Beta Xbmc Media Center

sebt3

homebrew player (P. & C.)
Website
sebt3.openpandora.org
Hi there,

Here is a PND build of the lastest (git clone from this morning...) XBMC.
The website is here : http://xbmc.org/

That's what configure sad me about what he was about to do :
------------------------
XBMC Configuration:
------------------------
Debugging: Yes
Profiling: No
Optimization: Yes
Crosscomp.: Yes
target ARCH: arm
target CPU: no
OpenGLES: Yes
VDPAU: No
VAAPI: No
CrystalHD: No
VDADecoder: No
OpenMax: No
Joystick: Yes
XRandR: No
GOOM: No
Bluray: No
MID Support: No
ccache: Yes
PulseAudio: No
HAL Support: Yes
FAAC: Yes
DVDCSS: Yes
Avahi: Yes
Non-free: Yes
ASAP Codec: No
Webserver: No
libRTMP support: No
Deprecated libdts: No
Deprecated liba52: No
External FFmpeg: Yes
External Python: Yes
prefix: /mnt/utmp/xbmc
------------------------

-----------
known bug :
-----------
As this is using SDL (yes as no randr, sdl), the nub/touchscreen desyncho is there. But it's still workable.

Please actually test this (I just made sure it start). Ho if someone post some screenies, you'll make many others happy :p

Error

XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics drive

Please contact XBMC Wiki for supported hardware

On a pretty standard install (only recently been reflashed) it won't load for me

kNeo gHau said:
Error

XBMC needs hardware accelerated OpenGL rendering.
Install an appropriate graphics drive

Please contact XBMC Wiki for supported hardware

On a pretty standard install (only recently been reflashed) it won't load for me
Arg, wrong upload, this is using their loading script (which explicitly search for GL....)
I'll upload a better one tommorow :(

EDIT:
while having this popup, start a console and :
Code:
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH="/mnt/utmp/xbmc/lib:${LD_LIBRARY_PATH:-"/usr/lib:/lib"}"
/mnt/utmp/xbmc/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin

EDIT: should be fixed in my last upload :)

Last edited by a moderator:
wow xbmc on the panda... make me wanting one, because i love it on my xbox!

just fired it up and it's been sat at what i presume is a flash screen for a few minutes. Looks like it's locked solid, no response to holding the pandora button in xfce, required a P+power button special.

pndrunxbmc_run.out contains the line.
"ERROR: Could not determine network interfaces, you must use a interface config line"

seems this issues goes away if you have wifi on (i presume) or a wired connection (as im using).

seems to be up and running ok. i shall have a good play around with this tonight, hoping it might talk to my twonky server.

thanks very much sebt3, it is much appreciated.

Had a quick look at this one. There are no menu entrys at the left side. Just the submenuitems you can scroll out.
After trying to select an menuitem it crashed for me.

Would we be able to use xbmc as a launcher for emulators? I would be happy if my Pandora booted directly into XBMC instead of the desktop or the mini menu...

Just an idea for the future.

boots and runs fine for me. but skin is a bit messed up ill try and take a screenshot. whats the screenshot button? it plays files from the sd card fine (tested mp4 video) . couldnt connect to a smb share or download a new skin.

meandu229 said:
but skin is a bit messed up ill try and take a screenshot. whats the screenshot button?
don't know or I would have done it myself, but a shot of the pandora running xbmc should do :p

meandu229 said:
it plays files from the sd card fine (tested mp4 video) . couldnt connect to a smb share or download a new skin.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I might be able to do something about the skin download.

to sum the thread :
Known problems : | workaround :
- nub/touchscreen desynchro | use only one with the D-PAD
- Mounting smb share isnt working | mount it manually before starting xbmc then use the file-browser
- Network is requiered
- Original skin have some issue
- cant install new skins

sebt3 said:
meandu229 said:
but skin is a bit messed up ill try and take a screenshot. whats the screenshot button?
don't know or I would have done it myself, but a shot of the pandora running xbmc should do :p

meandu229 said:
it plays files from the sd card fine (tested mp4 video) . couldnt connect to a smb share or download a new skin.
Thanks for the detailed feedback. I might be able to do something about the skin download.

to sum the thread :
Known problems : | workaround :
- nub/touchscreen desynchro | use only one with the D-PAD
- Mounting smb share isnt working | mount it manually before starting xbmc then use the file-browser
- Network is requiered
- Original skin have some issue
- cant install new skins
I think its could be a problem of where the skin is saving to, I did a fresh flash last night and the skin got to 4% before stopping, which to me indicates maybe it ran out of space?

