Xbox Jostick Mod

I just realized that that's our jobs, to keep old systems going forever with mods on other systems :)

Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 06:24 PM said:
I just realized that that's our jobs, to keep old systems going forever with mods on other systems :)

The only old joystick stuff I got laying around is sega genesis :p Hm ponders... And the 64 mod aint half bad, but its kinda ugly :p

I like those xbox ones, maybe ill pick up a cheap xbox controller and try em both :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Rayek posted on Dec 30 2005 at 08:54 PM said:
Hey gxx, your mod looks really neat. If i have problems with the stick when i get my unit, I'll definitely try that one out. I have two Madcatz Xbox controllers and basically, all they're good for is scrapping. Your mod looks really close to the casing, does it touch the case when you're pressing the directions? I'd imagine it'd have some contact issues, but other than that, that should keep everyone wandint a D-pad quiet for a while :>

But it doesn't work like a D-pad, does it? it still moves like a stick. I wonder if you can take that ring off the case and set the D-pad right on the switches. (I haven't seen the inside of a GP2X, so I don't know if it's possible.)
Thanks Rayek! It is indeed very close to the casing, I don't think I could get much closer without it touching but if it slips a bit I can file the edges of the D-pad down a bit, they've got a bit of an overhang. But right now it works just fine.

It does still move like a stick, but you've got the raised horizontal/vertical cross and pretty low action so you can sort of play it like a pad.

As far as a total d-pad conversion, I doubt it's possible. I think the way the GP2X works is that rather than have switches like an NES pad or whatnot, it's more like a miniature arcade control stick, where the actual base of the stick hits contacts to complete a circuit. I haven't opened mine up so I can't be sure.

Of course with enough resoldering anything might be possible, but since I can't even drill a hole without error, you can bet I'm not going to try anything that messes with the circuit board. ;)

BTW The controller brand I used was Hip Gear I think, probably just as good/bad as MadCatz but maybe the D-pad on the two are slightly different. Anyhow, surely there's a reason a real XBox controller costs $40 and a clone costs $9...

Drak posted on Dec 30 2005 at 10:35 PM said:
The only old joystick stuff I got laying around is sega genesis :p Hm ponders... And the 64 mod aint half bad, but its kinda ugly :p
The Sega Genesis 6-button controller is my favorite pad ever. I think the D-pad is too big for a GP2X though. Besides which, I could never bring myself to take mine apart. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
my megadrive controller only had 3 buttons :/ I like that dreamcast mod except its a shame it isnt black in colour.

Back