Beta Xbmc Media Center

Many thanks for that. I thought it would never be ported.

My findings:
Crashes if I close the Pandora or turn the display backlight off.
Random crashes
When I play a video and escape to the menu, its very slow. Had to turn off the background video, that is displayed when browsing the menu.
Downloading skins does not work (stops downloading after 10% or so).
Main menu: Missing text graphics. Horizontal main menu solves that problem for now.

Maybe there is a lightweight skin somewhere that is optimized for speed.

urjaman said:
So it seems that my 3D is borked as usual because I never use it and do all this kernel hacking. My Bad.

EDIT2: Found solution; I had upgraded to HF4 (and its kernel) some time ago, but it seems that because I was running a differently named kernel at the moment of the upgrade then the
"depmod -a" propably run by the updater wouldnt have had the desired effect. Thus changed modules weren't allowed to be loaded/found. Solution was depmod -a + modprobe omaplfb + modprobe bufferclass_ti .
I glad you found out a solution, I was help-less :(

urjaman said:
I came to add the note that I couldnt get any music visualization to work :/
Yeah, I've disabled gloom visualisation support as I'm pretty sure it still depend on GL. I'll have a try though next time I'll build this.

mcobit said:
Had a quick look at this one. There are no menu entrys at the left side. Just the submenuitems you can scroll out.
After trying to select an menuitem it crashed for me.
Whynodd said:
Many thanks for that. I thought it would never be ported.

My findings:
Crashes if I close the Pandora or turn the display backlight off.
Random crashes
When I play a video and escape to the menu, its very slow. Had to turn off the background video, that is displayed when browsing the menu.
Downloading skins does not work (stops downloading after 10% or so).
Main menu: Missing text graphics. Horizontal main menu solves that problem for now.

Maybe there is a lightweight skin somewhere that is optimized for speed.

sebt3 said:
(git clone from this morning...)
This XBMC build is based on the current deleveloppemt tree. It mean it will be unstable and have glitches.
The XBMC devel team is gearing to a beta for the next release. The current commit-rate is astonish.
I'll PND the beta when released.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh yeah, I found a "workaround" (this should be actually fixed in the OS, maybe I'll drop a bug on it sometime) for the requirement of a network connection:
sudo ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1

Atleast for me sudo ifconfig doesnt even ask for a password, and I think that line is quite safe, so you could drop it into your xbmc.sh

Even the local loopback interface is not brought up by the OS on default (xbmc is fine with just loopback). It should be (atleast is on any other linux I've seen).

EDIT: Regarding visualizations; I guess "OpenGL Spectrum" uses GL (duh), but I'd check if atleast Waveform could be compiled?

Updated git half an hour ago, built it and updated the PND.

urjaman said:
Oh yeah, I found a "workaround" (this should be actually fixed in the OS, maybe I'll drop a bug on it sometime) for the requirement of a network connection:
sudo ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1

Atleast for me sudo ifconfig doesnt even ask for a password, and I think that line is quite safe, so you could drop it into your xbmc.sh
Added :)

Feedback welcome :)

So is the above the only change?

In any case I will give it a go!

Still missing font on main menu (I have a hard time knowing what I've selected)

Seems to be faster.

Can you make it launch PND's?

HackModford said:
Workaround: Try to change the main menu to horizontal somewhere in the preferences. Then it will show the text.

Whynodd said:
HackModford said:
Workaround: Try to change the main menu to horizontal somewhere in the preferences. Then it will show the text.

Thanks, that's good to know :)

Whynodd said:
HackModford said:

It works...

It's in Settings>Skin>Home window options>Use Horizontal Home Menu

But the weird small text still appears in the middle.

Any chance you can map commands to the game buttons? Like on an xbox controller?

HackModford said:
Why does it ask for my root password the first time I run?
It's asking *your* password because the script have detected you didn't have the loopback up and wanted to make sure network is there.

HackModford said:
Any chance you can map commands to the game buttons? Like on an xbox controller?
D-pad + enter or space work well imho.

^ You made it use gksu or somethign? -_-

/sbin/ifconfig is listed as NOPASSWD in /etc/sudoers.d/50_openpandora so AFAIK you can safely say sudo ifconfig <blah> in a script...

Pseudo-edit: Read man sudo. Use sudo -n ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1 - this way it will just fail (printing an error message that can be read from the pnd log) instead of halting the script for a password if the configuration is changed.
If you're paranoid, you can check the return value and handle it the UI way if this way fails (I wouldnt see the need).

urjaman said:
^ You made it use gksu or somethign? -_-

/sbin/ifconfig is listed as NOPASSWD in /etc/sudoers.d/50_openpandora so AFAIK you can safely say sudo ifconfig <blah> in a script...

Pseudo-edit: Read man sudo. Use sudo -n ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1 - this way it will just fail (printing an error message that can be read from the pnd log) instead of halting the script for a password if the configuration is changed.
If you're paranoid, you can check the return value and handle it the UI way if this way fails (I wouldnt see the need).
I though gksudo would follow the same rules as sudo. Sorry about that.

