Zombie Apocalypse

icurafu said:
What the?!? Is is not already ported. I don't even thing the Pandora has the openGL ES driver yet.

Craigix said before that Quake was ported. Lol, but by the time this project is done, I'm sure there will be a very full speed QuakeIII.
Would be fun if Pandora shipped with OpenArena :)
Someone port it ASAP ;d

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, my bad, for some unknown reason I thought it had already been ported. Still it's GOING to be ported, so we might as well use it.

I say quake 2, people have said it was designed to be edited so the code is well documented. quake 3 also had well documented code. we could also, theoretically use the optimal grid code to connect servers, if were using quake 2

Doesn't really matter, as long as it's Quake. Assuming we went with an MMO TDM style game, our only real difficulty would be making the computer zombies act less like players and more like zombies. I might change some of my ideas on the wiki, to make it easier to program, and to remove things that I don't like anymore; so check that out :) . I'm in favor of progressive stats as long as we can do it using the Quake engine.

Oh quick question, Is the poll just to see what people want, or to decide the fate of the game?

PlopperZ said:
Oh quick question, Is the poll just to see what people want, or to decide the fate of the game?
While I'm all for community input, the decision ultimately belongs with those who create the game, if it ever gets created.

I have written many video games, RPG scripts and such. I would be interested in aiding this project.

I thought on a side not that it would be kick ass if as mentioned earlier there was a top down viewpoint, then when your character entered a building you went into First Person view mode. just a thought. -CB

Dutch_Cap said:
PlopperZ said:
While I'm all for community input, the decision ultimately belongs with those who create the game, if it ever gets created.

I thought the whole point was for this to be a community created game, creating also includes designing.

Communities don't create games, teams of hard working people create games.

Lots and lots of community input is possible and something to be strived for, but designing by committee is usually a bad idea. You can't design every single detail of a game by a massive vote. That way you'll end up with a monster. For this thing to happen at all, some sort of coherent vision is needed.

Dutch_Cap said:
While I'm flattered that you consider me a real programmer, it should be noted that I've never written a full game engine and I haven't written a single piece of networking code in my entire life. You seem to assume I'm a better programmer than JavaJake, but maybe I'm just very good at writing resumés. ;)
Well, keep in mind this'll be one of my first C++ experiences, so don't put too much pressure on me (yet). :)

Communities don't create games, teams of hard working people create games.

Lots and lots of community input is possible and something to be strived for, but designing by committee is usually a bad idea. You can't design every single detail of a game by a massive vote. That way you'll end up with a monster. For this thing to happen at all, some sort of coherent vision is needed.

We don't vote on every single detail. We do what we're doing now, vote on the basic details, such as the engine and gameplay style. Then we get input to see what people want to do with that and see how reasonable those new ideas are and try our best to implement them in the game. I don't know why you think that's a bad idea, but it seems to me that you're deciding things by yourself, and judging by the poll standings, your ideas are not what the majority of people want.

Hiroe said:
I have hosting, I don't have an actual site though. all I have is a clean joomla install
You should probably try installing MediaWiki or some other Wiki. If you need help, both me and javaJake are webdevelopers. :)

PlopperZ said:
Basically that's the idea. Although I'm trying to convince them that the zombies should all be player controlled or all bots, not a mix. I think that it would be better if it was one ongoing game rather than one of increasing difficulty.
You'd have to have advantages and disadvantages to being a person / zombie.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

"The Living" (I'll call it for simplicity): two modes of moving, one slightly slower than the "The Dead's" default walk, another, a sprint. The Living has a fatigue meter, and when "sprinting" that fatigue meter fills up. After certain points a person will trip and fall when running. Every trip / fall there is a some injury, and when health is below a certain point, The Living becomes unable to run for a long period of time. The Living can cross certain obstacles that The Dead cannot without breaking or moving. The Living will also have access to some weapons to fend off The Dead on open ground, and can create barricades. Barricades are created very slowly, however, and other than a simple door block you'll need a team of people to build a decent barricade. The Living also rely on food, so they can maintain their health.

