GP32 Z80 Core In Asm

QuasaR

Website
www.echtzeitroolen.de
Hi there!
Just a wicked idea, but: If there was a Z80 core written in ARM9 asm maybe we would see fullspeed Gamboy/Colour emulation and maybe Sega Genesis at fixed frameskip 1. I come from the Dreamcast scene and some months ago a 68000 core written in asm was released and this thing had a major impact on emulators on DC. Maybe someone can start such a project (best, with sourcecode released afterwards...).

Just my lunatic 0.02€...

QuasaR posted on Apr 28 2005 at 04:31 PM said:
Hi there!
Just a wicked idea, but: If there was a Z80 core written in ARM9 asm maybe we would see fullspeed Gamboy/Colour emulation and maybe Sega Genesis at fixed frameskip 1. I come from the Dreamcast scene and some months ago a 68000 core written in asm was released and this thing had a major impact on emulators on DC. Maybe someone can start such a project (best, with sourcecode released afterwards...).

Just my lunatic 0.02€...

There are already a Z80 and a 68000 core written in ARM9 ASM :D

Regards

Last edited by a moderator:
QuasaR posted on Apr 28 2005 at 03:31 PM said:
Hi there!

Just my lunatic 0.02€...

Ever hear of DrZ80 and Cyclone?

Tis a fair point though... I don't think we have a Speccy or GB emu that uses the ASM Z80 core. That said, fZX32 runs full speed without and fGB32 probably does too (just needs more stable speed/aut frameskip or something).

J(ohn)

Well, Ressy didn't finish the documentation on his DrZ80 yet. He said he would make it public as soon as he finished the documentation

Actually I've been wondering about the DrZ80 ASM cores lately.
MAME for both GP32 and GP2x make use of the ASM cores but for some reason certain ROMS don't work properly with them.
The last build of the GP32 MAME (v1.9) used this core however many games just don't work.
The last build of the GP2X MAME (v1.6) used an updated version of this core, however many games *still* don't work.

I'm thinking 1943 here in particular. Supposedly 1943 (Jap) *does* work.

Anyway, my point or question is, why doesn't it work with all games? Are there bugs still present? Is Reesy still working on this core?

I've recompile the latest version of MAME GP32 with the latest version of the DrZ80 core however 1943 still crashes.

I'll do some further compatibility tests soon.

Ravnos posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:53 PM said:
I was under the impression that in the case of both Cyclone and DrZ80, compatibility was less of a priority than pure speed.
Well in this case, pure speed isn't useful if it's not compatible.

It's like saying, "It doesn't work but at least it's fast..."

:)

slaanesh posted on Feb 22 2006 at 03:16 AM said:
Ravnos posted on Feb 22 2006 at 12:53 PM said:
I was under the impression that in the case of both Cyclone and DrZ80, compatibility was less of a priority than pure speed.
Well in this case, pure speed isn't useful if it's not compatible.

It's like saying, "It doesn't work but at least it's fast..."

:)

I suspect that a balance between performance and compability is the name of the game to create *playabilty* but what do I care. I wonder what the next fast core will be.

Back