Beta Zelda ... Kind Of

Played through "Oni Link Begins" now. Worked flawlessly. The game is awesome: 13 fully fledged and quite complex Zelda dungeons.
Got very far on my own, but in the end 2-3 riddles were just too difficult so had to look up the walkthrough.

"Return of the Hylian" is very worthwhile, but "Oni Link Begins" is about 10 times better.

Now let's see how good "Time to Triumph" is...

Btw., these releases should be put in the News-section.

The first two games - which I played the software doubled pixels versions of - could be "quit" holding the Pandora-button and then killing the application.

Now that I use the hardware-scaled version of "3T" the Pandora-button won't let that menu appear on screen anymore so I have to reset the Pandora.
Is there a button combination to leave the game?

edit: Okay, it's SELECT.

sebt3 said:
Here are the 3 games using hardware scalling as requested :
ROTH
OLB
3T
Plese repport if they work (at least the firsts 2, I know fo the 3t)

ROTH and 3T both run on my Pandora, OLB doesn't start though. Downloaded it 3 times and tried it on a FAT and a ext2 SD card, put in the 'menu' as well as in the 'desktop' pandora-folder.

Also, there is a problem with some sound samples: in both ROTH and 3T the sound that is played when you open a chest is heavily crippled, it sounds really really awful. Same thing (but not as extreme) with the sound that enemies make when they dissapear in a puff of smoke, the sound that appearing text makes in conversations or when reading a sign and picking up cristals from dead enemies. Reducing the effect sound volume doesn't solve the problem.
The music is delivered perfectly.

The versions from openhandhelds.org don't show these problems. The OLB versions runs and there aren't any problems with sound effects.

As for your implemented hardware scaling, I didn't play long enough to encounter any slowdowns in the old version. Looking forward to finally playing through these 3 versions, had to finish Meritous first :)

Thx for your effort sebt3!

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^

The hardware scalling version is only needed when there is fog (so only 3T), where the software scaling become too slow to be full speed.
I'm still recommanding the software scalling (that's why the hardware scalling versions are not on the filearchive).
About the sound, Someone on IRC said some where a bit off and offered to fix them. He got the full package, I'm waiting a give back ;) (I know you're reading this, so I'm looking for you *******n ;P )

sebt3 said:
^^^^

The hardware scalling version is only needed when there is fog (so only 3T), where the software scaling become too slow to be full speed.
I'm still recommanding the software scalling (that's why the hardware scalling versions are not on the filearchive).
About the sound, Someone on IRC said some where a bit off and offered to fix them. He got the full package, I'm waiting a give back ;) (I know you're reading this, so I'm looking for you *******n ;P )

I know :(
Just had too much work and then catched a flu... hopefully I'll be able to work on that soon :(

Last edited:
EvilDragon said:
sebt3 said:
^^^^

Just had too much work and then catched a flu... hopefully I'll be able to work on that soon :(
Scaling seems to of become a problem for games on the Pandora it seems. When it is hardware scaling what chip is doing this?

Haven't noticed any audio or other problems with the hardware scaled 3T so far (haven't played the hardware-scaled versions of the first 2 games).

EvilDragon said:
No rush my friend (that's also why I didn't stated your nick ;) )

TylerAW said:
Scaling seems to of become a problem for games on the Pandora it seems. When it is hardware scaling what chip is doing this?
Scalling is always a problem, pandora or not. Thanks to the hacked SDL lib, it is now very easy to do so. And it's hardware accelerated, I cant see a better way.

john4p said:
Haven't noticed any audio or other problems with the hardware scaled 3T so far (haven't played the hardware-scaled versions of the first 2 games).
Me neither. But about sound, some are very picky. When ED offered to fix some sound, I wasnt sure what that was about. So I just guess these 2 are more picky than I am ;)

sebt3 said:
Me neither. But about sound, some are very picky. When ED offered to fix some sound, I wasnt sure what that was about. So I just guess these 2 are more picky than I am ;)

I'm not very picky with the sound, it just sounded aweful, you couldn't even recognize the melody (opening a chest) because it was so heavily distorted. I just tried to record it for you but somehow the effect disappeared. Now it sounds alright again. Very strange... I'll start playing ROTH soon, will report if I get that sound problem again.

Happy Holidays to all!

Wow, those converted IT files are pretty bad in some aspects.
They don't really care about timing which makes timing issues hard to fix.
Started to fix some of the instrument files to make them sound better though :D

sebt3, how have you converted the midi files to IT?
Do you have the original MIDI files handy as well? (or can I just rip them from the PND?)

EvilDragon said:
Started to fix some of the instrument files to make them sound better though :D
Cool.
If you don't want to work in double, many mid files are shared between the 3 games, so before going to the next check that first ;)

EvilDragon said:
sebt3, how have you converted the midi files to IT?
using openmpt as god ginray suggested in this thread.

EvilDragon said:
Do you have the original MIDI files handy as well? (or can I just rip them from the PND?)
If my memory deserve, they were within the tarballs I send you. (else, yes rip them from the PNDs)

Bumped by request of sebt3 to post this tidbit of information :)
To get the Zelda PNDs to use the patches installed by the timidity installer PND, copy /etc/timidity/timidity.cfg to the appdata directory.

Can someone please help me. I have noticed that the music via timidity is a lot lower than the sampled sounds. Is there a way to boost the volume of the midi music?

easy enough : there is an option page available on the page screen as the select game menu (on the bottom).
These option are just for that ;)

Back