Your Hometown

The world's longest running sitcom is filmed in and around my hometown. Apparently this season will be the last ever.
Oh, and Patrick Stewart was born in a nearby town (10 miles or so away).

Gren said:
The world's longest running sitcom is filmed in and around my hometown. Apparently this season will be the last ever.

What sitcom's that? Last of the Summer Wine? Is that still on?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nova said:
Gren said:

What sitcom's that? Last of the Summer Wine? Is that still on?!

New series in production apparently. Never really watched it though. My first thought was: you're from Springfield!? :p

XPANSiVE said:
Our Mayor:
szigr7.jpg

What the...?! Saskatoon Blades hockey jersey...that's just weird.

Brisbane's a city in a bay, protected by islands. A sailing ship ran ashore of Stradbroke Island in 1887. Its cargo was mostly whiskey, gunpowder and Dynamite... when local people quickly began looting this highly volatile wreckage, in the interest of preventing numerous deaths they decided to safely dispose of it by exploding it.

The explosion was heard 29km/18miles away. It upset the sand dune structure on the island, causing a permanent split down the middle. Stradbroke Island is now North Stradbroke Island and South Stradbroke Island.

Yep, we accidentally blew an island in half. :p

I live < 1 mile from where the Titanic was built (It wasn't our bloody fault! no refund!) , and where C.S. Lewis was born (as in 'The Lion the Witch and the Wardrobe').

Oh god... Im from Hartlepool we have a legend, here we go...

During the Napoleonic Wars a French ship was wrecked off the coast.

there was a fear of a French invasion of Britain and the possibility of French infiltrators and spies.

The fishermen kept a close watch on a French vessel as it struggled against the storm but when the vessel sunk they turned their attention to the wreckage washed ashore. Among the wreckage lay one wet and sorrowful looking survivor, the ship's pet monkey dressed to amuse in a military style uniform.

The (stupid) fishermen apparently questioned the monkey and held a beach-based trial. Unfamiliar with what a Frenchman looked like they came to the conclusion that this monkey was a French spy and should be sentenced to death. The unfortunate monkey found himself at the business end of a noose, yup... and so legend has it we hung the monkey! lol.

We`re much kinder to monkeys now tho. Infact our town mayor was a man in a monkey suit who promised us all banana`s, I shit you not... google it! :blink:

George Lucas comes from my hometown - went to the same high school I did, even. The film American Graffiti was filmed in my hometown.

Of course, this wasn't embarrassing until he started making the Star Wars prequels and that absurd 4th Indiana Jones flick *gag*.

My hometown claims Scottish roots. Glasgow is our name, and each year we have really bad gimmicky "Highland Games" that attract lunatics from all across the southern United States. Other than that though, it's a pretty normal/boring place.

chaosmage said:
George Lucas comes from my hometown - went to the same high school I did, even.  The film American Graffiti was filmed in my hometown.

Of course, this wasn't embarrassing until he started making the Star Wars prequels and that absurd 4th Indiana Jones flick *gag*.
he lives a few miles away from my hometown

Back