XenForo boards

EvilDragon

Administrator
Staff member
Well, since the IPB team has pissed me off a bit, I am considering switching to a new forum software.
I was asking for the possibility to include an optional simple editor (maybe even port the one from 3.4) to IPB4, but apparently they don't plan to support outdated devices (though even low-power devices like the Raspberry Pi will have issues with that editor).

I was looking at XenForo which seems to have the exact same functionality, but the editor is way better when it comes to quoting and everything and with one click you can switch to a simple BBCode Editor.

Apparently many IPB4 users are planning to move to XenForo (https://xenforo.com/community/threads/ipb-4-0-importer.96085/), so I'm now one of them.
I'll find out how to properly migrate, but I guess it's the correct step you do.

What do you think?
Anyone has any experience with XenForo so far?

I had never heard of XenForo before today,  but I do like the sound of that BBCode enabled editor. :)

-Neelix

EDIT: The lack of an existing importer is kind of worrying though... :unsure:

Last edited by a moderator:
Did someone create a 3-day demo on the XenForo site? Can others join in testing that demo version?

I wholeheartedly agree that IPB is aggravating. However, part of what makes it so, is its closed source nature.

XenForo is also closed, but there are many good open and free alternatives. Best of both worlds.

They differ on pricing, but nothing is very costly in that regard.

Not all of them have ipv4 importers, but http://www.mybb.com/download/merge-system does

My favourite forumsoft is discourse (note: not disqus) Which unfortunately has no importer ipb4

Doesn't waste space, looks friendly and to the point, welcoming to newcomers, easy to use.

EDIT: The lack of an existing importer is kind of worrying though... :unsure:

I'm already in contact with the staff. They are working on v2.0 and are planning to include an IPB4 importer as well.
They need some help with IPB4 data, so I'll make a copy of this website (without the member profiles) so they can work with that.

Did someone create a 3-day demo on the XenForo site? Can others join in testing that demo version?

Their own website is using XenForo. It also seems to have all functions I need (custom HTML blocks, inclusion of HTML sites and custom menus into the system, plugins, etc.)

I wholeheartedly agree that IPB is aggravating. However, part of what makes it so, is its closed source nature.

XenForo is also closed, when there are many good open and free alternatives.

They differ on pricing, but nothing is very costly in that regard. Importers that work with proprietary databases seem to be where the shoe is pressing. (edit: http://www.mybb.com/download/merge-system/ has one)

My favourite forumsoft is discourse (note: not disqus)

MyBB has worked successfully with migrating IPB4 to XenForo already (according to customer reports).
The reason I'm using a closed source software is because I simply don't have time to take care about all issues.
i.e. the missing attachment issues was fixed by the IPB team. It would've cost me hours to days to find out how to fix it.

That's an important reason for me: If something doesn't work, file a ticket and they'll fix it.

I've looked at discourse, but it's missing almost everything.
Posts seem just to be a long page with lots of spaces (even more than IPB4 had at the beginning), no real divider between the posts.

For me, it looks even worse than stock IPB4. Also, it doesn't seem you can easily add custom side blocks or menus using simple HTML and drag and drop as you can both with IPB4 and XenForo.

My only concern: Will it work with Opera 12?  :rolleyes:
Well, just use what works, I prefer plain, simple text editors where you in control, not fancy looking but bugy stuff like this one here, right now my cursor is not where I write the text, how weird is that? 

My only concern: Will it work with Opera 12?  :rolleyes:
Well, just use what works, I prefer plain, simple text editors where you in control, not fancy looking but bugy stuff like this one here, right now my cursor is not where I write the text, how weird is that? 

Well, I already got a reply from them :)
The importer will be written for XenForo 1.5 and updated for 2.0 when it'll be finished (which will still take a while).
Their aim for XF2.0 is still to support as many browsers as possible, they also plan to keep the same working editor as possible.

Sounds a lot better to me :D

XenForo looks like a good option when the importer is ready.
I like discourse a lot, but it's definitely a different style of forum.

I especially like discourse's editor as it lets you edit the source while seeing the preview at the same time.
it also supports markdown/html and BBCode

Well, discourse is just a simply discussion platform in my opinion.
Not very well readable for casual users, etc.

May look good, it's a security nightmare... Not that IPB seemed any different.

lemon64.com is using it for years, I can't recall that I ever had issues with it - seems to be a very reliable site. I don't visit that site daily but still quite regularly and I haven't seen spam once. Maybe a lot of maintaining is being done behind the scenes, but the result appears to be fine.
Kim Lemon is the admin of 2 pretty popular sites that are using it and he doesn't appear to be around much. Maybe he delegates the maintenance to a company or mods?

I'm using phpbb for the german boards. Adding extensions is a nightmare, an upgrade to the latest version didn't work for me as the UTF-8 converter for my old database didn't work, etc.
There are also no easy ways to use drag-and-drop sidebars, build a menu, etc.

It works if you only want to use boards or you got someone who has time to work on updates, plugins and fix stuff in case something doesn't work properly.
But I certainly don't have the time and was happy to use IPBs support so they could fix any issues we had with the boards for free within 24 hours.

Haven't heard anything about XenForo, unfortunatly.
But if anyone's Interested in another option, vBulletin used to be a good looking (although quite pricy) commercial alternative last time i checked (which i admit was a while ago). From what i understood it also came with an included IPB conversion script.

Did anyone happen to tincker with it latetly and can say it's a possible viable option (if at all)?

vBulletin seems to be the worst boards available since v4 or v5.
At least, I only heard bad things about it.

It's important to not lose the database, including post formatting information (like it happened on gp32x once where post formatting was lost...).

I'm using phpbb for the german boards. Adding extensions is a nightmare, an upgrade to the latest version didn't work for me as the UTF-8 converter for my old database didn't work, etc.
There are also no easy ways to use drag-and-drop sidebars, build a menu, etc.

I take the chance to ask: Is the german board going to get some love too? Not only a updated forum software but also mentions in videos and the Pyra blog would be great.

Anyway, I try my best to support it. :)

Well, German forum is a big question... not much going on there, so I always wonder whether it would make sense to include it into the official boards as well and make different language areas. AFAIK it's even possible to hide categories that are not in your language, so users of both boards would only need one login and users who only want to see the German and English section could choose that as well...

Back