• Quake 3

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Fife

• other

• Total voters

ashadocat

So, witch engine do we use? we have a pro/con sheet over at the wiki.

Last edited by a moderator:
Is the quake engine going to be able to hold more than 32 people on one server? Also as for the upgrade system, I think something similar to COD4 should be used.

Oh, one more thing, It would probably be a good idea to use one of the older quake engines, that way we can have the extra resources for things like voice chat.

The original super fast Quake engine. That is all you need. It can be modded to do whatever you want but don't try to reinvent the wheel or the project will never get off the ground.

Just get a quake editor and fill a level with zombies! Then add mods. No coding required.

I think Quake has a max 16 players. Quake 3 has lots of downloadable bots to and can hold 32 players, we could have 2 or 3 servers, I don't think we'd have more than a 100 people online at a time anyway.

Quake 3 can easily handle over 64 players at once. The number is arbitrary and can actually be modified in the source code. There is an arbitrary limit for 1999-era server hardware(I think 64 is the max at which g_maxClients can be given) and could theoretically be increased even more.

craigix said:
Just get a quake editor and fill a level with zombies! Then add mods. No coding required.
Wouldn't modding quake to add RPG elements or a Dungen Master interface require some sort of programming?

Can anybody tell me what the best way is to go about modding Quake? I had a look at the Quake 3 source, but my first impression is I'll have a hard time working with that.

I like FIFE's sourcecode, though. It's simple enough for me to work with.

Dutch_Cap said:
craigix said:
Wouldn't modding quake to add RPG elements or a Dungen Master interface require some sort of programming?

Can anybody tell me what the best way is to go about modding Quake? I had a look at the Quake 3 source, but my first impression is I'll have a hard time working with that.

Who decided on full-RPG and the interface? He was just suggesting an extremely simple way of doing this. It's good enough for me. FIFE would be good for a single player game, but Quake has already proven that it is excellent for online multiplayer. A 2D online game in FIFE would be harder to make and wouldn't be as much fun.

craigix said:
The original super fast Quake engine. That is all you need. It can be modded to do whatever you want but don't try to reinvent the wheel or the project will never get off the ground.

What about multi-player?...

I think this vote, while a good indicator of what people want, isn't the final decision. We need to gather the developers who will actually be touching the code and ask their opinions on what they think.

Craigix has also said several times that Quake 1 is the best, and I don't think we should shove him to the side. Not only his experience worthy of respect, but I've never seen himself actually repeat his own words that many times. You'd think he was trying to tell us something. ;)

Edit: And this further pushes my point that we need a dedicated space we can work in.

PlopperZ said:
Dutch_Cap said:
craigix said:

Who decided on full-RPG and the interface?

Nobody, but unless we're just making Quake with different artwork, we're going to have to make some kind of changes. Those were the first examples that came to my mind. (Also, I said RPG *elements*, but that's besides the point).

PlopperZ said:
He was just suggesting an extremely simple way of doing this. It's good enough for me. FIFE would be good for a single player game, but Quake has already proven that it is excellent for online multiplayer.
It's simple to get started with, but I think it's going to be much harder to add our own features.

PlopperZ said:
A 2D online game in FIFE would be harder to make and wouldn't be as much fun.
Well, FIFE is much easier to modify than Quake, not to mention fully scriptable in Python. So depending on the kinds and number of features we want, it could actually be easier. In fact, I think the only thing that will be harder in FIFE is getting multiplayer.

Making 2D graphics is much easier than 3D, especially if we go with a simple style. Did I mention we don't have a single 3D artist yet? And I don't see why 2D graphics wouldn't allow for equally great gameplay.

Nobody, but unless we're just making Quake with different artwork, we're going to have to make some kind of changes. Those were the first examples that came to my mind. (Also, I said RPG *elements*, but that's besides the point).

I agree, but I believe the HUD is skinnable and so are weapons, bots, textures, etc. (well, i'm not a 100% sure of this, someone [think it was Hiroe] said everything in Quake is skinnable.)We could probably find someone online who has experience with skinning Quake (I, II, or III) and see if they would be willing to help us out, or at least let us use some of thier already made models. Once that is out of the way, I'm pretty sure there are GUI map creators available (Once again, I have no experience with editing Quake, so don't quote me on this)

Back