GP32 Xm-tracker For Gp32 In Dev?

firestARTer

Still Fresh
Is there a MOD / XM tracker in developement by somebody? Or maybe some kind of 'gp32' tracker which uses it's sound capabilities?
I would love to make music with the gp32 but i can't find a advanced software for this.

thanks alot

firestARTer :rolleyes:

http://www.firestarter-music.de

Is there a MOD / XM tracker in developement by somebody? Or maybe some kind of 'gp32' tracker which uses it's sound capabilities?
I would love to make music with the gp32 but i can't find a advanced software for this.

thanks alot

hi!
i think there is no tracker available for gp32. There was a app called gpMuzak (or something similar :rolleyes: ) similar style of fruity loops.
You could have a look into gp32x audio&video apps

PS:Cool micromusic releases firestARTer ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
@kmkzk

Thank you! Beside the Gameboy stuff (lsdj) i'd really like to make music with the gp32 while riding in a train :)
So i guess there is nobody out there who is developing a tracker or something similar :-(
gpMuzak is not really what i am searching for. So maybe i got to try to develope some stuff myself, even if my programming skills are really basic in C at the moment.

@rlyeh

Hey thanks for the info. Of course i know about the hardsid. I am myself the developer of the unfinished project SIDsyn ( http://www.sidsyn.com ).
At the moment i am working on a Midi-expansion for 'prophet64' ..if you know it. ( http://www.prophet64.com )

greetinX
firestARTer :)

Hi all,

I heard a long time ago that someone was making an amiga style tracker app but no more since. I'm still working on gpmuzic but now we have the excellent new version of Tobi Drummer I've taken it in a slightly different direction, no point trying to do what someone else has done better.....

anyway, mods are rubbish... ;) (j/k I promise)

wub.

I always wanted to buy nanoloop for GBA, something similar would be great.

So maybe i got to try to develope some stuff myself, even if my programming skills are really basic in C at the moment.

I am sure a bunch of people would love to help you with that, just have a try.

I would also really love a mod compatible tracker for the GP32
.. a lot of open source tracker projects are available for windows,
maybe someone could port one of them ??

I did a MIDI tracker for DOS (at port 330) when I was younger.

Guess mixing those sources, writting a save_pattern_to_disk_in_mod() function, and a CHN player could do the job easily.

Dunno if those DOS srcs will be fully portable and work as desired nowadays but I can send the srcs to someone wanting to pick up the project.

Take care

thanks alot

This'd be cool, I'd like that too.

PS. FirestARTer, do you live on micromusic.net? :3 I've heard your stuff before, v.nice.

Hey thanks for the info. Of course i know about the hardsid. I am myself the developer of the unfinished project SIDsyn ( http://www.sidsyn.com ).

Cool...
I recently surfed on that SID-synth page, while seaching for some sid-related stuff.

You gotta love that sound B)

EDIT:

Wow... Just listen to some of your music, and I really like it :)

You are aware that the GP32 doesn't contain any sound-chip in the same way a C64 or a gameboy does. So you propably won't be able to generate any "unique" sound like that you have accomplished on the tracks you've allready made.

That being said... Somebody did make a soft-synth for the GP32 (for some compo i think), but I have no idea on how that works. I don't think it's combined with a sequencer, so it's actually pretty useless.

...Or you could allways make a drum-track using TOBI-drumman... (I know I'm planning to) :)

I did a MIDI tracker for DOS (at port 330) when I was younger.

Guess mixing those sources, writting a save_pattern_to_disk_in_mod() function, and a CHN player could do the job easily.

Dunno if those DOS srcs will be fully portable and work as desired nowadays but I can send the srcs to someone wanting to pick up the project.

Take care

I would be interrested just to check it.
A Midi-tracker for GP32 doesn't sound too bad either :)
And it doesn't have to be MOD. Of course any other possibillity to make cool music in tracker style is good for me.

@Ringo

I know about the sound capabilities. And i think it's a shame. An own soundchip with some nice characteristics would be the dot on the i.
I don't expect any chipstyle sounds.

@Rik

Yep, i'm the micromusic firestARTer. Thanks for any music feedback :)

I looked into to that software-synth I mentioned, and apparently the programmer of it managed to hook up an Amiga MIDI interface to his Gp32. Given your prior projects something like this seems right down your alley :)

But it seems the programmers homepage is closed. I don't know if it's possible to get in touch with him somehow.

Anyway... PBSynth can be downloaded at PBSynth at www.gp32x.de

EDIT:
The coder is CHN and he is actually *missing* :blink:
The guys working on Giana's Returns has also been set back by this - sounds serious.

I looked into to that software-synth I mentioned, and apparently the programmer of it managed to hook up an Amiga MIDI interface to his Gp32. Given your prior projects something like this seems right down your alley :)

But it seems the programmers homepage is closed. I don't know if it's possible to get in touch with him somehow.

Anyway... PBSynth can be downloaded at PBSynth at www.gp32x.de

EDIT:
The coder is CHN and he is actually *missing* :blink:
The guys working on Giana's Returns has also been set back by this - sounds serious.