I've not used XMBC before so not got a clue what to do with it but it looks awesome on the Pandora. Thanks Sebt3.

Heres some screengrabs from within it running (I didnt resize so it can be seen whats easy on the eye and not, sorry its ungodly long)

How do you add it beneath a Spoiler? I'll happily remove these and resize aswell if wanted btw.

56158445.png

82238819.png

61694275.png

74897574.png

72302292.png

31908305.png

14857317.png

12615379.png

96699167.png

78030633.png

35119378.png

It works as documented when I run it from my stock NAND system, but from my SD OS i get this:
Code:
pandora:~$ cat /tmp/pndrunxbmc_run.out 
rm: cannot remove `/tmp/cpuspeed': No such file or directory
not mounted on loop yet, doing so
LoopMountedon: 
/dev/loop2
Filetype is Squashfs
sudo mount -t squashfs  /dev/loop2
mounting union!
Filesystem is 
[------------------------------]{ App start }[---------------------------------]
sh: lsb_release: not found
sh: lsb_release: not found
ERROR: Unable to create application. Exiting
[-------------------------------]{ App end }[----------------------------------]
cleanup done
pandora:~$

I'm gonna try to investigate a bit more, but decided to let you know in case you have any hints onto wtf is going on.

EDIT: Found xbmc.log:
Code:
05:08:17 T:1111086288 M:117776384  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117755904 WARNING: Unable to determine Linux distribution
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117682176  NOTICE: Starting XBMC, Platform: Linux (Unknown, 2.6.27.46-omap1 armv7l). Built on Oct 19 2010 (SVN:34856)
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117682176  NOTICE: special://xbmc/ is mapped to: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/share/xbmc
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: special://xbmcbin/ is mapped to: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/lib/xbmc
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: special://masterprofile/ is mapped to: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/.xbmc/userdata
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: special://home/ is mapped to: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/.xbmc
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: special://temp/ is mapped to: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/.xbmc/temp
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: The executable running is: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/lib/xbmc/xbmc.bin
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117706752  NOTICE: Log File is located: /mnt/utmp/xbmc/.xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117723136  NOTICE: -----------------------------------------------------------------------
05:08:18 T:1111086288 M:117723136  NOTICE: Setup SDL
05:08:19 T:1111086288 M:117395456   ERROR: EGL Error: No Display found! dpy:0xbe0810 egl:0x1 init:0
05:08:19 T:1111086288 M:117334016   FATAL: CApplication::Create: Unable to init windowing system

So it seems that my 3D is borked as usual because I never use it and do all this kernel hacking. My Bad.

EDIT2: Found solution; I had upgraded to HF4 (and its kernel) some time ago, but it seems that because I was running a differently named kernel at the moment of the upgrade then the
"depmod -a" propably run by the updater wouldnt have had the desired effect. Thus changed modules weren't allowed to be loaded/found. Solution was depmod -a + modprobe omaplfb + modprobe bufferclass_ti .

This is absolutely awesome! Works for me except for that weird text issue at first so I have no idea what I'm selecting. Doesn't seem to play video that well... Also someone is going to have to make a better theme more suited for the pandora's touchscreen. Also I think we're going to need a pnd plugin to make this thing awesome!

But this is going to make the pandora awesome!

HackModford said:
This is absolutely awesome! *snip* Doesn't seem to play video that well...
Somehow I LOL'd.

Anyways it plaid everything that had played well on the pandora before using mplayer, so I didnt have any problems with the video playback (mind you I was running mostly at 700Mhz i think). I was expecting total video playback failure from such a fancy UI. Just dont try to force HD or x264 on it.

I came to add the note that I couldnt get any music visualization to work :/

Good point... I didn't overclock at all. Somehow I just completely forgot.
It might just be the codec too... I think it's xvid or something. When I play them in mplayer on the pandora it's like the color is low quality or something. In xbmc the color is great but maybe making the video look good requires more power?

Overclocking made it run better.
Just need to fix the menu issue and make it so it can run pnds.

seems to crash for me with no way of exiting after about 5 minutes, or sometimes after switching from Mp3 to Mp3, the app hangs completly. I have no Media server setup period at the moment so everythings off my SD card. My pandora's wifi is also not on when i use it, and I did try running it @ 500, 600, 650 and all the way to 750Mhz with the same results. Any Ideas?