Yet Another N00b Question....about Sdl

mrdremel

Website
Visit site
What is the SDL and what does it do? Do I need it to run a number of apps? And how do I install it?

I've had my 2x for a month now and am very happy with all the cool emulators, but see people mention the SDL every now and then.

Simple,

You only need SDL if your a developer. It's is a collection of software used for graphics, audio, input etc. etc.

Some of the very early apps on the GP2X added extra SDL libs to the ones installed on the GP2X but these days that is very uncommon (most apps staticly link whatever they need into the main executable).

In simple terms if it runs do not mess with SDL on the GP2X, it will NOT make things any better or faster.

I was thinking the presentation page of the libsdl website was quite explicit :

[Simple DirectMedia Layer is a cross-platform multimedia library designed to provide low level access to audio, keyboard, mouse, joystick, 3D hardware via OpenGL, and 2D video framebuffer. It is used by MPEG playback software, emulators, and many popular games, including the award winning Linux port of "Civilization: Call To Power.]

Maybe this link would have been better : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simple_DirectMedia_Layer

Back