Beta Zelda ... Kind Of

I am the only one with the freezing issue? Tried ROTH a few more times and it kept freezing after just a few minutes. I'm on hotfix 2 and at 500mhz.

naples39 said:
I am the only one with the freezing issue? Tried ROTH a few more times and it kept freezing after just a few minutes. I'm on hotfix 2 and at 500mhz.
I guess yes :( I don't have that problem.

try flushing the appdata directory

Last edited by a moderator:
sebt3 said:
naples39 said:

Tried that, and it still froze after less than minute of play in the overworld. :(

Guess I'll play with it a little bit and hope for the best.

naples39 said:
Tried that, and it still froze after less than minute of play in the overworld. :(

Hum, I've just tested the US version (I'm playing the french one :p) and I'm able to reproduce. I'll dig deeper later.

sebt3 said:
naples39 said:

Hum, I've just tested the US version (I'm playing the french one :p ) and I'm able to reproduce. I'll dig deeper later.

Great. Looking forward to digging into this one, although this whole deal makes me want a zelda classic port too! There was a gp2x port but it never was totally finished i think. Oh well, maybe someone will do a port of that sometime. This is the kind of stuff always available on the PC that I never tried that much, but for me is perfect on a platform like Pandora.

EDIT: Also, I haven't spent much time actually playing because of my crashing issues, but is it problematic to have weapon select and weapon use as the same button? Won't that bring up up the weapon select dialogue every time you want to use a weapon?

naples39 said:
sebt3 said:
naples39 said:

First game I tried ever on the Pandora and I ran into the freeze as well right after walking outside the house you start in. Played with the buttons a bit to get to know the controls. Music keeps playing and playing and playing.
Pandora is new (arrived today) with hotfix 2 applied.

naples39 said:
I tried the new ROTH pnd this morning, and seems to load run okay with music and controls and everything, but freezes up after about 2 minutes. The music keeps playing but the screen is frozen and no buttons do anything.
I should have started looking with this message. :(
It's now fixed, sorry.
Get it on the file archive.

tbh, I did mention it awhile back too... and I think the oni link one has a freeze up after about 10-15 minutes, but I'll check again before I send you on a wild goose chase ;)

edit: Where are my manners this morning? Thanks again for getting this fixed up! I'm really gonna enjoy playing these!!!

edit 2: hmm, still crashed for me... I'm gonna try and remove the save from the appdata folder, see if that helps...

weird enough deleting my save folder (maybe something in my save was triggering it still?) and it seemed to play fine for about 15 minutes (then I had to do some running around, I'll report back about this later when I have more time)

I did still get oni to crash after 10-15 minutes again.

Just got the new version from the file archive. Is it me or does it run lower? Zelda moved fluently, but not anymore. Can anyone confirm?

edit:
nevermind the above, just discovered Chromium stays in the background even if you quit it. 3 instances were more than enough to slow down ROTH.

edit 2:
Ok, this time I got much further, well into the lower level of the first temple. But then it froze again. Other than that, fantastic work sebt3!

I'm still getting lockups too with the new version. I thought it was fixed at first as it ran for a few minutes, but I've tried ROTH 5 times and never made it past the 5 minute mark, usually lasting less than 1 minute before freezing. Tried ONI and it froze in the second room. :(

I guess we need to give sebt some more time. Thanks for your work on this.

I may be the only that cares, but any plans for another attempted bug fix release? I still get lockups on this.

Also, I do think having item selection and item use use as the same button is a problem. You don't want to bring up the item select menu every time you want to lay a bomb for instance. Why not use SNES layout?

F1 = select
Quit game = Escape/q
enlarge = f
item selection = start
confirm = b
select item = x
use item = a
sword = x
pickup/throw = b
talk/read = b
map = y
look around = left shoulder

naples39 said:
I may be the only that cares, but any plans for another attempted bug fix release? I still get lockups on this.
You're not the only one that care (I had a few PM and mails about this, even ED :p).
I know about the lockups. It is even there in the french versions.

I also know that the lockups are there because of my edits (Scale 2x and inputs).

naples39 said:
Why not use SNES layout?

To know if the lookups are from the scaling or the controls, I plan to create a version with the scaling and without my current control layout (which sucks, I was sure once I saw a video of someone playing and always getting the menu (actual X), So I was to change these anyway : Thanks for the new layout)

The fact is that these are not my main priority, I have 3-4 projects that will be released before I'll dig into this. Sorry about that.

sebt3 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
14mb is worryingly large for a NAND patch.
Agree, and that the reason why I don't think this have to be part of the base OS but only available to those that are willing the trade off (like myself).
I'm open to suggestion of any better solution. :)
Maybe a dir in the root of the SD or in the root of appdata called TIMIDITY could be made? Then all PNDs even other ones like Doom could be made to use it.

DaveC said:
sebt3 said:
SomeGuy99 said:
14mb is worryingly large for a NAND patch.
Agree, and that the reason why I don't think this have to be part of the base OS but only available to those that are willing the trade off (like myself).
I'm open to suggestion of any better solution. :)
Maybe a dir in the root of the SD or in the root of appdata called TIMIDITY could be made? Then all PNDs even other ones like Doom could be made to use it.

This is why dflemstr and I were asking to make it so that certain PNDs could overlay themselves on the filesystem to "install" without actually writing anything, but people disagreed and said we wouldn't need that. <.<

-God Ginrai

naples39 said:
Fair enough, sounds good sebt3.
I reverted my control edit in this http://sebastien.huss.free.fr/pnd/Zelda3T_US.pnd

Would you mind testing it enough to be sure the freeze is gone (remember : original control) ?

sebt3 said:
naples39 said:
Fair enough, sounds good sebt3.
I reverted my control edit in this http://sebastien.huss.free.fr/pnd/Zelda3T_US.pnd

Would you mind testing it enough to be sure the freeze is gone (remember : original control) ?

Tried the new pnd twice and both times it froze in less than 2 minutes. I guess it's not control issues.

naples39 said:
Tried the new pnd twice and both times it froze in less than 2 minutes. I guess it's not control issues.

S**t. I was sure my larges replacements to change the control was the problem (as this part of the code is not the cleanest I've ever see)
I'll need to dig more and more.
Any chance ketm have the same freeze ? (same scalling code)

Hmmm, overlooked the release of ketm. Will have to give it a shot tomorrow.

This is just a small shot in the dark, but could timidity be to blame, I've noticed pickles is having some weird crashes associated with some of his ports that use it also... maybe if somebody has the old timidity-less version to give a test with, might prove useful ;)

Back