Your Holy gaming Grail for Pandora 2..?

well how bout this... release comes with android as long as the device works and is a solid product.... then if linux gets solid enough support or enough requests that it then gets official support... holding off on a product launch (I'm guessing the main fear here) because the OS is not up to snuff sounds bad. Re-releasing a linux version of the same hardware would be nothing but good publicity right?

keep in mind the official vs unofficial developers would only make a difference of a few people... at least compared to huge companies

don't hold back the chance or the options but if both are ready for release... then give the choice as an option at least or bundle both.. but I saw too many "this is what we're waiting on now ... " the more of these you can eliminate the better... especially in something as competitive as mobile device specs

I can only imagine how the pandora would have flipped the market if it was released in that first january after going pre-order... there was literally nothing even close to it yet in device specs... and there wasn't another one for quite some time after either. But when it was shipping it was already behind slightly, now it almost seems old in comparison.

I still think it comes down to manpower vs release timeframe, the OS developers won't have the luxury of a floating 2 month timeframe that strings along for 2 years or more, the hardware or the most complex parts could (in theory) already be 100% done

and if the manufacturer is handing you something that can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time to release (one of the actual official bullet points from android) then why not use that

EDIT: and a supporting example.... I started talking to JXD when they only had a prototype of the JXD S601... that was a little under 2 months ago... I know they're a bigger company... but that's the kind of thing I'm talking about.

Last edited by a moderator:
well how bout this... release comes with android as long as the device works and is a solid product.... then if linux gets solid enough support or enough requests that it then gets official support... holding off on a product launch (I'm guessing the main fear here) because the OS is not up to snuff sounds bad. Re-releasing a linux version of the same hardware would be nothing but good publicity right?

don't hold back the chance or the options but if both are ready for release then release the choice as an option at least or bundle both..

I still think it comes down to manpower vs release timeframe, the OS developers won't have the luxury of a floating 2 month timeframe that strings along for 2 years or more

and if the manufacturer is handing you something that can SIGNIFICANTLY reduce your time to release (one of the actual official bullet points from android) then why not use that
I still don't think you are understanding. No one is suggesting holding back anything for any reason. I don't even have any idea where that came from. Unless Craig chooses a SoC that specifically does not have Linux support (which appears to be a dwindling number as Linux support actually seems to be INCREASING (which is probably greatly in thanks to Google asserting some open source muscle, I'm sure)) then the current Angstrom OS (or whatever we have in the year or two before a P2 is released) is almost guaranteed to run on it with not a lot of tweaking, a reconfigure and recompile to account for different drivers, some different values for the LEDs and keyboard matrix. We're talking weeks at most, not the months long work that it was getting the first release done, and all the work would be tested against prototype boards anyway, so still lots of time. All of that means nothing, however, unless OPT is willing to put their official seal on, to demonstrate it and mention the features on their website and in official press releases. The situation would be nearly identical without official support as it is to how you currently feel about Android.

You say "how about this..." but it isn't your position to make any such compromise. Craig is the one who is mysteriously pessimistic about the future of Linux; Craig is the one vague about official support for non-Android OS's. The only person who can put anyone's mind at ease is Craig. All he has to do is say "yes, we will continue to support Angstrom in so far as it runs on future devices" whether it be primary or just heavily advertised as an alternative, I don't care anymore, but that will at least clear up the ambiguity of his stance on running non-Android.

If, however, he comes back and says that Android will be the only thing that OPT will ever show any support for, then it guarantees Linux on the P2 will stagnate at best, just as Android has on the P1.

Of course, if he also makes radical design changes like removing the keyboard, that, to me, makes it no longer a Pandora in spirit. At which point in time, no longer having one of the features that lent itself so perfectly to a full desktop OS there might not be any interest in a full desktop OS at all, so the whole debate is moot.

we're all arm-chair engineering this crap anyway... but the "how bout this" was meant as "how bout this hypothetical situation"

I see people on here act like they have more pull in what goes down than others... we're all just customers

while the keyboard doesn't mean whole a lot to me.. I would be deeply upset if it went away.

Arm chair engineer or not, even the couch potato will tell you running towards your opponents goal isn't going to score you any touchdowns. Or whatever sports metaphor you want to use.

the goal of filling one niche instead of another one you have already filled?

EDIT: fixed

No, the goal of not abandoning the market that you've already collected at practically no cost while trying to simultaneously capture another, if you want to put it in terms like that.

who says they're done with the first one? It seems plenty fast for a linux computer to me. I've seen plenty of rebuttals saying that not much other than emulators even scratching what the pandora is capable of doing.

and they still got a ton of onhand stock of the current SoC.. unless they sold them all.

On the Pandora 2! Christ, are we really going around in circles here?