The Dead, however have some powerful options, but are unable to sprint. This means that they can easily surround an injured Living that does not have any weapons or has run out of ammo. Rather than a health meter and fatigue meter, The Dead has a stun meter and frenzy meter. Weapons will stun The Dead, but only a little unless repeatedly attacked, to which point the afflicted Dead is unable to move temporarily. However, when a group of The Dead get together, their Frenzy meter builds up, and they can go into Frenzy mode. The higher the frenzy meter, the more damage they do to The Living and barricades, and the less stun damage they take. A good mob of The Dead can plow through barricades fairly easily, so The Living will have to relocate often, relying on their sprint and limited resource weapons to get away.

I have a couple more ideas, PM me if you'd like.

AireTamStorm said:
You'd have to have advantages and disadvantages to being a person / zombie.

I'd suggest something along the lines of:

"The Living" (I'll call it for simplicity): two modes of moving, one slightly slower than the "The Dead's" default walk, another, a sprint. The Living has a fatigue meter, and when "sprinting" that fatigue meter fills up. After certain points a person will trip and fall when running. Every trip / fall there is a some injury, and when health is below a certain point, The Living becomes unable to run for a long period of time. The Living can cross certain obstacles that The Dead cannot without breaking or moving. The Living will also have access to some weapons to fend off The Dead on open ground, and can create barricades. Barricades are created very slowly, however, and other than a simple door block you'll need a team of people to build a decent barricade. The Living also rely on food, so they can maintain their health.

The Dead, however have some powerful options, but are unable to sprint. This means that they can easily surround an injured Living that does not have any weapons or has run out of ammo. Rather than a health meter and fatigue meter, The Dead has a stun meter and frenzy meter. Weapons will stun The Dead, but only a little unless repeatedly attacked, to which point the afflicted Dead is unable to move temporarily. However, when a group of The Dead get together, their Frenzy meter builds up, and they can go into Frenzy mode. The higher the frenzy meter, the more damage they do to The Living and barricades, and the less stun damage they take. A good mob of The Dead can plow through barricades fairly easily, so The Living will have to relocate often, relying on their sprint and limited resource weapons to get away.

I have a couple more ideas, PM me if you'd like.
I do like and understand your idea, problem with a game that requires two active teams are

1. Might be hard to find enough players, if there is one team and rest are computer you can play on your own (John Rambo is my hero).

2. One team might be more fun to play = hard to find anyone that wants to play the other and if you convince someone then gameplay for them wont be as fun, but more a suffering.

3. Balance, every action has to have an equal reaction for the other team (not needed in the same degree when dealing with bots)

Again with a little side input, I think the zombies should be completely NPC.
When you enter into a house, church, pawnshop, ect. Your camera and viewpoint should swing into a FPS point of view. That way we have both elements of game play, and it doesn't get too complicated. When in the FPS mode it could play something like Terrorist hunt from rainbow six, only your being hunted.

I don't and never have liked the idea of classes where one class is limited to weapons they can and can't use. I have seen real old ladies fire a S&W 500 mag, I figure if they can anybody can. I have always liked the idea of a progressive learning system.

In response to your question, yes you understand right. I actually have in the works an RPG script that does focus on apocalyptic events. I don't know how appropriate it would be in relation to this game as there are no zombies, but I could tweak it or start from scratch. -CB

Alright, good start. How about a phpBB or SMF forum too? Once we have those, I can help set up a Launchpad project and get that all set up and configured.

I'm in favor of Launchpad because it so easy to use. I used SourceForge for a project of mine, and I used basically everything they had. The forum and bug report areas were lacking and rough around the edges, and the entire administration area and developer access stuff is just plain difficult to figure out at first. (Yea, it's a matter of figuring it out and then you're fine, but really, why must they force you to dig through 40-page long documentations to find out how to use some services that aren't accessible from the site itself.)

Launchpad, on the other hand, has it all right there. Everything is super-easy to use and very flexible. It's project hosting for Human Beings, not elite developers. :D

Oh, and before I forget, someone needs to take command and decide who gets to do what, or this project, with all the people we've got, will quickly become uncoordinated.

I volunteer to take command. I don't have any previous experience, but I always listen to what people have to say. I'm not a complete noob either. I'm currently running ubuntu, I have a pretty good idea of what a community can and can't do.

Back