N900 Nokia

I was just thinking that I might cancel my Pandora order and get this instead. The only thing making me hesitate is this:

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/314511/nokia_networks_may_reject_n900.html

"The Nokia 770 was the first step, the N900 is the fourth. We have one step to go before we will have what we believe is the future of computers."

They're switching to Qt with the next tablet/phone due late 2010/early 2011 - this is aparently an interrem step. Well, also it looks a little bulky and the battery life is iffy. But other than that the thing looks damn good and people are saying that the build quality is great.

I'm pretty pleased with my G1, but it is good to see Nokia is finally making something that can compete with other smartphones. Specs are great and the keyboard seems to be solid. Maemo also looks good and quite open.

Sorry to go off topic, but look!
scr02.jpg

One of my favorite bands, Nightwish, although that's no surprise considering it's a Finnish phone...
Back to the subject, it's pretty impressive, quite frankly, although, I'd probably pick one of these up if I saw it at Goodwill, I probably wouldn't pay for one firsthand.
Besides, IDK about homebrew/apps/etc., I don't think there will be much for free with that.

thanks for sharing you can get more informations about n900 visit following website:
[Link removed]

Jourdy288 said:
Besides, IDK about homebrew/apps/etc., I don't think there will be much for free with that.

The Maemo/Nokia Tablet community is pretty active. They are even creating their own distro (Mer). They've been porting Linux apps for a while, and I could see them porting Pandora games/apps as well. Yay for a full Linux stack.

Last edited by a moderator:
lulzfish said:
This looks cool, but I'm going to stick with the Pandora / shitty old cell phone setup until I can figure out which is easier to program and how I would go about getting cell service on the N900.

I understand the N900 will be easy to program for, with Maemo being a Debian based distro. Any app that doesn't use the GUI should probably compile with no modification necessary. What would be hard about getting cell service on it? Pop your SIM card in and you're good to go.

shmuck said:
I was just thinking that I might cancel my Pandora order and get this instead. The only thing making me hesitate is this:

http://www.mobilenewscwp.co.uk/News/314511/nokia_networks_may_reject_n900.html

"The Nokia 770 was the first step, the N900 is the fourth. We have one step to go before we will have what we believe is the future of computers."

That's the exact reason I'm thinking of holding off on it. Also, it's looking hardware wise very much like the N95-1, particularly given battery life concerns. A revision or the next generation one is likely to have a lot of that stuff worked out.

Jourdy288 said:

There will be plenty for free. Almost anything that's free for Linux can be free for the N900, unless it's just a program that doesn't work in the form factor.

I just read that N900 will be delayed until december at least in Finland. It's going to be a photo finish between N900 and Pandora arriving in mail, as I have both preordered :). I just might die as a result of the geekgasm if they arrive on the same day :D

I've been watching this off and on, but if I get it it will be after it has been on the market for a while. I like they keyboard on the Pandora better, not only because of the game controls, but because it looks easier to type on.

I hope to hear lots about it from B-ZaR and others on this forum that will directly compare it to the Pandora.

B-ZaR said:
N900 has been released

http://www.reuters.com/article/technologySector/idUSHEL00939820091110
You should do an unboxing on youtube or something, a least take tons of pics. Tell us if you can get any good emulators up and running on it.

second exodous said:
B-ZaR said:
N900 has been released

You should do an unboxing on youtube or something, a least take tons of pics. Tell us if you can get any good emulators up and running on it.

It will take some time for my unit to arrive. I asked my operator's customer service when I can expect mine (ordered it via their web shop), and they estimated they'd ship the first ones around start of december :(. On top of that I'm probably quite far back in the queue. I guess there will be more than enough unboxings and emulator videos by the time I'll get my paws on one.

B-ZaR said:
second exodous said:
B-ZaR said:
N900 has been released

It will take some time for my unit to arrive. I asked my operator's customer service when I can expect mine (ordered it via their web shop), and they estimated they'd ship the first ones around start of december :( . On top of that I'm probably quite far back in the queue. I guess there will be more than enough unboxings and emulator videos by the time I'll get my paws on one.
It will be nice to hear thoughts from a Pandora owner though. It looks like you might get them at the same time also.

New info on N900 availability:

Nokia flagship stores will, at least in GB, start selling it tomorrow (19.11.2009 or 11/19/2009). I assume Finland and US will follow shortly after.

Other stores may start handing the devices over 4.12.2009 (that's 12/4/2009 to you americans), at least in Finland. My retailer assures me I'll get one from the first shipment, and it should arrive on that date (they'll put it in the mail a day before).

second exodous said:
*bump*

No update B-ZaR? I was looking forward to it. Did you get any good emus running on it yet?

Oh, sorry, haven't checked here for a while. It's a great piece of tech, and strudy as hell. I've been so busy with work and wrapping up my studies that I haven't had the time to test any emulators although I have downloaded some. I actually should be working on my thesis right now :D . Sorry for not giving a more detailed report, but if you have any specific questions I'll see what I can tell you. I'll check here every now and then.

EDIT: Oh, and typing is quite fast once you get used to it. Depends a lot on the size of your thumbs I'd imagine though. My fingers are fairly small for a guy of my age.

Ok, gave a quick spin to VGBA with advance wars 2. Not quite fullspeed, but very much playable. Wouldn't try any action games, but turn-based are ok. At least until someone uses a CO power and the emulator freezes :(. I have a scandinavian keyboard on my unit, so cursor keys are kinda hard to use (up/down = Fn+left/right), so I went with the touchsreen controls and they worked great. Again wouldn't use in any action games (single touch and all), but works nicely for games like AW2.

Back