A future device, a year or three from now, when the needs of the community will be advancing and really will be looking for something better, and the latent market that doesn't know it even wants a palm top linux gaming computer yet comes of age. Craig has cryptically implied that the P2 will not get any official Linux support, and further implied that huge changes are in the works that scare me into thinking that what he has in mind will be so radically different as to not be considered even a spiritual successor to the device I currently hold in my hands. All I (and I believe Exophase and others) want is for Craig to say something along the lines of "yes, we will support Linux on the Pandora 2" or "No, Android will be the only thing that gets our seal of approval".

You were talking about going after competitors goals.. filling niches in the market is directly relevant to that... quit getting your panties in a bunch.

Well I think a comment like that is probably too soon to tell, and you guys would chastise him more than you guys already have... or hold him to whatever he says.

Either way, those are the demands of a future that I don't think any of us could predict accurately. Craig only knows what Craig is thinking or how well he's actually doing. I've seen him say things like "there's things you are not taking into consideration" Things only he or only a select few would know.

I see people on here act like they have more pull in what goes down than others... we're all just customers

Huh? Who here is acting like they have pull?

Not everyone here is "just a customer" though, some people actually do contribute to the development of the device or majorly attract sales to it. People like notaz SHOULD have pull, even though I doubt they do.

I would respect anything notaz said as being truth or anyone else on this list

http://www.openpando...emid=20&lang=en

I'm just saying there's people out there that just try to come off as the "word of the community", or alternatively "word of the team" than others... I'm not going to point fingers at anyone

and I was saying that when the finger was being pointed at me

ANDROID said:

&

I'm just saying there's people out there that just try to come off as the "word of the community", or alternatively "word of the team" than others... I'm not going to point fingers at anyone

and I was saying that when the finger was being pointed at me
nobody was "pointing finger"(s) at you, and whoever these fictitious people are who embody those things you mentioned above, certainly have yet to post in this thread.., but one person who should definitely have some more pull(even though we all should have some pull, since we are paying money to them for Pandoras which is helping to keep the Pandora business running..) in all this is ED, surely he has the right to help shape the future of the Pandora. I know he is really busy, but I would like to hear what he thinks about all this...I bet he would at least take everyone's concerns to heart.

Yep, this thread needs more ED.

I am enjoying the banter between WizStan and Android though.

@Wiz this is clearly an issue close to your heart, I can read the emotion in your posts.

It would be interesting to see a poll on everyone else's views here, I think this is a pollable issue. Anyone want to take up the task?

Maybe a poll on stock-installed OS options

• Linux only

• Android only

• Linux/Android dual boot

• iOS (ha ha)

You can do it if you want to, quartercast. :p

I shy away from making polls myself, as in the Support section in the past some folks have mistaken the moderator "Staff" badge as meaning I'm an OpenPandora employee, so I wouldn't want to inadvertently create confusion or uproar that way. :p

We had this poll for Pandora a long time ago.. Craig himself started it. There wasn't a lot of support for "Android only."

@ Prometheus

With all this good discussion relating to the P2 , is it possible to setup a section for Pandora 2 Features/Wants or something to that affect (or even just Pandora 2). That way people can put all the threads fleshing out what the community wants for a P2 under this section. I imagine there will be separate threads to discuss the OS, Case, Hardware, Screen etc etc under this section. At the moment threads are popping up in at least 2 different places. It would be good to have 1 section only with all the threads on the P2 in there.

Now's a good time as even though a possible P2 might be several years away, it's clear a lot of discussion is needed to flesh out what people will want to see it have. No doubt polls will be required to settle some debates.

Yeah that might not be a bad idea, particularly so we can get a record of what everyone's thinking. Or more particularly, so we can get a record of Craig's comments ;)

@ Prometheus

With all this good discussion relating to the P2 , is it possible to setup a section for Pandora 2 Features/Wants or something to that affect (or even just Pandora 2). That way people can put all the threads fleshing out what the community wants for a P2 under this section. I imagine there will be separate threads to discuss the OS, Case, Hardware, Screen etc etc under this section. At the moment threads are popping up in at least 2 different places. It would be good to have 1 section only with all the threads on the P2 in there.

Now's a good time as even though a possible P2 might be several years away, it's clear a lot of discussion is needed to flesh out what people will want to see it have. No doubt polls will be required to settle some debates.
Unfortunately, that's not something that moderators can do! I must admit to not knowing why people think we can. :p (Really, "moderator" is just a fancy name for a forum janitor. :lol: )

Anyhow, this suggestion was made by someone else recently (quite literally a few days ago, funnily enough), and I put it where ED and Craig can see it.

That's all I can do on that front, I'm afraid.

Ok, no probs, we will have then wait and see if ED or Craig decide to do it.

It's good to hear there were others with the same thought.

to quartercast: I don't think a poll is necessary. As has already been pointed out by others earlier in this thread, everyone seems to be in agreement that Android is a good thing, and including it would be worthwhile, as long as Linux(desktop os) is given equal attention(and current design functionality isn't abandoned). Everyone besides Craigix, that is...

to vcoleiro: setting up a Pandora 2 section does sound like a good idea, getting Craigix to care about what shows up there sounds like an uphill battle.

to Prometheus: but janitors get all those shiny keys! :p

Back