mega Drive or PSX (a lot of good DOS/95 games were available on PSX). I love the idea of arseing around with DOSbox though, what a tragedy it was so relentlessly pitiful on the GP2X Wiz. If the Pandora can handle Star Trek Judgment Rites, Rex Nebular, Sherlock Holmes, Skyroads and Buzz Aldrins Race Into Space (using dos32a replacement for dos4gw of course) I'll be as happy as a dog with a huge bone and a massive pair of hairy balls to play with.

Look, I tried cleaning that last sentence up for the kiddies and it seems to have turned out worse, damn my good intentions.

skeezix said:
Just a matter of optimizing :p

There is a N64 version of Starcraft, though I never played it (probably sucks). It might have a couple of frames per second more.

Caine said:
skeezix said:

There is a N64 version of Starcraft, though I never played it (probably sucks). It might have a couple of frames per second more.

The N64 version did suck in comparison to the pc version. Never tried it with the n64 mouse support though so who knows....

Trevsweb said:
skeezix said:

lol can;t wait to use internet explorer on my pandora!
oh yeah good times. i remember using that with dial in connection downloading gamemaker files to make my own games back then.

But will this be any working good thing on pandora? or not? possibilities?

Caine said:
skeezix said:

Is it difficult to emulate? I remember it not being supported in Surreal (Xbox N64 emu) using any of the emulation cores (eg. Project 64).

grasshoppir said:
now it should be able to do DS emulation thru wine

If you drink enough, it can emulate anything you want.

ledow said:

"ARM based superphone N900 running the x86 wine binary via a statically compiled arm qemu binary, within an x86 chroot."

So it's an ARM-based emulator of an entire PC (presumably a Linux based PC), running a Wine program which is emulating Windows programs.

Not exactly. qemu-i386 is not a PC emulator. It is a Linux binary loader + x86 emulator. This means that it emulates x86 for running Linux user space binaries, but when the binary makes a system call, it is executed on the native ARM kernel, and not an x86 emulated kernel. This method also has

aq21 said:
ledow said:

So it's an ARM-based emulator of an entire PC (presumably a Linux based PC), running a Wine program which is emulating Windows programs.

Not exactly. qemu-i386 is not a PC emulator. It is a Linux binary loader + x86 emulator. This means that it emulates x86 for running Linux user space binaries, but when the binary makes a system call, it is executed on the native ARM kernel, and not an x86 emulated kernel. This method also has

It is emulating a PC. To emulate x86, it needs to emulate the other parts of a PC that the x86 architecture uses to run. What it isn't emulating is Windows programs, because it says it in the damn name: "Wine Is Not an Emulator". Wine is a compatibility layer that takes advantage of the similar architecture that Windows and Linux share. (x86) Which is why unless you are emulating x86, like qemu is doing, it is almost useless on an ARM system. (That is, until the Wine Libraries get full ARM support)

-God Ginrai

Back