I checked that tool, and it sounds cool. As a virtual analogue synthesizer.
but it's definitely not a music making tool with a sequencer, and for this useless to make music in the train ;-)

I saved the schematics of the AMIGA-Midi Module, if somebody is interrested to hook up Midi. Maybe CHN will return one day :)

The link I supplyed was a XM soundtracker and as far as I could see the mixingroutine was the only asm (did have a couple of C mixing routines also)...
It should be possible to make a GP32 version of this... it has all the gods, see screenshot http://www.hitsquad.com/smm/programs/Sound...creenshot.shtml

OK, GP32 screen 320*240 so the GUI has to be changed... but I still think it's possible...

Also read 64 MB RAM recommended but it has to depend of the quality/size of your samples... can not think this soundtracker uses that much for the program...
Can't some developer just have look at it and tell if it's possible or not...

Can't some developer just have look at it and tell if it's possible or not...

The backend *may* be portable, but there are loads of dependencies for the frontend (which is actually the most important thing - the backend is less more than an ordinary mod player):

Code:
ck@lacuna:~> ldd /usr/bin/soundtracker                                                       8:38PM 
                libgnomeui.so.32 => /usr/lib/libgnomeui.so.32 (0x4001f000)
        libart_lgpl.so.2 => /usr/lib/libart_lgpl.so.2 (0x400fe000)
        libgdk_imlib.so.1 => /usr/lib/libgdk_imlib.so.1 (0x4010e000)
        libSM.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libSM.so.6 (0x40132000)
        libICE.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libICE.so.6 (0x4013b000)
        libgtk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgtk-1.2.so.0 (0x40152000)
        libgdk-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgdk-1.2.so.0 (0x4029a000)
        libgmodule-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgmodule-1.2.so.0 (0x402d2000)
        libdl.so.2 => /lib/tls/libdl.so.2 (0x402d6000)
        libXi.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXi.so.6 (0x402d9000)
        libXext.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libXext.so.6 (0x402e1000)
        libX11.so.6 => /usr/X11R6/lib/libX11.so.6 (0x402ef000)
        libgnome.so.32 => /usr/lib/libgnome.so.32 (0x403b6000)
        libgnomesupport.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgnomesupport.so.0 (0x403cf000)
        libesd.so.0 => /usr/lib/libesd.so.0 (0x403d5000)
        libaudiofile.so.0 => /usr/lib/libaudiofile.so.0 (0x403dd000)
        libm.so.6 => /lib/tls/libm.so.6 (0x40401000)
        libdb3.so.3 => /usr/lib/libdb3.so.3 (0x40423000)
        libglib-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libglib-1.2.so.0 (0x404cd000)
        libgthread-1.2.so.0 => /usr/lib/libgthread-1.2.so.0 (0x404ee000)
        libpthread.so.0 => /lib/tls/libpthread.so.0 (0x404f2000)
        libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 => /usr/lib/libgdk_pixbuf.so.2 (0x40501000)
        libsndfile.so.1 => /usr/lib/libsndfile.so.1 (0x40516000)
        libasound.so.2 => /usr/lib/libasound.so.2 (0x40569000)
        libc.so.6 => /lib/tls/libc.so.6 (0x40618000)
        libpopt.so.0 => /lib/libpopt.so.0 (0x4074c000)
        libz.so.1 => /usr/lib/libz.so.1 (0x40755000)
        /lib/ld-linux.so.2 => /lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0x40000000)

Threading, GTK/GDK/Gnome, sound libs, esound.... I don't think it's feasible to port this. Rewriting would be easier.

@ AlexW

Given the requirements of a tracker like that (not only considering the resolution), it might be an idea to look towards the Amiga-scene for a tracker to port.

Ofcause because the GP32 is able to match an Amiga's spec's, but also because we've seem a few Amiga port to the gp32_console allready (Gravity Force and Bob the Amazing Lemon)... So it must be possible :)

Haven't got an actual suggestion for a tracker with the source available, but just scratching the surface I did find a few free ones. One of them (it's called AHX ) would actually be ideal, since it actually uses software-synth instead of waves. Ideal for chip-music.

No apparent source though, but it haven't been worked on since 1998.

Don, OK thanks...

Amiga trackers are usually written ASM (had a couple of Amigas, actually still got a A1200 030@40Mhz) and although some sources (THX for example, C64 like tracker 4 channel chipsounds) exists it would be easier to write from scratch I think...

The hard bit is already done (the actual modplayer) if some writes a good interface and a editor (could be very very basic to start with) and combines the modplayer with some editor GUI you have a tracker...
Actually the hard bit might be the GUI...

A well... I want one... might start some programming myself again... trouble is that I used to program in Pascal...

Amiga trackers are usually written ASM (had a couple of Amigas, actually still got a A1200 030@40Mhz) and although some sources (THX for example, C64 like tracker 4 channel chipsounds) exists it would be easier to write from scratch I think...

Fair enough :)

I can't claim to have any knowledge of what does or doesn't make it possible to port from one system to another. I was just thinking out loud.

Back