Zynaddsubfx

Orion4874

Mega GP Mania
I was looking for an open source synthesizer and came across this one. Looks like an awsome program and seems to be praised by most who use it. Can replicate a huge number of instruments, about 300, different effects that can be used simultaneously and has a virtual keyboard if you choose to use it.

Home page: http://zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net/
Source files: http://sourceforge.net/projects/zynaddsubfx/

Hmm, this looks pretty neat.

Does anyone know of a MIDI controller that would be almost as portable as the Pandora, though? I'm thinking of something with very small keys, not nearly as big as a regular MIDI keyboard.

(Would a Pandora even recognize a MIDI controller?)

I've used ZynAddSubFX a lot over the years, it is definitely a fat synth, but its going to be a lot of work to get it running on the Pandora. I started the port, but ran into some issues that I haven't been able to resolve.

For MIDI: Hell yes, the Pandora recognizes the Akai LKP25 and the other Akai mini-controllers PLUG AND PLAY! That is, you just plug it in, and it works! :) This is due to the fact that ED bundled the usb MIDI class drivers in the default firmware image (nudge, nudge) and therefore *ANY* class-compliant MIDI device will work with the Pandora, out of the box. The new Akai MKP25 should be absolutely freakin' awesome when plugged into the Pandora .. ;)

As for synthesizers on Pandora, please stay tuned. My recent work on FlipClock has provided a solution to some of the problems stopping me from releasing a couple synths I've been hacking on .. I'll get some time for this soon. The Pandora is a wicked little music-making machine!

EDIT: BTW, everything on this page works with the Pandora: http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR320051

Thanks for the info, torpor. That's definitely one of the things I hope to use my Pandora for. It would also be nice to add the option to use the Pandora keyboard as a piano keyboard, for any ported synth (I know that some of the trackers for Pandora already have this feature).

I'm also hoping that eventually someone will port something like Jokosher (or Audacity, of course), so that the Pandora could be used as a multi-track studio. I have a nice Zoom mic that could be plugged in and used as a recording device...

I installed Zynaddsubfx on my desktop just to check it out and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed! Lots of cool little features. A Pandora port that you can take with you would be very cool indeed. Hopefully you can get it working torpor, but even if you don't, the attempt is very much appreciated.

I actually built this a while ago and had it working more-or-less fine, so it's definitely doable. Just perhaps in need of over clocking, especially with the heavier effects.

Think it got wiped out at some point tough, and I had held off on releasing it as Torpor was up to stuff at the time, and I didn't want to tread on his toes.
I had also done seq24 and some other bits and pieces ( which was how I could tell Gruso what to do when he came to do seq24 ;) ) but again, held off...
This was all before we even got MIDI support in the firmware, so was a long long time ago ;)

I'll add them to the list to look at again, as they were fairly trivial to compile, as I remember.
Though if someone else is going to do them, feel free! My time is hugely limited again, so no idea when I'll get to them :(

I must refresh all the knowledge I gained in the Seq24 saga and get a proper release out! My Pandora went for a two month world trip after the beta was released, so it all kind of died.

I've got xsynth and pbsynth ported and ready to be PND'ed up .. I just have to work out a proper way to give the user the ability to do MIDI routing, because - while it works for me to hack things up - a MIDI input selector would be a good thing to include in the package.

Fortunately I have some hacking time this weekend while my family go out of town, so maybe I'll try to release this weekend, and then I can have another look at ZynAddSubFX. I also ported it, but it wasn't working so great .. maybe the point about overclocking is really the solution, I'll have another look and see where it gets us.

torpor said:
EDIT: BTW, everything on this page works with the Pandora: http://www.htfr.com/more-info/MR320051
Hard to find are fantastic and are about 10 minutes away from my home. I've purchased anumber of bits and pieces from them over the years and they've been very good.

Highly recommended. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Back