ZX Spectrum +2 ...problem

Fzero

Advanced Member
I've another Speccy 128k +2, but having some problems with it.
Wondering if anyone has suspicions on what might be the failure here.

Also I'm just using RF cable, as don't have an S-Video to Scart to test with.
I'm thinking at the weekend I'll buy one and see if that has any effect.

So when i start up, the boot screen loads ok, then i get the red/cyan stripes as expected.
Then the game name is detected from the tape and displayed in the top left corner as expected.
...But then it goes a bit haywire, thick black & white diagonal stripes start flashing up all over screen, then i can just about make out the games splash screen graphic in the background, but the screen remains covered in thick shades of grey... Like a really badly tuned image is how i can best describe it... But when i click the reset button the Speccy boot screen loads ok again without the badly tuned effect.

Tried a few tapes, same on all, so thinking the Speccy is faulty, or hopefully, a cable issue.

Just thought I'd check see if anyone encountered or might know, before i can pick up a new cable to test with

Have you tried booting to BASIC and trying a simple program (10 PRINT "Levi woz here!" ; 20 GOTO 10; should be enough - with newlines instead of semicolons). Maybe it's a timed issue, and not actually due to the data loading.

I hadn't ... but will try that tonight once I'm home. Cheers

Sounds like a solder joint is being pushed out as the machine warms up - there's no reason why the symptoms should exhibit during the second data phase of loading, as it uses the same code to load the header as the data.

hmm, so looks like I might need to get yet another Speccy?

I'm still not home yet to test, but this is a short vid I took on my phone from other night.
You'll see what I mean by the grey lines all over the screen;

View My Video

That happens on all the few game tapes I tested with. They start of ok, show the coloured lines for a very short while at the start ... then all goes crazy

RIP? :(

Make sure to hang on to it though, never know when someone may have the exact same issue and show how to fix it.

Why not wait for the Spectrum Next?

Last edited:
Yeah I'm a hoarder so I'd definitely keep it anyway, and if one time get a fix all the better.
I will likely pick up the Spectrum Next as well, and for the now i have my Speccy favs running on my Xbox when i need a fix

Back