1080P/720P Video Capabilities

Rdr

Still Fresh
I am wondering if anyone knows how well 1080p/720p content can be played? I know its in a Linux environment and I can probably use VLC to play .mkv files but wanted to know if it stutters/choppy and what the bitrate the Wiz can handle.

The wiz only supports video at 640x480 at 30 fps. I don't see why you would want HD video as the screen is only 320x240 and if there is going to be video out it will only be composite out for standard definition tv's.

You shouldn't try it. As far as I know downscaling hd content is really really intensive. Just get regular avi's or convert all the way down to wiz's resolution. No need to put 1900x1080 content on a 320x240 screen, eh?

(converting can be read about on a separate thread, there was one recently, I think what they ended up with was using handbrake to convert. I've watched only a single movie on the wiz, but that was a regular avi (640x480 I think?) and it worked with no problems. Of course you'll save on storage space if you convert.)

Transcoding a larger (say 640*480, for example) file will take time but its important to note that it will enable you to use a lower bitrate to achieve the same relative quality (number of bits per pixel) when on the Wiz screen (perhaps better as the downscaling will not be done on the fly by the Wiz and you can use various filters etc).

Back