Xgp Gameabout Webzine Interview

Well, I started out as someone who was more excited about the XGP, but I'm pretty much an GPX2-phile now and that interview confirmed it.

However, saying they don't want it to be an emulator machine, COULD mean he wants a good amount of commercial games out for the XGP which could coexist peacefully with the homebrew emulation scene.

Though, from the way that interview read, I doubt it.

From how i read the interview, it sounds to me like they are going to do whatever it takes to make sure that the XGP is not an emulation or homebrew machine, so if that is upgraded fw, or what, who knows.

Do we know what type of media it is using?? Is it using SD cards?

The XGP we all know will never be a major contendor in the handheld gaming market so in order to succeed it will need a gimmick of some sorts, i would think. I doubt we'd see games from Capcom, SNK, Sega, Konami, Tecmo, etc. etc. on this system.

Another thing that seems odd is, it seems to them that the GP32 was a failure. On some level it was, but much more it was a success. It was a commercial failure. But it sold many units still based on homebrew/emulation/ and community. You would think Gamepark themselves would recognize this and know that emulation and homebrew would sell more units than a no-name commercial system with little or no support. GP32 had worldwide support from the different scenes that developed, like this site, and GPSpain. XGP seems mostly focused on Korea and that above everything else will be the nail in the coffin for Gamepark.

"Is it using SD cards?"

There's an SD slot in those pictures.

"Gamepark themselves would recognize this and know that emulation and homebrew would sell more units than a no-name commercial system with little or no support."

Well, someone from Gamepark agreed with you and jumped ship to start up GPH :)

Vimacs posted on Aug 19 2005 at 02:15 PM said:
for me xgp sounds pretty nice.
If they get commercial games going and we also see a bit homebrew iam sold.
What do i need tons of emus for again, thats what i have my gp32 for, it emulates evrything i care about pretty well.

Well then it your case I don't know why you wouldn't just buy a PSP then. It is similar to XGP but better and will have alot nore games. Why buy a naff PSP clone when you can get the real thing?

Last edited by a moderator:
At least we should be happy we're gonna have two siblings with different purpose.

If XGP and GPX2 did practically the same thing, our community would split up with utter confusion!

The only way I could think of for XGP to survive is to add a PDA functionality.

Add a touchscreen where the keypads are, so it can be used to write, point stuff and be used as a mouse in a mouse mode for the top screen. It could even turn into a digital keypad. Chatting would be much faster with touchscreen as well.

Couple that with higher CPU mhz, and 64mb ram would make it much more plausible for developers to develope on. Even a strategy game would work well because touchscreen can be used as a mouse.

But still, R.I.P XGP. It might end up as a stillborn.

greenmikey posted on Aug 19 2005 at 06:20 PM said:
Is this a pack of "THIS be the challenger PLUS" moron or something???

http://www.gameabout.com/mobile/index.asp?...=18&cts_id=4452

second to last picture here..

Rofl

That is a pic of XGP put aside a carton of cigarret. It is to demonstrate that XGP will work everyway possible to be thinner than a carton of cigarret.

And This is a most commonly sold cigarret and also the most popular one. It is said their taste is great for the pricetag they have. I dunno how much they cost, though.

polooo2 posted on Aug 19 2005 at 06:01 PM said:
The only way I could think of for XGP to survive is to add a PDA functionality.

We've seen that already with the Zodiac, but the Zod still let people develope for it. If the XGP had PDA functionality, it still wouldn't have the PDA programs unless it had PALM OS or Pocket Windows.

So even with PDA functionality it would still die because Gamepark would still be determined to keep it a closed system. And if someone wants PDA functionality, they're going to buy a PDA. PDA's already have thousands of programs and emulators as well as pretty good media playback and large screens.

My IPAQ is great for watching movies and MP3 on the go, and it can play commercial games that are on par with PS1 games and I got it for $120. Luckily enough IPAQs have a pretty good d stick and good button layout for NES, GB emulation.