EDIT : if that bother you until I upload a new version, you can overwrite it :
... appdata/xbmc/scripts/pre_script.sh
creating an empty file here will disable this
or make it executable and put this in :
Code:
#!/bin/sh
if ! ifconfig lo|grep -q inet;then
        if ! sudo -n ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1;then
                gksudo -D "Start virtual network"  ifconfig lo up 127.0.0.1
        fi
fi

I didnt even test the new xbmc as I'm doing other stuff at the moment. Truth to be told I would have expected gksudo to skip the request if password isnt needed, but then who knows... Just read the replies and went "oh crap this is halfly/in some weird way my fault..." ...

Is there really no hope of launching PNDs with this?

I'd like to use it as an alternative to minimenu

HackModford said:
Is there really no hope of launching PNDs with this?

I'd like to use it as an alternative to minimenu
Try unpacking this in .../pandora/appdata/xbmc/.xbmc/addons.
Here is a bit more documentation :
http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Programs
http://www.xbmc4xbox.org/wiki/index.php?title=HOW-TO:_Create_shortcuts_to_.xbe_files
http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=HOW-TO_install_and_use_plugins_in_XBMC

The original release thread : http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=35739

Please report your findings here.
BTW : the code is written in python and look very hackable.

Okay I'll mess around with it... but I have a feeling it won't just launch a pnd... but we'll see ;)

Also something like this is what I would imagine my pandora setup to look lik 8)
screenshot002.png

Edit: Was reading the documentation... what arguments are needed to make a pnd run from a terminal?

I followed these instructions

Installation:
1. unzip the file into Plugins/Program directory.
2. (linux users only): create a symlink for /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 named /usr/lib/libcurl.so (run: "sudo ln -sf /usr/lib/libcurl.so.4 /usr/lib/libcurl.so" in terminal)
3. Run XBMC:
3.1. Switch to MC360 Skin (or some other skin that has "Programs" Section)
3.2. Go to Games -> Applications -> Add Source -> Browse -> Program Plugins
3.3. Select Launcher and Click "OK"
3.4. Click OK Again.
3.5. Right Click on "Launcher" Icon
3.6. Choose "Add to Favorites"
3.7. Switch back to PMIII Skin.
3.8. Click on the Arrow in the bottom right corner
3.9. Choose "Launcher"

Including the symlink one (I ran the terminal line they gave)

Launcher appears in programs now. But when I select it nothing happens.

Edit:

AndaleTheGreat,
The whole process of yours were wrong.
I'm sorry I didn't explain the process so well.

- The Launcher Plugin is capable to run many applications, so there is no need to replicate it and rename it.

- If you already has the Launcher plugin under programs, you do not need to do steps 3.1,3.2.3.3 and 3.4.

- once you have "Launcher" plugin in the Programs section, you can run it or add it to your favorites (using context-menu-> Add to Favorites)

- The first execution of the Plugin forces you to add an application to launch, you can add more applications later using context-menu -> Add new Launcher.
- The Scan of the files is used only on "File Launcher" applications.
you do not need to create a file launcher if you want to launch a single program without any parameters.

- If you'll create a file launcher, the scan process will add all of the files in a specific directory with specific extension to the list of the files that can be run with the launcher.
I'll give an example:
let's say I have an application called "C:\MAME\MAME.EXE" that can launch some games called "puyo.zip", "bobble.zip", etc. in "c:\mame\roms\" folder.
using arguments -joy for joystick control.

1. I'll create a file launcher.
2. Set the application to be "C:\MAME\MAME.EXE"
3. Set the application arguments to be "-joy"
4. Set the file path to be "C:\MAME\ROMS"
5. Set the extension to be "zip"
6. Set the title to be "MAME"

When I'll click on the MAME launcher it will scan C:\MAME\ROMS folder and add all of the files named "*.zip" to the list.
When I'll choose one of the files, for example: puyo.zip from the list, it will launch:
"C:\MAME\MAME.EXE" -joy "C:\MAME\ROMS\puyo.zip"

I hope this explanation is better.

That's a better explanation on how to use it. So it appears I am unable to actually run the plugin. Because I get nothing when I select it.

Yep I dd my own test, and it seems that python plugins aren't working :(

I knew the snake didn't like me I may have cheated too much with it

So at least for now, you cannot use this as a launcher.

Sorry :(

Yep... there was another one called executor. I was actually able to download the plugin from xbmc but it wouldn't launch either.

Now doesn't xbmc have some kind of native way to launch .xbe's? Can't you change it to launch pnd's?

Or is launching python scripts going to be working sometime in the future?

I checked the log and found a line that says

T:120108342 M:162017280 DEBUG: ADDON: cpluff: 'Could not return information about unknown plug-in plugin.program.executor

Which is the plugin I installed.