$15 Linux Computer?

I can't tell whether this is actually a ready made board or just the SoC. Either way, their estimated $15 cost only happens if they can get 100K pre-orders. Seems to me they're looking for large order volumes.

At $15 I'd be interested to give it a try. Even if it completely fails at everything I wouldn't feel too bad for the risk.

From the site, it seems like a ready made board.

I am loving this low cost single board computer concept. As mobile SoC's get to the processing power of P4's that's really what I think will cause this all to take off. Not many people actually need more then a P4 as long as the computer is not littered with viruses.

There was a discussion about this on the Raspberry Pi forum, recently.

If anyone recalls the posts by lkcl over on GP32X a while ago, about producing an ARM-based netbook, I gather that this project is something to do with him. There's some interesting bits about what this $15 device is and does starting around page four of the linked thread (for example, post 79, which mentions that part of the idea is to split motherboards and CPUs, to avoid abandoning half-designed products due to new hardware iterations disrupting their production). :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd be surprised at $15.

If you have been following the Pi you will know the trouble they are having to reach £20.

It's staggering how cheap tech is getting these days. It makes me wonder some times if we are in a period of deflation regarding tech and if jobs are at risk because of it. The other day I bought a brand new calculator watch which had TV remote functionality built in from ebay. Including shipping from Hong Kong to Australia it was $5. $5 , how do they do it. Surely the postage was more than that.

I though it would be a toy and real crap , but it was pretty decently constructed and works well. It still blows me away at how they can make these things and post it for $5 and still make a profit.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Remote-Control-TV-DVD-SAT-VCR-Calculator-Wrist-Watch-/190452671345?pt=AU_Electronics_Accessories_Remote_Controls&hash=item2c57dd2371#ht_3016wt_976

It's staggering how cheap labour is in Asia. So much for people jumping to their deaths off factory buildings.

It's staggering how cheap labour is in Asia. So much for people jumping to their deaths off factory buildings.

It's true, it makes you appreciate how lucky we are to be living in our countries. The world has a way to go yet before we reach global equality in wages and standard of living.

I'd be surprised at $15.
me too! I guess we'll see if something materialises.

I've got a dead C64 with a keyrah installed that I was going to chuck a beagleboard inside ages ago but found better things to spend the money on. something cheap like this or the raspberry pi and I might get round to doing something with it...

If you have been following the Pi you will know the trouble they are having to reach £20.
The Pi is looking to sell in the tens of thousands. This $15 quote is based on a minimum volume of 100'000 units. I bet if raspi could have gotten 100'000 preorders they'd have been able to bring the price down a little further as well.

Back