Xgp Hardware:.

NoidZ

Mind the world, need for panic
Website
Visit site
Today I saw the XGP specs, but they are much lower than the GP2X's.

:XGP: :gp2x:
266mHz 2x 200mHz

maybe a stupid question, but is the dual core not in dissadvantage cause it's a dual core? Or is this just as fast as a 400mHz single core?

Grtz,
NoidZ

...and by the way, to now no GP2X hasn't reported not to run with 266Mhz with the first core (or the other way round: every GP2X seems to be overclockable to 266Mhz atm), so it seems that it still better than the XGP (beside the OpenGL-support, but we'll have to wait and see...)

QuasaR posted on Apr 4 2006 at 07:56 AM said:
...and by the way, to now no GP2X hasn't reported not to run with 266Mhz with the first core (or the other way round: every GP2X seems to be overclockable to 266Mhz atm), so it seems that it still better than the XGP (beside the OpenGL-support, but we'll have to wait and see...)

Sorry to burst your bubble, but my gp2x overheats and crashes when I overclock to 266 and try to run cpu-intensive apps like gngeo. But I'm going to fix this soon with a heatsink.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't know, but since only the first processor of the GP2X seems to be used (that's what the MAME readme says) (and that can be overclocked to 300mHz) then with both processors could be overclocked together upto 600 mHz!!! but that doesn't seem to work that well for now.

But is 500mHz (with both the processors) possible, or am I saying something stupid now?

and could it be possible to just use software render for for example psx games. The games are 320x240 original size, so they are supersharp on the gp2x's screen.

Now I don't know that much about how these genius persons (cause that's what they are) can do that, but is that a possiblility?

Claym99 posted on Apr 4 2006 at 12:38 PM said:
If we can overclock the GP2X, don't you think the XGP will be able to do the same thing?...

Depends... the GP2X CPU is not used to it's fullest when running at 200mhz (some say it is underclocked by default, but there has been a debate if this is really true, or a mistunderstanding of the MagicEyes documentation).
While the XGP CPU seems to run at the maximum specs. of a ARM920t, which will probably translate to a much worse overclock ability (probably only up to the same level the GP2X can reach -> approximatly between 266 and 300)

But to be fair: Theoreticly the dual core CPU could be a lot faster than the XGP CPU, but up until now not a single game (I think) uses the second CPU at all.
This is because the second CPU has quite a few limitations and is hard to program in a useful way.
So right now the GP2X is really only a 'single core' 200mhz CPU :p
(The GPH movie player uses the second core though).

And last but not least, with a working 3D accelerator the XGP will be a lot faster on 3D games. I think it will be probably fair to compare it speedwise to a Dreamcast (-> 3D acc. plus a 200mhz MIPS cpu). But don't get your hopes up too high as there will probably not be as good games as on the dreamcast due to the lack of developers for a unknown handheld like the xgp.

QuasaR posted on Apr 4 2006 at 12:56 PM said:
...and by the way, to now no GP2X hasn't reported not to run with 266Mhz with the first core (or the other way round: every GP2X seems to be overclockable to 266Mhz atm)
Quite a few have been reported to not run at 266mhz. I think just about all can do 250mhz though.

NoidZ posted on Apr 4 2006 at 01:53 PM said:
Don't know, but since only the first processor of the GP2X seems to be used (that's what the MAME readme says) (and that can be overclocked to 300mHz) then with both processors could be overclocked together upto 600 mHz!!! but that doesn't seem to work that well for now.

But is 500mHz (with both the processors) possible, or am I saying something stupid now?
2 processors running at 200mhz+ are just 2 processors running at 200mhz+, and can't be compared to one processor running at some speed.

Julius posted on Apr 4 2006 at 02:10 PM said:
While the XGP CPU seems to run at the maximum specs. of a ARM920t, which will probably translate to a much worse overclock ability (probably only up to the same level the GP2X can reach -> approximatly between 266 and 300)
The maximum spec of a 920t is at least 533mhz (might even be faster models available these days). If the version used in the XGP will be 266mhz then it's almost certainly a higher spec version than used in the GP2X.

I've a good analogy for this..

2 CPUs is like two lane road; it doesn't amke the road any shorter or travel any faster, but it lets two cars go at once. Running 1 CPU at 200, or 2 at 200.. one application is still going at 200. If it manages to use both, it can get 2 at 200.. but its not 400 for one car. More to point, using both lanes at once takes some negotiation between cars which is an overhead...

jeff

So it's something like it can move twice at much data in the same time.
Actualy, that makes sense :D

But has the GP2X ever used the 2 processors in the time it was released untill now?

NoidZ posted on Apr 4 2006 at 09:58 AM said:
But has the GP2X ever used the 2 processors in the time it was released untill now?
"the GP2X" doesn't use the second processor, but various software programs do. More will over time as people get comfortable with using it. It would have been much easier for development if we had 1 faster processor instead of 2 slower ones, but that's life.

Yeah, I thought so... But hey, it'll be only a matter of time till they figured it out. And I believe that time is sooner then we all expect :)

I'll be waiting for it :)

skeezix posted on Apr 4 2006 at 08:49 AM said:
I've a good analogy for this..

2 CPUs is like two lane road; it doesn't amke the road any shorter or travel any faster, but it lets two cars go at once. Running 1 CPU at 200, or 2 at 200.. one application is still going at 200. If it manages to use both, it can get 2 at 200.. but its not 400 for one car. More to point, using both lanes at once takes some negotiation between cars which is an overhead...

jeff

Hehe. Skeezix has told this one many times. :D

I think it will be probably fair to compare it speedwise to a Dreamcast (-> 3D acc. plus a 200mhz MIPS cpu).

The Dreamcast CPU isn't MIPS-architecture ... it's SuperH-architecture (32bit RISC-architecture + 128bit FPU + VPU). It's the SH4 and therefore a successor of the saturns SH2.

therefore the Dreamcast is much more than the standard 200mhz processor and nowhere near compareable with a ARM9 which is much simpler, has no FPU and in fact no VPU.

The next thing is, that the 3D chip the dreamcast uses is a PowerVR 2 chip. The main feature of this chips is the high bandwith efficiency because of the implemented tile based renderer.
I searched for information regarding the MagicEyes VRender3D, but i coudn't find anything about the architecture of the 3D-part.

There is only one hardware issue that I'm concerned about with the XGP: Will it feature real analogue or will it be a digital 8-way stick (like the GP2X)?

I really hope that it's analogue. It would allow programmers to choose the best bias (and throw distance) for their games and not some permanently engineered diagonal one.

As for the XGP vs PSP debate, I think it's time that sony has some direct competition.

Back