GP2X Your Development Environment For Mac Os X

Volt

Still Fresh
So I'm going out of my mind here.

When I got my GP2X I followed the instructions on the Wiki, downloaded the nice devkitARM Mac package and installed it. For some reason, SDL_ttf never worked, but I was cool with it.

Now I need it. And I can't figure out how to get it to work. Any kind of hackery I try just serves to frustrate me more.

The package hasn't been updated since 2005, and I can't get the Open2X toolchain to compile from source since it tries to compile open2x-toolchain/build/arm-open2x-linux/gcc-4.1.1-glibc-2.3.6/binutils-2.16.1/gprof/flat_bl.m and fails.

So my question is this: Are there any Mac users in the house? And my second question is (I have two!): What toolchain do you use? Does everything work properly?

Okay. That was three questions. I'm on a G4 running Tiger, if that might affect your recommendation.

God I hope I get a response. I don't want to have to find a Windows box every time I test my builds.

I use MacOS and have been trying to use open2x for a long time ago. Maybe I can start trying again & we can compare notes. One option of course is to use virtualbox and install ubuntu sort of like andlinux. Open2x would work fine there.

Edit: What about qemu http://www.kju-app.org/ does that work on G4? That may be better since you could emulate an arm machine and then you could even test the app.

It looks like VirtualBox runs on Macs, though I haven't tried it personally on one. I'd install it and any Linux distro you want, then install the Open2X toolchain.

edit: oops, a G4 probably won't allow use of virtualbox, nevermind.

I was afraid I'd have to use another OS. I have Virtual PC which was at least faster than qemu a few years ago, but it's kinda painful to run Windows 2000, for instance. I was hoping for something native. Hopefully Ubuntu will run better than Win2K though I'm not too confident.

Thanks.

Volt said:
I was afraid I'd have to use another OS. I have Virtual PC which was at least faster than qemu a few years ago, but it's kinda painful to run Windows 2000, for instance. I was hoping for something native. Hopefully Ubuntu will run better than Win2K though I'm not too confident.

Thanks.
You can try ubuntu without an x-server and export the DISPLAY to the mac's xserver. that might make things look more native.
And what about trying qemu with user emulation instead of system emulation?

When I try to follow http://wiki.open2x.org/open2x/wiki/index.php?title=Toolchain
when I type ./open2x-gp2x-apps.sh
lots of things ge done downloading , unzipping compiline until I reach

CODE
mkdir ./binutils
Configuring in binutils
creating cache ./config.cache
checking for Cygwin environment... no
checking for mingw32 environment... no
checking host system type... i686-host_apple-darwin9.5.0
checking target system type... arm-open2x-linux-gnu
checking build system type... i686-host_apple-darwin9.5.0
checking for strerror in -lcposix... no
checking for a BSD compatible install... /usr/bin/install -c
checking whether build environment is sane... yes
checking whether make sets ${MAKE}... yes
checking for working aclocal-1.4... missing
checking for working autoconf... found
checking for working automake-1.4... missing
checking for working autoheader... found
checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) is a cross-compiler... no
checking whether we are using GNU C... yes
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ld used by GCC... ld
checking if the linker (ld) is GNU ld... no
checking for ld option to reload object files... -r
checking for BSD-compatible nm... nm
checking whether ln -s works... yes
checking how to recognise dependant libraries... file_magic Mach-O dynamically linked shared library
checking for object suffix... o
checking for executable suffix... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
.dSYM
checking for ranlib... ranlib
checking for strip... strip
updating cache ./config.cache
loading cache ./config.cache within ltconfig
checking for objdir... .libs
checking for gcc option to produce PIC... -DPIC
checking if gcc PIC flag -DPIC works... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
yes
checking if gcc static flag -static works... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
no
finding the maximum length of command line arguments... 98305
checking if gcc supports -c -o file.o... yes
checking if gcc supports -fno-rtti -fno-exceptions ... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
no
checking whether the linker (ld) supports shared libraries... no
checking how to hardcode library paths into programs... unsupported
checking whether stripping libraries is possible... no
checking dynamic linker characteristics... darwin9.5.0 dyld
checking command to parse nm output... rm: conftest.dSYM: is a directory
ok
checking if libtool supports shared libraries... no
checking whether to build shared libraries... no
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
checking whether to build static libraries... yes
creating libtool
updating cache ./config.cache
loading cache ./config.cache
checking for gcc... (cached) gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc -g -O2 ) works... no
configure: error: installation or configuration problem: C compiler cannot create executables.
make: *** [configure-binutils] Error 1
Done - Please check the logs to see if your build was a sucess.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
pcklee123 said:
Any suggestions?

Well, you actually seem to be running a newer Intel Mac, so the best solution is indeed a native linux environment under VirtualBox, I bet.

Senor Quack said:
Well, you actually seem to be running a newer Intel Mac, so the best solution is indeed a native linux environment under VirtualBox, I bet.
I am using Intel mac. But, this doesn't help volt.I would suspect that a native open2x compilation for Macos would be the best solution for him and other Mac users.

Another suggestion for volt, have you tried downloading the precompiled open2x libs and overwriting your libs? This might work if your gcc is the same as the open2x one.

I am now trying to install ubuntu in virtualbox now. will report back soon.

pcklee123 said:
You can try ubuntu without an x-server and export the DISPLAY to the mac's xserver. that might make things look more native.
And what about trying qemu with user emulation instead of system emulation?
Sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar. These had never even crossed my mind. It took the entire day yesterday to install Xubuntu in Virtual PC, and it feels slower than Windows 2000. I'll have to try these.

Your error seems so strange. This is the error I get when I try to compile open2x. It happens pretty late in compilation.

One of the first things I tried was using both newer devkitGP2X libraries and open2x libraries, but couldn't get anything to compile. I was probably doing something wrong, but let me paste the errors anyway.

Wait! Just now I was going to paste the clash I was getting between stuff in libc.a and libpthread.a. Removing the "-lpthread" option in the Makefile I found didn't work, and I assumed removing "-lc" wouldn't work either. I have learned my lesson: Don't make assumptions. I just did it and it friggin' works. In retrospect this makes sense, since the shared library is probably on the damn GP2X anyway and devkitARM will link to it.

I feel so ashamed. Hopefully someone can learn from my mistakes.

It doesn't solve the open2x toolchain problem though, so maybe this thread isn't now useless.

Thanks for the help, even though my problem was my own damn stupidity. Heh. -_-

native: some of my problems are related to gmp.h and mpfr.h (need to copy them to /usr/local/include)
virtualbox: just got ubuntu installed now trying to mess with startup scripts to get the output on mac x-server like in andlinux.
make sure to have libc6-dev,texinfo,libgmp3-dev,libmpfr-dev installed(not installed by default in xubuntu)

My final setup is Ubuntu on virtual box. Gave up on native compilation of the toolchain.

Back