160 Vs 166

Bronze

Website
Visit site
This post relates to my public complaint about the service of GBAx.com
http://www.gp32x.de/board/index.php?showtopic=18642

They have apolagised to me for their service and have now told me that they will no longer be supplying the 166 model, but only the 160.

What I wanted to know from all you good people in the know, is it worth me going elsewhere to ensure I get a 166 model, or shall I make do with a 160?

What is the real difference and am I going to notice?

Last edited by a moderator:
The difference is 6 Mhz :)

It may be a couple of fps in some emu's, but your not exactly going to loose a lot, and you could always try the pencil trick to see if you could get it higher.

Well I gotta be honest with you, I'm not too keen on trying the pencil trick!
I hate to sound like a 'nit-picker', but knowing I'm possibly losing a few FPS here or there is really going to bug me

Besides that, I'm not really happy giving my money to somebody who has messed me about so much.

Please - somebody try to convice me to buy the 160 B)

I honestly can't see it making a difference. 133 to 166 you'd notice the difference 160 to 166 I really doubt it. Plus it's brand new. Look elsewhere and you're going to be looking for a second hand item. Plus go with GBAX and you'll have it sooner. ;)

Well, 1, maybe 2 fps in some emu's, is not going to make that much difference. In complicated emu's like Genesis, you'll be pushed if you get an extra 1 fps.

The alternative is that you can buy second hand, and gamble. It could do 230Mhz, but then again, it could be 133Mhz.

ten pounds from here can give you that extra 6 mhz, trust me, i used it.

EDIT: removed unrelated quote: force of habit

Correct me if i'm wrong, but if it is sold as guaranteed 160 but not 166 then would I be right in assuming overclocking to 166 has been attempted already? And it is just a reject from the 166 mods, therefore even if you used the pencil trick it would most likely no overclock by too much unless you used unsafe voltages.

That is why I would never consider buying a regular GP32 from GBAX as it would be difficult to believe that they do not offload all the overclock rejects as regular GP32. So the likelihood of finding an overclockable GP32 if you buy a regular GP32 is pretty slim.

Probably like buying a lottery scratch card hoping it is winning card when they already vet the card to see if it wins or not.

Bronze posted on Apr 27 2005 at 06:42 PM said:
Sooner?
I've been waiting for over 2 weeks just to get a proper response from GBAx!

I'm swaying towards getting a Zodiac 2 now...

Ok I see what you mean. I have my own issues with GBAX to be honest but you will get a good product and what I mean by quicker is that you could be waiting ages for a good deal on eBay.

Radio posted on Apr 27 2005 at 06:55 PM said:
Bronze posted on Apr 27 2005 at 06:42 PM said:
Sooner?
I've been waiting for over 2 weeks just to get a proper response from GBAx!

I'm swaying towards getting a Zodiac 2 now...

Ok I see what you mean. I have my own issues with GBAX to be honest but you will get a good product and what I mean buy quicker is that you could be waiting ages for a good deal on eBay.

i dont want you to miss my post, just above the prvious two bronze, it will help

Nova posted on Apr 27 2005 at 06:57 PM said:
i dont want you to miss my post, just above the prvious two bronze, it will help

The 160 GPs are basically ones that have been modded the same way but won't clock any higher. Which I believe is the same way that this site would offer. I think Craig mentioned somewhere that the newer gps coming from Gamepark don't seem to be clocking up to 166 so much so I think that's as high as you are going to get with a brand new version.

Radio posted on Apr 27 2005 at 07:01 PM said:
Nova posted on Apr 27 2005 at 06:57 PM said:

The 160 GPs are basically ones that have been modded the same way but won't clock any higher. Which I believe is the same way that this site would offer. I think Craig mentioned somewhere that the newer gps coming from Gamepark don't seem to be clocking up to 166 so much so I think that's as high as you are going to get with a brand new version.

worked for my 160, rammed it right up to a 66

being someone that has 2 gp32s now. I just got a flu that overclocks to 166 and i had a nlu that went to 156mhz, for shits and giggles i tested them both in DRMD as well as opensnex9x and found that both emus run at either the same framerate or 1 or 2 more at 166mhz. I then tried it with GPQuake and found it to also be the same, EXCEPT the sound was better on the 166mhz but the frame rate stayed the same.

I really don't believe 166mhz is critical. now that I have a machine that does it i find that it hardly makes any difference, if any, at all the the programs i ran at 156mhz on my non lit unit.

OK everyone, your making me feel a bit better now and bringing me back on track...

So, Nova how does that mod work then? Can I use it on a GP32 that has already been modded?

Bronze posted on Apr 27 2005 at 05:59 PM said:

They have apolagised to me for their service and have now told me that they will no longer be supplying the 166 model, but only the 160.

What I wanted to know from all you good people in the know, is it worth me going elsewhere to ensure I get a 166 model, or shall I make do with a 160?

Ok Ive done some tests for you

DRMD Sonic 3 (Just on the opening music where you see sonic waving hes finger)

160mhz 32fps
166mhz 38fps

Open Snez 9X Beta 0.3 (Mario World opening screen)

160mhz Min 17fps Max 22fps
166mhz Min 17fps Max 21fps

Quake (Standing still in difficulty select room)

160mhz 6fps solid
166mhz Moves between 6 and 7 fps

Mame Dosnt have a fps option but I cant say I noticed any diff at 166 from 160 playing the first level of Ghosts and Goblins... *I love that game*

So I think the obove shows theres not much in it! And theres always a chance your Gauranteed 160mhz unit will do 166 anyways...

Im sure you'll enjoy your GP whatever one you get.

Have fun,

Steve.

Bronze posted on Apr 27 2005 at 11:59 AM said:

You will not notice a damn thing. Most every thing on the GP32 runs fine between 133 and 156.

If you want to waste your money go ahead. You ahve to ask your self if you buy a CPu for your computer that was 166 or 160, I doubt you would notice your web browser open up any faster, the only real improvement I can see if upgrading to more memory to load larger gaames for SNES...

i woulldnt be able to know for sure, e-mail the guy and ask, i think he will be able to do it and it takes him about 20 minuites. so your gps only gone for 3 days maximum.

Well everybody - I have decided to take the plunge and order a 160

I'm not completely happy with the fact my money is going to GBAx.com but I have little alternative, so I guess they can afford to provide a sloppy service after all

Looking forward to the big day now!

But are you sure you're sure?

I mean really really sure?

:D :blink: :blink: :D :D

Bronze posted on Apr 27 2005 at 05:59 PM said:

Why would they not be getting the 166 MHz version anymore? that doesn't make sense. Or is that they will no longer be selling any GP32s anymore and the 160 ones are all they have left?

I don't understand it.

Back