16MB/128MB SD cards

Blue Protoman

I have three old SD cards lying around; one with 16MB of space, one with 32MB (though it really holds 16), and one with 128 (120) MB of space. No, these are not the fakes that Prometheus always talks about; these are old SD cards. I've formatted them a few days ago, and they work fine on my PC. Anyone know something I could do on my Pandora with these, preferably of the emulation variety? I know I can't hold much, but there has to at least be room for the Odyseey 2 library or something. Suggestions?

Im pretty sure complete sets of Atari 2600, 5200, and 7800 would fit on the 16MB card.

The 128 could prolly get all of the Sega Master System.

As for the 32.....not sure but theres always homebrew.

I have three old SD cards lying around; one with 16MB of space, one with 32MB (though it really holds 16), and one with 128 (120) MB of space. No, these are not the fakes that Prometheus always talks about; these are old SD cards. I've formatted them a few days ago, and they work fine on my PC. Anyone know something I could do on my Pandora with these, preferably of the emulation variety? I know I can't hold much, but there has to at least be room for the Odyseey 2 library or something. Suggestions?

I don't want complete libraries, though, I just want the games that I want. I might look into that, though. My main issue with Atari is that with all the different game modes (ever play Combat?), you'd have to look up a key in the manual. I'd have no room for such a thing on the 16MB.

^ You probably would, actually. AtariAge has plain-text copies of most Atari 2600 manuals.

I bought a shed load of 16MB SMC cards for my GP32. I had one card per 8bit system. It's amazing how many 8bit games you can get on a 16MB smc. Enough to have something for everyone that's for sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would you need to zip them? They're so miniscule it wouldn't make a difference. :p

The emulators are both ports of Stella (by the by, you'll need the earlier one for Pitfall! II: Lost Caverns, as zx-81's port currently has some issues with that game's music). I haven't tried zipped ROMs myself, but I know that Stella supports them, or at least the more recent ones I've tried do. You'll have to try it out yourself.

Why would you need to zip them? They're so miniscule it wouldn't make a difference. :p

The emulators are both ports of Stella (by the by, you'll need the earlier one for Pitfall! II: Lost Caverns, as zx-81's port currently has some issues with that game's music). I haven't tried zipped ROMs myself, but I know that Stella supports them, or at least the more recent ones I've tried do. You'll have to try it out yourself.

When you've got 16 MB of space (15, actually), every kilobyte counts.

What I'm saying is that I'm pretty sure that it doesn't change the size at all if you do that. You would likely be wasting time and effort for no reason.

I don't know. 16 or 32MB seems like too much of a hassle to fill up the cards then swap them around, not to mention carrying them and remembering which one contains what, and where you've left it the last time you used it. You can get a 2GB card for something like £3 and it's a HUNDRED times more space. I wouldn't be bothered with smaller cards.

So my suggestion would be to put them on a display case and stick that on a wall that would tell the history of storage memory. I'm doing that currently with old chips (I got several 386 and 486, and old AMD processors laying around). No better decoration for a geek's bedroom :)

Something like that:

dsc0gg007.jpg

A display case with some old floppy disk (3.5 and 5''), maybe some old 8-bits broken cartdridge, memory cards and microdrives, and more recent hard drive platter would definitely look good.

I just wanna get some use out of them. I don't feel like putting them on display (not too into that stuff), no one will buy these, therefore I want to use them. All the cards look different, anyway, so I'll be able to tell the difference.

I'm doing that currently with old chips (I got several 386 and 486, and old AMD processors laying around).

Absolutely. Freakin'. Awesome.

If you want to get a use out of your tiny SD cards, why not create a micro time capsule? Seems madness to attempt to use them with the Pandora. They cry out for an 8bit system, but the card swapping would be excruciating,

I don't know. 16 or 32MB seems like too much of a hassle to fill up the cards then swap them around, not to mention carrying them and remembering which one contains what, and where you've left it the last time you used it. You can get a 2GB card for something like £3 and it's a HUNDRED times more space. I wouldn't be bothered with smaller cards.

So my suggestion would be to put them on a display case and stick that on a wall that would tell the history of storage memory. I'm doing that currently with old chips (I got several 386 and 486, and old AMD processors laying around). No better decoration for a geek's bedroom :)

Something like that:

dsc0gg007.jpg
A display case with some old floppy disk (3.5 and 5''), maybe some old 8-bits broken cartdridge, memory cards and microdrives, and more recent hard drive platter would definitely look good.

I just remembered I got like half a cubic metre of 3.5" floppy disks, I should make reality of that floppydisk backdrop plan I had.

I've got a similar collection of ancient cards, and I was going to do the card-per-system thing (using the lovely card labels from here). A few things turned me off the idea though:

- The wear & tear of SD swapping

- Potential speed issues (I've had stutter running old ROMs from a 2GB class2 card... how fast is your average 16MB card?)

- File structure. If I just put Atari ROMs on a card, with the PND on another card, there can be complications with the emu saving the file path. If I put the PND on the card with the ROMs, it eats valuable megabytes.

So I reverted to lazily putting everything on one 16GB card. Which, if it ever corrupts, will completely ruin my day.

Back