Captainbubby posted on Aug 19 2005 at 09:47 AM said:
However, saying they don't want it to be an emulator machine, COULD mean he wants a good amount of commercial games out for the XGP which could coexist peacefully with the homebrew emulation scene.

Though, from the way that interview read, I doubt it.

Well, the whole reason i bought a gp32 was so that i could have free games. I didnt care about the commercial scene, if i did i would have gotten a psp

Well exactly! Which is why I'm pretty sure everyone is wondering what they can offer that the PSP can't?

PSP is a helluva good emulation device. You'd be amazed if you saw the NeoGeo CD emulator (ported by YoyoFr). It's just fantastic.

The problem with PSP is - you can't have your cake and eat it. What I mean is, you have to upgrade firmware to play the new commercial games. But you can't run emus on the new firmware. So it's one or the other, not both.

So you either choose just emus, or just commercial games. Or you do what I did (in a moment of insanity perhaps) and buy 2 PSP's. One for emu/homebrew (JPN 1.0) plus my USA PSP, which will be for commercial games.

Most people won't do that. And I don't blame them AT ALL. I love my PSP's, and really am impressed with both the commercial games andthe emus for it. But honestly I think I'd like to sell one of them at some point, and maybe just use PSP for commercial games.

So I'm kinda hoping GPX2 turns out to be more capable for emus than the specs make it seem.

DaveC is right about stretched emus looking weird. On PSP even moreso than on Zodiac, especially when thing scrolls vertically. And as drop dead gorgeous as the PSp screen is (and it IS), it's got a low refresh rate so certain color combos (i.e. red and black) will give you an annoying ghosting effect onscreen. Every now and then you will find a game in an emulator that looks so bad from the ghosting that you don't want to play it, but that's very rare. So GPX2 will have an advantage there, assuming the screen is BLU+ or better in quality. And the PSP dpad is just awful, diagonals are a huge chore to pull off, so much of the time you end up using the analog nub for emus, and it works OK. But a good dpad or good thumbstick would've been best. And don't get me started on the idiotic speaker placement on the PSP - at the bottom pointing down! So when you lay down on yoru bed or sofa, and hold the PSP on your chest, the sound gets completely muffled. Terrible design. NDS probably has the best speakers of any handheld IMO.

There will probably never be a perfect device that does everything well. At this point I accept that I will probably always use 3 or 4 portables at the same time. Meaning one as a PDA, another 1 or 2 mainly for commercial games, and a 3rd for homebrew and emus.

At this time, I'm using NDS & PSP. PSP has largely replaced my GP32 for emus. So I only play GP32 a little now, for homebrew and Her Knights mainly. :) My Zodiac is nearly dead, very unstable, so I really only use for ebooks a little now, when it's not crashing. I think once GPX2 dev gets rolling, I may sell one of my PSP's and make the GPX2 my primary homebrew/emu device. We'll see...

Angle has the best idea strike a deal with microsoft..

Except the Gizmondo got licenced by microsoft game studios so the possibility of that is nil.

sounds to me like a sinking ship.

Who wants Quake 3? I would rather a good emulator running Fire Emblem 3,4,5
and tales of phantasia.
So ya unless they change the 200Mhz to something more like 400/500 it will not get my $$

Prophet posted on Aug 20 2005 at 11:48 AM said:
At this time, I'm using NDS & PSP. PSP has largely replaced my GP32 for emus. So I only play GP32 a little now, for homebrew and Her Knights mainly. :) My Zodiac is nearly dead, very unstable, so I really only use for ebooks a little now, when it's not crashing. I think once GPX2 dev gets rolling, I may sell one of my PSP's and make the GPX2 my primary homebrew/emu device. We'll see...

"PSP is a helluva good emulation device. You'd be amazed if you saw the NeoGeo CD emulator (ported by YoyoFr). It's just fantastic."

