Your Favorite Firmware And Config

slubmans is great but i wish i could personalise it a bit more. the browny colours arent really my thing

tattooman posted on May 29 2005 at 10:13 PM said:
Sure, I would like to take a look at the source code. However, you never answered my other question, what firmware are you using?

I'm not sure I understand the question. As I said, I made the firmware myself. A firmware is a 32K BIOS linked to a standard fxe file which is your launcher. Look for a program called gpfw; this can be used to split the bios from existing firmwares and to link a bios to an fxe file. So I wrote a program to first display the splash screen, play the sound of a cow mooing and wait for someone to press a button, then launch either YAFL, the European firmware or a program specified in file called "boot.ini" in the root directory of the SMC. To include things like YAFL, you need to turn it into a gxb file first (look for a program called unfxe), then turn that into an array within your program. Here's some less than tidy source. Click.

There are easier ways to create a custom firmware but if you want things like a cow going moo, you need to code it yourself.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use GPBios set to boot straight to Wind-ups on my main smc which has a lot of different bits and pieces on it. I'm currently using the background with 3D Homer. :)
I need to sort out some of my icons though. They are a bit bland at the moment.

I have Yafl (Mario theme) as the secondary firmware on the same smc so that I can quickly try out new homebrew games before deciding whether to keep them and add an icon for it on the Wind-ups desktop. Slubmans is the third but that was mainly just to try it out, I've not used it much.

The Korean firmware is also on there by default but it isn't set up right and never shows up whats on the card so I've never used it. Squidge and DarkFader's PCLink programs are on the left and right shoulder buttons again by default.

My second smc card boots straight to the MAME launcher and again I have Yafl as the secondary firmware incase I want to add anything else on there as there is still space available.

Blah posted on May 29 2005 at 10:38 PM said:
Someday I'll make a special one for myself with password protection. :ph34r:

I considered that but could you really be arsed fannying around, trying to put a password in, everytime you just wanted five minutes of Lacuna or whatever?

chris posted on May 29 2005 at 11:00 PM said:
Blah posted on May 29 2005 at 10:38 PM said:
Someday I'll make a special one for myself with password protection. :ph34r:

I considered that but could you really be arsed fannying around, trying to put a password in, everytime you just wanted five minutes of Lacuna or whatever?

How bout a combination of three button presses?

Chris, thank you that's all I was asking is the details of how you did that and thanks for the source.

Radio, sounds like a cool config you have there as well!!!

some of you might know (if you read the magazine) that I use GPOSX, It is a little bit slower than yafl but I find it very usefull, the icons on the bottom are very userfriendly and allow you to acces your files quickly. Also you can now see your bg pic better because there aren't any icons on top of it.

I use an older Aquafish that loads YAFL at startup on most of my SMC's and have one SMC loading the Euro firmware for commercial and Fenix games. I use the Slubman explorer and keep a copy of pc-link.fxe on all my cards but I always use my cardreader.

I have used Wind-ups and have tried Slubman's firmware but I prefer YAFL. Slubman is a bit too seventies for me and with YAFL I can have way more files on my 'desktop' than with Wind-ups (because you can scroll through screens and put files in different categories) and I don't have to make all those shortcuts manually.

I do change the internal names of all the programs I use so the shortcuts have the names I want them to have and I replace all the icons I dislike. At the moment I use the retro-theme I made for YAFL but most of the time I use the knolls-theme.

I use a custom made firmware that boots either Wind-Ups, Dark Fader's PC link, PhoDrive or an external firmware on the SMC..
I can't post any pictures right now as I don't have access to geepee

Zap posted on May 30 2005 at 11:46 AM said:
I use a custom made firmware that boots either Wind-Ups, Dark Fader's PC link, PhoDrive or an external firmware on the SMC..
I can't post any pictures right now as I don't have access to geepee

Please share screen shots when you get the chance and how you created it would be cool.

I probably have the oddest set up:

Mr Spiv's MF2, which boots into Pacrom, which has Windups 1.0 set to auto-run. Here's one of my favorite backgrounds:

WINDS2.gif

^ it looks nicer with all my icons arranged :)

Attachments

• WINDS2.gif
    WINDS2.gif
    14 KB · Views: 135
ive got the yellow korean fw, and i boot pacrom, which boots another pacrom, which boots the first pacrom again, which boots the second pacrom again.

Its an infinite loop.

I'm using slubmans firmware with autoboot set to boot up ashbans launcher, with this as background;
gp32.gif

and this playing in the background.

trooper posted on May 31 2005 at 09:49 AM said:
I use slubmans firmware on one unit and pacrom on the other.

Both are fast and effecient (no thrills) and get the job done.

Trooper

Mr Spivs Multi f/w

After reading all of your response and trying a few more firmwares, I ahve found that GPBIOS works great for me, its clean boots stright to yafl, quick clean and not too configerable, thanks every one for your feed back!!!

Back