Ahh yes Yoyo... The GP32 scene took a huge bust in the chops the day he left :(

I am suprised that you don't use the GP32 much for emus. The newest Genesis emu is great and with the screen resolution fitting so well, the nice stick, and no ghosting it is better than the one on the PSP in my opinion. You get used to the screen not being as bright after playing it for awhile. Plus you have Atari 400, Lynx, and more that aren't on the PSP yet. I mostly use the SNES emu on the PSP because there is not a decent one for the GP32.

Actually the screen on the GPx2 is the same exact part used on the BLU+ which has SLIGHTLY better contrast than the BLU.

Everything on the GPx2 hinges on being able to harness that second core. If not possible then it won't be much better than the GP32 because of the slow 200 MHz clock speed. If it is possible than we may see some great stuff and even near perfect SNES, NeoGeo and even GBA.

C B Felterbush posted on Aug 21 2005 at 05:16 AM said:
Angle has the best idea strike a deal with microsoft..

What an ...interesting idea, but perhaps its better than say, a game company, with a large back catalogue of games, that currently make 0% profit, in a market that will not compete with their other ventures, and maybe want to step into the handheld market as a leader, rather than a follower. Or maybe just want to make a bit of a name in the west.

Oddly I think that the GPX2 is suited better to this :)

Bill Gates & M$ have way too much ego to partner up with Game Park. If they do enter the handheld business, they'll do their own hardware.

and tales of phantasia.

A-f'ing men to that. I'll take all the 8bit and 16bit games over Quake 3 any day.

DaveC posted on Aug 21 2005 at 07:45 AM said:
I am suprised that you don't use the GP32 much for emus. The newest Genesis emu is great and with the screen resolution fitting so well, the nice stick, and no ghosting it is better than the one on the PSP in my opinion. You get used to the screen not being as bright after playing it for awhile. Plus you have Atari 400, Lynx, and more that aren't on the PSP yet. I mostly use the SNES emu on the PSP because there is not a decent one for the GP32.

Actually the screen on the GPx2 is the same exact part used on the BLU+ which has SLIGHTLY better contrast than the BLU.

Everything on the GPx2 hinges on being able to harness that second core. If not possible then it won't be much better than the GP32 because of the slow 200 MHz clock speed. If it is possible than we may see some great stuff and even near perfect SNES, NeoGeo and even GBA.

Emus generally are better on PSP: NeoGeo, PCE, NES, SNES.

Genesis is still better on GP32 I agree. Reesy really kicked ass with DrMD. And I do sometimes use Atari 800 on GP32 because it was first computer.

At this point I think we're all just crossing our fingers that the GPX2 can be fully programmed across both CPU's. :) If it can, then we have something similar to the PSP only with much more RAM, better controls and screen for emulation, and an open source stance with Linux as OS. If it can't then... we still have a very good system, better than GP32 and better than Zodiac (for emulation and games). Which isn't so bad.

Prophet posted on Aug 21 2005 at 02:18 PM said:
and tales of phantasia.

A-f'ing men to that. I'll take all the 8bit and 16bit games over Quake 3 any day.

I want quake3. I'm buying a GPX2, but I want quake3. I don't think quake3 in its current state is suitable for any handheld, and on its own quake3 is just not enough of a draw, but when I start seeing the pak files come out, and the interface sorted. I will begin to have a slight pang of jealousy, a void that I suspect will be filled with with lots of GPX2 goodness.:)

This to me seem like a question worth pondering. It is gamepark's goal to put a full and playable version of quake 3 on the XGP and we saw game ports like doom and such on the GP32.

Is it a possibility that the XGP will take the homebrew game and game port preference while the GPx2 takes the 8-16 bit emulation??

It might split in that way, we might see devs trying to bring ports of many of the more poplular games and creat their own games for the XGP while the gpx2 takes the emulation side.

<_<

Back